Shadowy DLC Haunts Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Shadowy DLC Haunts Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

The seers have foreseen that the first DLC pack for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is fated to deliver new characters, towns, dungeons, and weapons.

Appropriately enough, developer Big Huge Studios likes to deliver big, huge, games. Not content with creating "buy new" incentive [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9393-Kingdoms-of-Amalur-Reckoning-Review]), promises a dragon's horde of new content, but players will have to wait till March 20, 2012 to see for themselves.

The Legend of Dead Kel will take players to Gallows End, a mysterious island that holds a brand new quest line, multiple side quests, a type of dungeon called "Dverga Fastings," three Twists of Fate, and a handful of previously unseen armor and weapons. Players will also have access to Gravehal Keep, an estate housing a number of backstory-laden characters just itching to unload their troubles on unsuspecting adventurers. The content is also platform-agnostic, and will be available for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC via either Steam or Origin.

While no price has been set for the DLC yet, it may be a tough sell. By all accounts, Amalur offers a pretty significant amount of content for $60, and there can't be that many people who will have played through every quest or seen every area by March 20. Will players who put the game down (either out of completion or satiation) be willing to drop more money on it for new content when they haven't even finished all the content that came in the box? It will depend, of course, on the DLC's unique qualities and whether or not the titular Dead Kel has anything to do with a beloved 90s sitcom character [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenan_%26_Kel].

Source: Gamespot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-gets-new-dlc-march-20-6360578]

Tonz of Fun

Mar 29, 2011
I'm about 45 hours in on my first character so I'm thinking I'm gonna enjoy the DLC. Hopefully I can finish my Finesse and Magic runs.

JuliusMagnus

Mar 23, 2008
I actually think it's more 'Piraty' than 'Shadowy', maybe 'Shadowy Piraty' since it's seems to be some kind of dead pirate capt'n.

Also it seems to be priced at 9.99 dollars for Steam and Origin:

http://reckoning.amalur.com/r/dlc/dead-kel

(Because of the pricing of their weapons/armor dlc which translated in amount in dollars = amount in euros, I'm assuming it will be 9.99 euros for Europe)

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I hope to see a level cap increase.
I managed to get to level 40 with 1/4th of the story mission left and about 30 side quests still to do.

Though, to be fair, I was raking in around 20-40 percent extra EXP + whatever the extra percent is when you drink the EXP potions.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Oh man, the fact that you referenced and linked to Kenan and Kel just made my night. That was one of my favorite shows as a kid.

And I have Amalur installed and ready to go, but I've been sidetracked by SWTOR, which will be sidetracked by ME3...and I still have Deus Ex: Human Revolution to get through. Why oh why can I not have infinite amounts of time with which to play games?

Although knowing me I'll still be picking up this bit of DLC, seeing as how I've enjoyed Amalur quite a bit.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Tanis said:
I hope to see a level cap increase.
I managed to get to level 40 with 1/4th of the story mission left and about 30 side quests still to do.

Though, to be fair, I was raking in around 20-40 percent extra EXP + whatever the extra percent is when you drink the EXP potions.
I find potions in this game almost negligible. THe effects wear off so fast, you can't carry the effects from one fight to another, so I got tired of going into the quick menu and guzzling them.

Still, when I touched down in Klurikon, I was at Level 30+

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Nice....hope there's some nice daggers in the DLC. ;)
Currently playing as rogue mage and having a blast.

I'm getting side-tracked by the side-quests though, so not very far in the main story. Just so much to go around and do, especially faction quests. Loved House of Ballads and Warsworn.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
but but but
I was gonna make the Kenan and Kel pun
damn you Marshall

OT: seems like it's gonna be worth the cost
as long as they don't start pulling out DLC dungeons out their asses like a Call of Duty map packs though =P

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wow, why? I love the game (though it has its problems), but there is no way I'll be ble to finish the game by then. Though, it does kind of makes sense, as I've always found it hard to get back into games when they release DLC, especially in a combat-centric game as this.

The most important part though is, will it be harder? I'd be much happier if they stopped developing this and instead worked on a patch with a harder difficulty.