Shady Article Talks About Romance In Skyrim

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
The article is here:
http://www.gamebandits.com/news/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim-bethesda-follows-biowares-lead-in-rpg-romance-07211/

If you just want some more info on Skyrim, there's a nicely compiled list of facts about it here:
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1194463-skyrim-information-ii/

To quote the romance article:
"Not one to miss a trend, Bethesda's The Elder Scrolls 5 - Skyrim is going to incorporate player-NPC romantic and evolving friendship angles in its storylines."
"Expect a deep, nuanced, and fully engaged incorporation of emotional elements."

The accuracy of the article is doubtful because it doesn't provide any sources or quotes, but in a hypothetical situation of it being true, what are your thoughts about the possibility of romance in Skyrim?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Eh, I dunno, don't really see it. I'm pretty sure I've read they're doing companions though so maybe.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I can see companions, if they incorporate them the way Obsidian did in New Vegas. But if it is like FO3, I wouldn't bother.

Leole

Jul 24, 2010
It'd probably have the same function as your maid in Oblivion. She stays at your house, she gives you food, and they'll probably add a "Get busy" option in which you get laid, and get 25% exp bonus.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
I know what it is

Perk Name
Bondage- Experienced Tyral BDSM and Torture sex - Damage Resistance plus 10

Shadowfaze

Jul 15, 2009
Soo... The thinking here is i can slay dragons during the day, then go sleep with hot peasant girls at night? I am SO doing that.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Well The Elder Scrolls Series is a very large open world game. You never stay in a place for long and you can kill anyone you meet... and they never come back (Except for city guards). But it works in games like Mass Effect because you actually have teamates and you don't have all of that freedom you have in The Elder Scrolls series/ So basically I do not think it is a good idea, nor do I think it would work in the slightest.

C-Mag

Jun 17, 2011
Eh, nah don't want it. Skyrim and TES as a whole are adventure games, not simulators, hell the setting was based on the Bethesda team's Dungeons and Dragons world!

It would work about as well as it does in Fable, I.E. not at all. I play TES for the beautiful worlds, questing, role playing and so forth. I have no interest in trying to form a romantic relationship with an NPC. Sure I want a good story, but getting it on with companions isn't good story. If I'm playing an RPG like Skyrim then I don't really play with a certain character in mind, I'm just me.

So in short, games that attempt to get the player involved in a romantic relationship between an NPC and themselves when the PC has no set personality or even spoken lines, will always fail.

Fortunately I'm pretty much certain that info is false, interactions of that kind haven't been mentioned by the team even in passing. They know what kind of game Skyrim is, and they know how to handle it.

N1ceDreamz

Mar 23, 2010
The only way I can see this working is if Bethesda manage to make the player give a shit about the characters in this game, otherwise it will be as pointless as it was in Fable.

Sigma Van Lockheart

Jun 7, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
If they really did have that in Skyrim, it'd be risky because what if your loved one in the game dies while attending on a mission with you? Plus who could you hook up with and can it be anyone outside the species you picked? Just curious now.
Why would a Breton and an Imperial not be able to hook up or a Bosmer and an Altmer. There has been cross breading in Elder Scroll games in oblivion the Grey prince for example he is half orc half vampire but it never does tell you what race his vampire father was and as far as I know there are also other cross race people in other games.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
interesting.
I wonder if this can be used to lower prices in stores or change the ending to certain quests.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Sigma Van Lockheart said:
Caramel Frappe said:
If they really did have that in Skyrim, it'd be risky because what if your loved one in the game dies while attending on a mission with you? Plus who could you hook up with and can it be anyone outside the species you picked? Just curious now.
Why would a Breton and an Imperial not be able to hook up or a Bosmer and an Altmer. There has been cross breading in Elder Scroll games in oblivion the Grey prince for example he is half orc half vampire but it never does tell you what race his vampire father was and as far as I know there are also other cross race people in other games.
you can find his father in a subquest.
he looked human (I think he was a Imperial)

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
Meh, most romances in videogames of today feels shallow and poorly delivered. Bethesda haven't really made a game with any kind of story depth since Morrowind either.

So for me Skyrim is just gonna be all about me playing badass barbarian that don't give a crap about other peoples feelings.

Citizen Snips

A Seldom Used Crab
May 13, 2009
Sigma Van Lockheart said:
Caramel Frappe said:
The Lord was an Imperial, since Vampirism isn't a species but a disease. I'm pretty sure I've read in the journals that both the Khajiit and Argonians both stick to the own races with very rare exceptions. I also don't think an Altmer would mate with any other elf, because they believe they are the superior High Elves. Likewise the Dunmer and Bosmer would probably stick with their own species of elf. I could see Bretons, Redguards, Imperials, and Nords but only because they are all human races.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
I'd like to see it, but I won't trust this rumor until I hear it from a more official source.

Wierdguy

Feb 16, 2011
To me it would add anotehr layer of interest on an already VERY interesting game. Though they would have to be very carefull when applying it because if they do it badly it could ruin some of the games immersion and the whole general feel of the game.

IF they actually have added it then color me intrigued - but Ill proceed a bit more carefully.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Meh if it's done well it's a nice touch but I doubt I'll personally bother with it. Partly because my main RP-ing character would have no interest in a relationship and partly because I don't think it fits the game very well.