Shamus Plays: Champions Online, Part 9

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Shamus Plays: Champions Online, Part 9

Star on Chest returns to Millennium City and must hunt down a cunning ping-pong ball thief.

Read Full Article

DiscoAtThePanic

Sep 3, 2010
Wonderful Series. Much better than playing the game. I hated Foxbat with a passion and the "Funny" voice just made it more grating.

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
DiscoAtThePanic said:
Wonderful Series. Much better than playing the game. I hated Foxbat with a passion and the "Funny" voice just made it more grating.
He was voiced by Bill Roper.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
NO! Stop the crime! It's Zany, and delightful! I fear the city is doomed!

Can't wait to see what foxbat is like

Hijax

Jun 1, 2009
An ambushing bot falls on the balls, which more or less makes the whole trip worth it, right there.
This. Is. Awesome.
who knew you could weaponize ping-pong balls that way?

Feb 13, 2008
Somewhere in southern California, a game developer is laughing his ass off at me.
Not just him. :)

But I guess that having gone through that, (I honestly thought it might get a little more sane when being back at the City), I guess the designers are more than past the need for recreational drugs.

I've read the PnP Champions. Nothing about Cliffs anywhere.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
I hated this part of the level grind and largely why I never picked this game up. You had the Foxbat Quest chain, or you could talk to the Chief near the prison for a "Kill X of Y" quests of the local gangs.

The only upside were some of the Red Banner quests since it at least felt like a cheesy Kung-fu action flick.

The problem is that from 10-15ish this was the only stuff you could do. In a game where you could create hundreds of costumes and builds it kill the replay value something fierce unless you grouped regularly.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
Another wonderful episode of...Chimestoppers!

[sub]Come on, you laughed didn't you?[/sub]

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
hopefully the adition of the new adventures packs has made the grind a little less repetitive for those of us with alts, i do wonder why the emergency services havent sorted out all the fires sometimes though but i guess the gangs and stuff kinda get in the way or something...

DiscoAtThePanic

Sep 3, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:
NO! Stop the crime! It's Zany, and delightful! I fear the city is doomed!

Can't wait to see what foxbat is like
Imagine a parody of batman where, instead of a grim and realistic superhero, it was as 70's sitcom stereotype of a superhero

ninja555

Mar 21, 2009
Champions seems like everything bad about superheros cramped into one game. Forget interesting people, coherency, and everything else you love about superheros lets just put a theme park filled with robot cowboys near a terrorist base.

viciouspen

Dec 23, 2007
Actually Shamus those statues in Ren Center are of the people who died when Destroyer attacked.

Those are the heroes of old Detroit that died fighting Destroyer.
The monument park and center just off of Ren center explains that with info plaques and a mission designed specifically to introduce you to the lore of the martyred heroes, and to explain why those statues are featured throughout the city.

Darenus

Apr 10, 2008
I just couldn't stop laughing at the despicable building-market-value-ruining plan of yours... Friendship, Unity, Champions and Kids... You sir are made of pure genious =p

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Despitehaving read all these over and over on your site, I continue to re-read them here. Good stuff! I tried the free demo again recently, to see if I could get back in to Champions...no go. If anything it was more painful, seeing as how I have a beautiful new computer to run it this year, as opposed to the barely playable experience I had last year on my old rig; graphics were now perfect, but it still felt the same. Sigh.

My sincerest hope is that Cryptic reads these (or has read them) and eventually realizes how badly it needs to deconstruct their quests....Turbine apparently did it with LOTRO (play the intro side for men and hobbits...it smells strongly of "we have listened to Lulzy's critique and obeyed!") but then again, Turbine is an amazing company.

I really want Cryptic to show they can improve....dramatically!....now that they have in their claws the Neverwinter Nights property. Oh, the humanity!!!!!