Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 13

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 13

Items needed to bust ghosts in the shire: bear pelts, meat, and incendiary devices.

Read Full Article

Feb 13, 2008
As a Hobbit, Elf, Dwarf and Human; I have performed many tasks for the Hobbits. Delivering Pies, Finding Seeds in the Jaws of Killer Insects, Delivering Love Letters, Fighting Crows, Healing Dogs, Buying them Breakfast... (Capitals are for emphasis)

I cannot wait for the Scouring of the Shires. I will gladly fund Sauron in this respect.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Toasty Virus said:
You really gotta hate quest givers

Good show Shamus
Yeah...they give you all the work to do and always give so little back for all the effort ><

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Wow still in the Shire?

If I had all the time in the world, I might play an MMO, but probably not anyway.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Wow. Looks like hobbits haven't reached the point of requiring empirical evidence. Somewhere in the Shire there's a hobbit staring at a freshly-made jar of sulphuric acid and thinking it's elixir of life.

tgr

Feb 3, 2008
Heh, good read. I'm pretty sure I detected a slight hint of sarcasm here and there.

Remzer

Provider of Nutrients
Jul 29, 2009
And Lulzy does it again.

Good job, as usual!

My quote of the day : the entire paragraph ending with "And I wish it was possible to be more sarcastic than I am now." Gold.

GreyDuck

Jan 26, 2010
I particularly enjoyed, "He's [sic] tells me that he's at his wit's end, but I'm willing to bet his wits ran out long before I showed up." I've gotta use that, some day...

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Okay, I gotta admit, I was getting a little dumbfounded by the ridiculous quests... but that squirrel? Priceless XD That joke alone saves these game-designers from a sound beating and a firecracker enema.

DungeonHamster

Dec 7, 2009
I don't have my copy of the Return of the King with me right now, so I can't check the appendices for exact dates, but according to The Hobbit the Old Took died at the age of 130 when Bilbo was still young. When the four hobbits left the Shire, Frodo had just turned 50, so Bilbo should be 118 or something close to that, so the Old Took dying a century ago should be more or less accurate, assuming that the MMO is set during the journeys of the fellowship.

While I'm posting anyways, I should tell you that I've enjoyed your stories of them (both this and the Star On Chest series) much more than I enjoy actually playing MMO's. Not that I'm a particularly big fan of MMO's, but still...

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
And here I thought hobbits were quaint simple folks, but in actuality they are all really a bunch of crazy eccentric loons.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
ROFL, this story writes itself! It's hard to believe that the quests can be this ridiculous, but they are. Even for an MMOG.

I loved the part about the boar ribs: there was an identical quest in WoW when you are starting out as a dwarf. They have plenty of spices, but you'll have to kill the boars yourself. You know, the ones you just brought to the brink of extinction because somebody didn't like having them near his tent. To add insult to injury, the next area has a quest to make sausage, which requires you getting basically all of the ingredients: spider gall, boar meat, and something else equally appalling. And of course, only 1/10th of all boars actually have meat (apparently they are all starving, hence the reason we are killing them off).

For a hero, you spend an awful lot of time committing genocide on the whim of a total stranger. I wonder if Superman ever had that problem.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this series. Keep it up, Shamus!

Wintio

Jul 29, 2009
I've read thirteen of these now and feel it's about time I chipped in. On the basis of these articles alone I signed up to play LOTRO and I'm happy to say it's the best MMO I've ever played. These updates have been fantastic and in my opinion are the best thing to come out every week (which is not easy since they come out on the same day as my beloved ZP). All I can say is I fear that Shamus may stop this series before the wonderful story comes anywhere near conclusion, which would be a horrible shame. I'm in Moria at the moment and there's humour to be found the whole way.

Seriously, keep it up and I promise you'll always have at least one reader a week.