Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 3

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Seriously, I hate when they have you kill 10 Slightly Agitated Spiders and the next quest has you kill 12 Very Angry Spiders when you have to pass by the Very Angrys to get to the Slightly Agitateds.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
The Great JT said:
Seriously, I hate when they have you kill 10 Slightly Agitated Spiders and the next quest has you kill 12 Very Angry Spiders when you have to pass by the Very Angrys to get to the Slightly Agitateds.
Very very true, and I hate this too. Thankfully LOTRO has improved at this somewhat, but they haven't shaken it entirely.. even some of the new quests/areas in the newest expansion do it. Argh.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Instead of guarding the food, I'd like to think they were figuring how to part it so each soldier has adequate nutrients for the battle ahead. It's the only RATIONal thing I can see them doing.

GreyDuck

Jan 26, 2010
Was that... a stuffed and mounted GIANT SPIDER on the wall in that last shot?

Sorry, that's absolutely NOT a trophy I'd want in my lodge hall! GAH!

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
As soon as I got concerned that he might someday run out of the desire to write about loving clothes so much he'll kill for them, suddenly the murder becomes easier. I must admit, you've written yourself well out of a corner there Shamus!

I do agree about the quests too. I remember in some early World of Warcraft stuff they'd constantly be sending me back to the same place to kill different things, even though I've likely killed a dozen of them last time. Of course my favorite one is "You should collect these things off these guys!" Well, why didn't you tell me before I killed a dozen of them? They've probably cleaned up the bodies by now.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Ah frick! I posted a comment on the wrong thread. That's what I get for staying up too late.

NickIsCool

Nov 18, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Instead of guarding the food, I'd like to think they were figuring how to part it so each soldier has adequate nutrients for the battle ahead. It's the only RATIONal thing I can see them doing.
i see what you did there

OT:i find this to be very similar to when i played a trial for this with my GF

i got bored of killing spiders really fast (they're every where :{O <--surprised face with mustache)

i like they way you tell the story more, it makes it funny

P.S. are you gonna do more bits like this when you finish doing it with LotRO?

and if so, what MMO will you use next?

dirk45

Mar 20, 2009
Really great, Shamus. I love this humour. Being a LotROist since beta I'll be following you.

Azure-Supernova said:
I'm enjoying this :3 More and more each time! It's making me want to play it too...
Join the free trial. 2 weeks of time to decide.

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
Outta the way, peck! (Willow)

All this talk of clothes brought me to think about what sort of undergarments hobbits wear. Is it boxers, briefs, thongs, panties, sumo wrappings, goblins? I also noticed in one of your screenshots with Mudbrick that you're simply a scaled down model, and that your hobbitish proportions are deficient. What cup size are you using, Shamus? And by the way, if the bardic career doesn't carry a tune for you, I know for certain, that at your stature, many a human could provide an alternative source of income.

These are just tangent thoughts though. I am enjoying your commentary on the paths of Middle Earth. Does your neck get tired of looking up at those mutant humies?

lluewhyn

Aug 26, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
The Great JT said:
Very very true, and I hate this too. Thankfully LOTRO has improved at this somewhat, but they haven't shaken it entirely.. even some of the new quests/areas in the newest expansion do it. Argh.
The worst example is when the next step of a quest chain has you kill a boss who was wandering around the same area where you just were, and you likely already defeated them. Not sure if the quest chain works like this, but having to kill that Gaunt Man after picking up the Urn of the Red Maid.

Maybe the next generations of MMOs will have it set up so you get a quest line like, "Next, I need you to....oh wait, you already did that! Here's your reward!"

You get just one popular MMO doing that, and people wouldn't want to go back to the ones that don't.

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
lluewhyn said:
Maybe the next generations of MMOs will have it set up so you get a quest line like, "Next, I need you to....oh wait, you already did that! Here's your reward!"

You get just one popular MMO doing that, and people wouldn't want to go back to the ones that don't.
I don't know about MMOs, but there are RPGs that do this, in very unrealistic ways. As an example, let's say there's a quest to find a lost locket for some clueless bimbo. You don't have the quest, but stumbled on the locket by luck. You approach the NPC (you've never met before) and are immediately met with, "My locket! You found it! Here, take this reward, and my thanks!"

Excuse me? You have X-Ray vision? See right into my pocket/pack? Locket, what locket? Oh that, my mother gave it to me years ago. Now get away from me you crazy *****.

You can adjust this example as needed, to cover pretty much any quest. In many games these days, the player has zero dialogue choices. The game designers get around the above situation by assuming a lot of things on your behalf. I hate it.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Never, ever underestimate the effect of sheep neutralization in an armed conflict!

Genghis Khan knew it, Sun Tzu knew it, Julius Caesar knew it, Churchill knew it... alas it seems to have been forgotten lately.

Keep up the good work :)