Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 4

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Shamus Young said:
Fenton has been drooling over this bit of barely-cooked meat he's put on the fire. He's got these wild, twitchy eyes. It looks like he's doing all the cooking with his bare hands.
I do believe you meant BEAR hands.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
These pieces are all excellent! I'm looking forward to the next one. Keep making limericks!

Although, what the hell is up with the cake quest? That was the most retarded and childish quest I have ver seen. Srsly...!

dirk45

Mar 20, 2009
This is getting more and more incredible. I already have the comparison of LotRO rings to swastikas in my official EU-LotRO forum sig. But I guess I'll have to exchange it for the "ran out of clothes" line.

And I'm really looking forward to Lulzy meeting Sara Oakenheart.

lluewhyn

Aug 26, 2008
dirk45 said:
And I'm really looking forward to Lulzy meeting Sara Oakenheart.
Oakheart. While it would be great to see the response of Lulzy to that plot arc, I'm guessing that that would be way, way past the point this Stolen Pixels series would end, unless he makes it as long as the DM of the Rings.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
Hah! This is why the men don't take the women seriously.

As for why the guy wanted you to kill the flies, with a second glance I think I have an answer.

He does not leave his meat unattended unless he is killing more meat. That is his law. I think.

Makes it make sense, I suppose.

In somewhat related news, me and a friend were talking, and you know what would make an awesome MMO? Redwall.

I think that'd be awesome fun, and someone could make it work. But apparently the author doesn't like video games or something. Still, I await the day that I can badger-kill some dude.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
These townspeople deserve to die. You should just kill them and take the clothes. Hell, you can probably wipe them all out, except for the bear killer.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Hey, that Fenton guy does look badass. If they draft him for town guard they shouldn't have any problems with bandits... as long as there are no flies about.

Great work Shamus, keep it up!

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
My god, this series is fucking hilarious! I'm loving every bit of it. The songs and limericks are well written and fit exactly what I would expect a minstrel to write. Your character's sarcasm and disdain comes through well and seems well deserved. It really shows how silly quests are in RPGs -- especially MMORPGs. The brave warrior can't kill a pig, the jailer intends to make the cold-hearted criminal talk by baking him a pie, etc. Inevitably, all of these story lines sound silly because the stupid bastards won't just do the easy work by themselves.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
In defense of poor Old Bloodtusk, and those who fear him, he actually was a rather fearsome enemy at that point in the game at one time. He generally was best taken on with a team of at least two players and cost many an overeager solo'er their title for reaching level 10 without dying. He is now, however, toned down to laughable in terms of difficulty.

Also, these quests really are as silly as Shamus makes them out to be. There are a lot of quests in LOTRO that tell a good tale and have a very serious tone.. but these ones and many in the Shire do not. Which is why I'm hoping once Lolzy leaves Archet, she heads straight to the Shire for further hilarity. :)

Banaticus

Jan 26, 2008
Well, to be fair, when LotRO launched, Old Bloodtusk was a serious adversary. You had to grind up to level 5 or 6 to even have a shot at soloing him and if you grouped up to kill him then you had to wait and camp him once for each person in the fellowship. It was easy to see that, although Cob might think he could hold off brigands, taking out that pig was no easy sneezy task.

The weapons that Cob gave as a reward for that quest were what really made the whole prequel instance worth it -- they were good for the next few levels until you started hitting the late fellowship Chetwood quests down by Combe.

Nowdays, the prequel instance is simply a quick source for xp, Old Bloodtusk has been nerfed almost down to nothingness and the reward weapons have been nerfed as well (the last time I played through, I replaced mine 15-20 minutes later).

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Yes, way back when I first encountered Old Bloodutsk he kicked my ass....several times. He even kicked my ass when two of us tried to gank him. I hated that pig, it was worse than Hogger. Who himself seems to have been gimped, I might add...

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
Yeah, that quest was odd. I love this game though, and this comic is just making me love it more.

MimsySnark

Cat's Meow
Jan 18, 2010
I love Lulzy, with her very fine hat, and her limericks! How many times have I questioned NPC requests when playing RPGs--"you want me to pick berries??--why can't you do it yourself?--I'm a warrior!"
Incidentally, I only just noticed that this is the same guy who wrote "DM of the Rings", of which I have VERY fond memories--that is my personal favorite webcomic ever, and I can't believe it took me so long to read anything else from Seamus. I like the way he thinks.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
The day will come when MMORPGs have a minigame that involves repeatedly kneeing a prisoner in the groin until they've been sufficiently coerced. When that day comes, I will rejoice.

Another excellent piece, Shamus!