Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 9

Amarsir

Jul 7, 2009
Best one yet!

OT: Some of those textures, especially the grass, look really bad. The Bag End roof was particularly glaring.

MimsySnark

Cat's Meow
Jan 18, 2010
All right, it's official: This feature has just surpassed Zero Punctuation for me! So hysterically funny! Plus, I've been enlightened--I played LOTRO for about a week, and decided not to stick with it primarily because all I did was run from town to town delivering mail. And I never even realized I got the speed boost while carrying mail! My eyes are opened to the possibilities of fun in LOTRO.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Shamus you fool Turbine doesn't negotiate with terrorists besides I'm sure there's another auction house nearby

0over0

Dec 30, 2006
Funny. Very funny. This might be the best one so far--looking forward to the next!

wickedpt

Mar 23, 2009
Amarsir said:
Best one yet!

OT: Some of those textures, especially the grass, look really bad. The Bag End roof was particularly glaring.
He is not playing in High Textures. The textures in this game are really good if you have DX10 and a good graphics card.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
wickedpt said:
Amarsir said:
Best one yet!

He is not playing in High Textures. The textures in this game are really good if you have DX10 and a good graphics card.
This is actually a problem with the Turbine assets - they vary too much in detail levels. So you'll end up with two surfaces next to each other, one with 8x the image data as its neighbor. Yes, you CAN fix this by cranking up the resolution, but that's an extremely wasteful brute-force solution. Adjacent objects should never be more than double their neighbors. If 128x128 texture is covering a square meter surface, then the next surface shouldn't be more than 256x256. Turbine will occasionally jump from 64 to 512, and that will always look bad, regardless of how much you spend on graphics cards.

EDIT: Shorter answer: It's not a problem with their technology, it's a problem with their art process and policies.

dirk45

Mar 20, 2009
I really can't wait until Lulzy will be doing the cake delivery quests. But did Lulzy try and ask for dye in the chat channels? I guess someone will easily send a gift to such a nice young hobbit girl. I'd do immediately - if Lulzy were on Belegaer.

BTW high end chars often have hundreds of gold...

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
This series is amazing, it just gets better and better. It is like taking a happy pill. I come back to my room, tired and depressed about my college classes, then I read this and it erases all the crap that happened during the day(I'll impress you next time, creative writing professor!)

unclemuzza

Mar 20, 2010
This series is hilarious and I hope it doesn't end too soon in favour of a Star Trek online version.

Hallwine

Mar 21, 2010
Outstanding, this is so funny. I actually liked the silly shire quests, Pies, cakes, post, inn league, pub crawling.... /burp

Gantoris13

Mar 25, 2010
Had me laughing so hard about talking to the post master, "yea I know where it goes" zoooom. If only NPCs in games could be dynamic enough to yell at you when doing stuff like this, it would make it that much more hillarious!

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
the whole dumping mail bit is just too funny xD or...not dumping them from now on I guess

also nice touch with the LOTR trivia...I need to re-read the books lol