Share some things that make you smile!

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
My honest question is are languages with absurdity such as these we've discussed grammatically and phonetically consistent enough that you could say these words to a native speaker, and they'd know how to spell them or even recognize them. As in the case of @Chimpzy 's ex: could she walk into a Starbucks and the barista ask for her name, she says "Kwee-vah," and the barista's just like "of course, 'C-A-I-O-M-H-E', duh."
I mean, in Ireland she probably could. Anywhere else? I'm guessing no.

As for "lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas", it means "airplane jet turbine engine auxiliary mechanic non-commissioned officer student", so I'm assuming someone training to become a sargeant or whatever who works as junior mechanic on military plans. Because Finnish is one of those languages where it's theoretically possible to make infinitely long compound words by adding more and more descriptors, and have that make grammatical sense. I'm guessing a Finnish person could spell it, because mostly made up of otherwise common words the average person should know. Someone in the Finnish air force would certainly know.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
On the flip side, if you're an adult who can't handle the occasional jalapeno pepper, stick to gruel or baby food for your sustenance; some of us want a bit of actual burn for our "spicy" buck.
Wow, never thought I'd see someone dudebro the act of not liking spicy foods. Well, at least not anyone after the 90s.

Also this feels more like a shower thoughts post? Not really sure what about this is a "makes me smile" type of comment.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Wow, never thought I'd see someone dudebro the act of not liking spicy foods. Well, at least not anyone after the 90s.
It was being more facetious than actually condemning anyone for not liking spicy food. I don't care either way what people prefer; I just don't like non-spicy food being advertised as "spicy" when the product is clearly designed to not offend those who don't like spice. If you have "Cheetos" and "Spicy Cheetos," those who don't like spice likely won't buy the "spicy," ones, so why do those of us who WANT some heat have to be denied what we're paying for? Particularly when commercials and such show people eating it and wiping their brow in exasperation or blowing fire out of their mouths.

Also this feels more like a shower thoughts post? Not really sure what about this is a "makes me smile" type of comment.
And you would be correct; just realized I clicked on the wrong thread when I posted this. Oh well, into he annals of history it goes, in the wrong thread...

1619634024709.png

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I mean, in Ireland she probably could. Anywhere else? I'm guessing no.

As for "lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas", it means "airplane jet turbine engine auxiliary mechanic non-commissioned officer student", so I'm assuming someone training to become a sargeant or whatever who works as junior mechanic on military plans. Because Finnish is one of those languages where it's theoretically possible to make infinitely long compound words by adding more and more descriptors, and have that make grammatical sense. I'm guessing a Finnish person could spell it, because mostly made up of otherwise common words the average person should know. Someone in the Finnish air force would certainly know.
Yeah, I looked up that word immediately when you posted it (preparing to call you on your shit) and saw that. I guess the question is why make it an obnoxiously long single word? What's the sense/purpose? If native speakers hear the individual words it comprises to make sense of it, why omit the spaces and create a word that has to wrap 14 times in a text document? I'm perfectly fine being a "supply chain analyst;" nothing of sense is gained by making me a "supplychainanalyst." The Finns get a pas, though; my favorite Formula 1 driver is their native son "Valtteribottasformula1driverwhoqualifieshighthenisovertakenalmostimmediatelyonlytofinishsecondbehindhisteammatelewishalmiltonwhoapparentlyneverloses;" we call him "Bottas" for short.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Now there's something ... different. If you can't make out what it says, the Wiesn, the local name for the grounds near Munich, Germany where Oktoberfest is anually held, will this year be relocated to an area near the marina in Dubai.

That's right. Oktoberfest. In Dubai. Where drinking alcohol is illegal. No problem tho, the festival grounds will be given an exception similar to the existing one for hotels. Attendees will be ferried to and from their hotels using shuttle buses i.e. vomit comets.

Can't imagine how this could go wrong.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Ok, another long one. And to be fair, I just like Drawfee. I love seeing the creative process and I find the group's banter enjoyable. To date, my favorite of their works is probably the episode where Julia drew Waluigi in the style of Junji Ito (Which gave us the gems of two "traditional Denmark greetings")...but then they go and release this:

It doesn't have me clutching my sides with laughter the way that the aforementioned episode did, but hot damn do I love everyone's output here.

Reactions: gorfias

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Coming off the back of my post in the “What Do You Do?” thread, today, a report came in my email that marks a very delightful hallmark of my career.

In 2010, I moved to Texas for my job and met a woman by the name of Elvira. She was an older lady, maybe early 60s, and one of her weekly tasks was to produce an inbound forecast for our distribution hubs. It was a highly manual process involving greenbar paper and rulers, multiple Excel forms, a bunch of guessing, assumption and estimation, etc. It took her a WEEK to produce this report; she’d been doing this for about 10 years. Our [then] new team managed to automate some of the process, and got it down to three days after MONTHS of effort. Over out the next 10 years, Elvira retired (about 9 years ago,) and the forecast had changed hands a dozen times, each time finding its way inexorably back to me as the one constant in its life. It’s a massive pain in the ass; even when my titles changed, it found me because I was one of very few people (like 4 people) who knew how it worked. Alas, every Friday, I got it out by end of day like clockwork.

But today, at 8:30am, the report showed up in my inbox. It has been 100% automated after almost 20 years of its existence. Working with our team in India, we managed to make the whole thing effectively hands-free, and I never have to produce it again. I feel like a parent whose worthless problem child finally got a job and has moved out. In that same parental vein, it’s oddly sad because it doesn’t “need me” anymore; it’s all grown up and self-sufficient. I ran it the “old way” today to check and ensure its automated version married up (it did,) and now it’s all on its own.

I’ve archived the myriad Access databases, emailed all the people who emailed me daily reports for manual input and announced my “retirement” from the forecast. It’s a momentous day.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My Afro Samurai movies came in today! Afro Samurai Resurrection came with this awesome art book....and this old anime DVD advert that I will never use, because some of the old anime on the list I already got or do not want! HAHAH! Some of these anime distributors on the list don't even exist anymore.

My parents are cooking polish sausage, and sauteing orange, red, yellow peppers, and green onions. It's my dinner for tonight!

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
@BrawlMan Saw this, thought of you, from our previous discussion about autocorrect.

Disclaimer: This is a commercial, the product is likely a piece of shit, and I'm not trying to give them free traffic, but, the name, THE NAME! Now I just want them to make a cooking product called the Cooch Potato and I'll be happy. Can probably get Gweneth Paltrow to promote it.