Share some things that make you smile!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Since the pandemic and working from home, my girlfriend and I have been spending a LOT of time on our back patio. So much so, that we started recognizing the specific wildlife that frequents our yard, from squirrels to birds and specifically Brenda, Buster and Bingo, the family of rabbits living under our deck. I've become so familiar with the latter, I promised my gf's sister that I would hold one of our rabbits by the end of the summer.

Due to my gf's deal with cancer treatments and my wrenching my shoulder a few weeks ago which resulted in what's most certainly a torn rotator cuff, we hired a lawn service to mow once weekly. Nice guy, Jose, comes every Friday, and is able to knock out our lawn in about 30 minutes with his industrial-strength equipment, and he's very systematic; never stops moving until he's done. Last Friday, while we were sitting admiring his superhuman ability to decrease the length of our backyard's grass in record time, we noticed he'd stopped and turned off his mower. We thought he was adjusting or repairing something, but then he went to our pool, knelt down, and scooped out one of our rabbits who'd jumped in out of fear of the mower. He handed it to us, and we both got to hold it. It closed its eyes as we petted its head while it caught its breath. I fell in love with this animal. Reluctantly (I seriously felt like a kid about to ask my gf if we could keep it,) we released it back under the deck, but I was good on my word; I held one!

As a thank you, we gave Jose a healthy tip in his envelope with a note: "Thank you for saving our bunny!" Jose is an exemplar for all humans everywhere. Be like Jose.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Since the pandemic and working from home, my girlfriend and I have been spending a LOT of time on our back patio. So much so, that we started recognizing the specific wildlife that frequents our yard, from squirrels to birds and specifically Brenda, Buster and Bingo, the family of rabbits living under our deck. I've become so familiar with the latter, I promised my gf's sister that I would hold one of our rabbits by the end of the summer.

Due to my gf's deal with cancer treatments and my wrenching my shoulder a few weeks ago which resulted in what's most certainly a torn rotator cuff, we hired a lawn service to mow once weekly. Nice guy, Jose, comes every Friday, and is able to knock out our lawn in about 30 minutes with his industrial-strength equipment, and he's very systematic; never stops moving until he's done. Last Friday, while we were sitting admiring his superhuman ability to decrease the length of our backyard's grass in record time, we noticed he'd stopped and turned off his mower. We thought he was adjusting or repairing something, but then he went to our pool, knelt down, and scooped out one of our rabbits who'd jumped in out of fear of the mower. He handed it to us, and we both got to hold it. It closed its eyes as we petted its head while it caught its breath. I fell in love with this animal. Reluctantly (I seriously felt like a kid about to ask my gf if we could keep it,) we released it back under the deck, but I was good on my word; I held one!

As a thank you, we gave Jose a healthy tip in his envelope with a note: "Thank you for saving our bunny!" Jose is an exemplar for all humans everywhere. Be like Jose.
I actually had a similar situation with our yard guy. There is a particular bush that is frequently used by birds for nesting. I'm fine with this, as I have 0 problems with animals using my property for safety and raising of their young (actually had a mama fox raise 2 pups under our shed last year. That was delightful to watch.

Anyway, when we hired this guy to do our yard, he asked about how far back we wanted to cut things on the bushes. I told him straight up "I don't want any yardwork that will harm any aminals living around here. I want our yard under control, but not at the cost of killing any aminals." His response, without any delay was to just agree with that opinion. So I liked that he was on board with the whole "minimize aminal death and disruption, but bring the yard under control again." plan. We confirmed that the bird was not actively using the tree at that time, so they cut it down pretty heavily, but that was fine, it didn't hurt anything other than the plant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The fact that multiple people on this forum, now seem to be regularly using the term Chucklefuck *happy tears*

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

For some context on why this makes me smile in particular. This entire drawing was started a month ago to reach the deadline of July 1st. The artist updated the work for each panel over that time and 2-3 days ago they had finished 8/9 panels and I was sure they weren't going to make it in time but they managed to finish the last panel today.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
This might be the most brilliant thing ever. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday (day off, tons of food and football? Yes-fucking-please,) but this takes it to a whole new level.

1625173463417.png

Meanwhile...

1625173525346.png

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The fact that even in a dream I just woke up from, where I remembered a conversation with someone from my youth (dream conversation, didn't actually happen), and some guy who was trying to convince me of the supernatural by saying stuff along the lines of "I read your journal entry about that conversation, and I saw the person you were talking about. You will meet them in the future, I can't give you specifics." That I was skeptical as hell about his vague comments, and grilled him on it.

Basically the "memory" was me talking to a friend (dream friend, not real) about some fictional character I was writing up for a story. We had a conversation about the character, but only in the most broadest of strokes. I apparently wrote this down in a journal from that point in my life (that's mostly legit, as I did keep a journal for random thoughts and idea in my teens/20s), and the guy read the page I had flipped to while reminiscing. He then basically said. "Hey this Character X person you discussed with your friend, I've seen him in your future. I know who he will be, but I can't tell you."

And my response, in the dream was "Ok so that's about as fucking vague and non-committal as you can get. Seriously dude? The fuck you talking about? Do you mean the actor who will play him, but you can't name him? Do you mean you've seen the character in his fully realized state? Why should I believe any of this? You're talking in nonsense and vagaries to the point of speaking pure gibberish. You think that's supposed to impress me about your god? Fuck off." :LOL:

I'm so proud of dream me.