Sharknado 2 Review: Just the Right Amount of Bite

Dan O'Halloran

Feb 4, 2014
Sharknado 2 Review: Just the Right Amount of Bite

SyFy takes its monster B-movie franchise to the next level with an equal parts smart and wonderfully-awful sequel to their 2013 surprise hit.

Read Full Article

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I guess this isnt really a case of "so bad its good" as more of the fact that its just incredibly dumb and ends up being funny although it does what it wanted to do in the first place.

The good example of a "so bad its good" really is The Room because you know they wanted and tried to make something good out of it and the end result was the complete failure of that.

Dec 10, 2012
I just don't really understand the appeal of B-movie schlock. "So bad it's good" is a much narrower definition in my book than most people's. A movie like the Sharknadoes just doesn't appeal to me. It tries too hard to push the silliness, and all the celebrity cameos give away the fact that it had a budget, it just deliberately used bad effects and terrible writing. It's clearly fabricated badness, which makes it pointless. I don't appreciate the stupidity, I just think it's stupid.

For a movie to be so bad it's good it has to be like The Room, or Ed Wood's movies. Films made be people who were actually trying their best, thinking they were making a quality product, but were so clueless that the absurdity and stupidity just went over their heads. THAT'S good comedy.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
All of the problems that made the first one a bad movie (er, well... worse movie) were pretty much stripped out. There was way less down time and way less forced character development (and the stuff that was in it this time was hilariously cheesy instead of just plain boring).

The stuff that people enjoyed about the first one was ramped up to 11. That ending... my friends and I were almost losing it over just how ridiculously stupid and awesome it was.

Was the plot incredibly stupid? Yes!
Were the effects awful? Yes!
Was the acting awful? Yes! (Tara Reid's screaming when the plane was going down was Tommy Wiseau level of acting)
Was the action over the top? Yes!
Will I watch it again? Hell yes!

Final note: the newscasts were hilarious. This movie had some legitimately funny moments outside of just laughing at the bad effects and acting.