Shenmue 3 Crowdfunding Reopens

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
This is standard Kickstarter stuff. Bloodstained is doing it. Pillars of Eternity did it. There is nothing happening here that doesn't happen with the majority of large successful projects.
Reaching out for more money after you already gathered what you said you needed never looks good.

And frankly i dont see why youre whiteknighting against people who have probably been burned by a KS gone bad.

Dalrien

Jun 14, 2014
gigastar said:
Scars Unseen said:
This is standard Kickstarter stuff. Bloodstained is doing it. Pillars of Eternity did it. There is nothing happening here that doesn't happen with the majority of large successful projects.
Reaching out for more money after you already gathered what you said you needed never looks good.

And frankly i dont see why youre whiteknighting against people who have probably been burned by a KS gone bad.
Sort of wondering how it's offensive to put the OPPORTUNITY to back a project after it's goal was reached up. Is getting offended some sort of trend?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
gigastar said:
Scars Unseen said:

I'm just pointing out that spurious claims are spurious claims. Either Shenmue is doing nothing wrong in doing the same thing that most other Kickstarters do(setting up a post-Kickstarter for people who couldn't get in during the initial campaign), or all of them are, and your problem should be with crowd funding in general, not Shenmue specifically. Either way, trying to paint Shenmue's actions as being particularly worthy of condemnation is either ignorant or spiteful.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
I'm just pointing out that spurious claims are spurious claims. Either Shenmue is doing nothing wrong in doing the same thing that most other Kickstarters do(setting up a post-Kickstarter for people who couldn't get in during the initial campaign), or all of them are, and your problem should be with crowd funding in general, not Shenmue specifically. Either way, trying to paint Shenmue's actions as being particularly worthy of condemnation is either ignorant or spiteful.
Well i, for one, dont like the idea of them already having the most successful kickstarter ever and then coming back and asking for more, regardless of whether thier intentions are benign or not.

Surely they could follow Larian's lead with Divinity: Original Sin, in which they take what they got in the first run, make and release something with it, and then use the sales income to work on an enhanced edition later?

Dalrien said:
Sort of wondering how it's offensive to put the OPPORTUNITY to back a project after it's goal was reached up. Is getting offended some sort of trend?
This is the internet. Anyone can be offended by anything, thats if i understand this "Triggered" nonsense ive been seeing pop up every so often.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
gigastar said:
Scars Unseen said:
Well i, for one, dont like the idea of them already having the most successful kickstarter ever and then coming back and asking for more, regardless of whether thier intentions are benign or not.

Surely they could follow Larian's lead with Divinity: Original Sin, in which they take what they got in the first run, make and release something with it, and then use the sales income to work on an enhanced edition later?
Probably not. I haven't played D:OS, so I don't know what its enhancements entail, but Shenmue's stretch goals are about increasing the depth of the main game. It's not like Bloodstained, where most of the stretch goals were added play modes and the like.

As far as it being the most successful (video game) Kickstarter, that's only true now. Before Shenmue, other projects were the most successful, and most of them also accepted post-Kickstarter Paypal pledges. So again, Shenmue is doing nothing that hasn't already been done many times before.

Also keep in mind that Shenmue wasn't originally going to take Paypal pledges at all. This is pretty much being done because the fans requested it due to many people being unable to pledge as much as they'd like at the time due to financial concerns. There are also people that don't like using Kickstarter because it doesn't take your money out when you pledge, and Paypal is an alternative method of pledging for them. People have been asking for a Paypal option since the campaign first began.

Now, after all that, I guess I should bring up that there is one point of criticism that hasn't been brought up that is worth mentioning. I was actually going to put money in through the Slacker Backer kit because I was only able to afford a $5 pledge at the time due to financial issues. But at least for now, that won't be happening. I primarily game on PC, but for some reason, the Slacker Backer only includes PS4 options, and I don't even know if I'm ever going to get a PS4. So until they include a PC option, I'll be sitting this one out.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Scars Unseen said:
TristanBelmont said:
Welp

Fuck this

Just like with fucking Inafune
WolvDragon said:
This, along with the news of Inafune delaying the demo to his backers, goes to show how shady some of these KS projects are.
Once again, what is your basis for this conclusion? This is standard Kickstarter stuff. Bloodstained is doing it. Pillars of Eternity did it. There is nothing happening here that doesn't happen with the majority of large successful projects.
I don't recall Bloodstained having another Kickstarter.
Or Pillars.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
TristanBelmont said:
Or Pillars.
Neither do I. The ones that have? Just off the top of my head was Mighty No. 9 (one later kickstarter AND then getting a publishing deal) and the Double Fine project (which was TWO additional Kickstarters, another charity drive, FURTHER investment AND only half of one game delivered initially and another title being abandoned.)

Yeah, where's the asking for more money being a good thing again?

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
gigastar said:
Scars Unseen said:

Most Kickstarters don't have the backing of someone like Sony to prop them up.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
As soon as this thing was announced by Sony at E3 I knew it would be a money grabbing scheme. Gamers are so fuckin' naive.
No, just the console/Japanese game nostalgia Gamers. The oldschool PC/Adventure nostalgia backers have been burned enough for this kind of sh** to not fly with them.

Either way, this looked shady since Sony's involvement was announced, so I'm not particularly surprised that there was a secret reserve limit that they were supposed to meet.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
All this begs the question: if the team was looking for $10 million, then why the hell didn't they make that the initial goal?!

The whole things reeks of corporate greed anyway, what with the game already being backed by Sony. I realize Shenmue fans want nothing more than this game to be reality, but can't they see they're being played for fools, shaken down for extra money in the name of "gauging interest?"

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
Your basis for that claim?
What's the point? You're one of the naive ones that I'm referring to. Hiding behind a veil of shallow wannabe rationalism.

Neverhoodian said:
The whole things reeks of corporate greed anyway, what with the game already being backed by Sony.
Yep. This is worse than what Square-Enix is doing with Hitman. Publishers are starting to realize just how naive gamers really are. They can practically make gamers pay for everything without the publisher taking even the slightest risk. Sony basically managed to make gamers pay for expenses that publishers are supposed to pay for. At least to an extent if not the whole thing. But I wouldn't be surprised if Sony doesn't pay a dime. It's all profit for them. It's brilliant. Yet some people still refuse to see what's going on. And they probably think that they're being very logical like our friend Scars Unseen.
"Oh but you don't have the evidence for those claims". Right. Try living your life and try making decisious using pure logic without critical thinking and see how far that will get you.

Gennadios said:
Either way, this looked shady since Sony's involvement was announced, so I'm not particularly surprised that there was a secret reserve limit that they were supposed to meet.
I suspect that the original KS goal was supposed to be used to convince Sony that Shenmue 3 is a viable business opportunity. But when Sony execs saw just how much money gamers are willing to give for this, they decided to see if they're willing to give even more. They're probably aware of how much money Star Citizen managed to raise. I would have done the same thing in their shoes. It's how corporations operate. People forget, or they're too dumb to realize that the main goal of a corporation is to minimize the risk and the cost of doing business while maximizing the profit. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going on. But it takes someone really naive to just take this news of Kickstarter reopening at face value.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Ishigami said:
I hope this fails hard and everyone loses their money and gets nothing to show for.
I?m also all for CIG going bankrupt and SC hitting the floor.
We can do it. We can kill Kickstarter before it becomes the pandering bloated little brother of AAA publishing.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
TristanBelmont said:
Scars Unseen said:
TristanBelmont said:
Welp

Fuck this

Just like with fucking Inafune
WolvDragon said:
This, along with the news of Inafune delaying the demo to his backers, goes to show how shady some of these KS projects are.
Once again, what is your basis for this conclusion? This is standard Kickstarter stuff. Bloodstained is doing it. Pillars of Eternity did it. There is nothing happening here that doesn't happen with the majority of large successful projects.
Or Pillars.
1. Shenmue is not having another Kickstarter. It's accepting Paypal pledges.

2. You need to recall better. Pillars accepted Paypal pledges for most of its development, and as for Bloodstained... You can pledge through Paypal right now. [http://www.fangamer.com/a/kindling/bloodstained]

Adam Jensen said:
Scars Unseen said:
Your basis for that claim?
What's the point? You're one of the naive ones that I'm referring to. Hiding behind a veil of shallow wannabe rationalism.
So none then? Gotcha.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Ishigami said:
I hope this fails hard and everyone loses their money and gets nothing to show for.
I?m also all for CIG going bankrupt and SC hitting the floor.
Lol vindictive much?

On topic I am really looking forward to this game and happily backed it. I threw an absurd amount of money at it and would do it again. Shenmue is my favorite series and so far this sequel is looking like it will be something awesome. I hope they can hit the 10 million mark and make the game they want.

Often

Apr 18, 2010
Funny how many people utterly fail to understand the concept of 'the base game is funded and will proceed, this is for extra stuff to make the game even better with a bunch of other things.'

It's like if you decide to go out to dinner with ten people and estimate the cost as being about a hundred bucks, so you ask everyone to chip in ten. Then on the way there someone points out that there's dessert at the restaurant and you say, "Well sure, if everyone chips in another five, we can all get dessert too. Do you want to?"

Does that mean you were lying about how much it would cost to get dinner? No. It means dessert is extra.

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
D3s_ToD3s said:
Scarim Coral said:
Wait, the real target was $10 million and not $2 million??? Just how much money do they freaking need? Another whole lots of the "Shut up and take my money!" people?
A seamless sandbox is a giant money sink.
Shen Mue 2 did cost circa 50 million $
And those were the days of clumsy animation, low poly models and so on.

Very interesting Video on this matter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnvy0yzgVWc
I think it will be long before most gamers understand, that game development costs a shit-ton of money. They have accepted it for Movies, but somehow think, developers can deliver the same quality as AAA studios with a tenth of the costs. Game Devs need to eat sometimes, you know...

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
The only complain I have is that they did diddly-doo in terms of proper, honest communication the first time around. And that, for me, is in itself a massive problem when it comes to funding. No matter the kind of funding, like Gearbox did with Colonial Marines.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
MC1980 said:
Looks like people still suffer from a bad case of illiteracy when it comes to reading anything related to Shenmue 3's kickstarter that doesn't conform to the stupid "blurgh, Sony, scam, shady, ihatekickstarterbutdontknowhowitworksbutiwillstilltalkoutofmyass" noise. Most of which is patently bullshit. People still like to bring up Sony's involvement, despite them literally answering that question 2 days into the campaign.

Sony isn't funding the game, not even a small part of it, they're literally only giving technical support to Ysnet for the PS4 port and help with publishing on the PS4. Get it through your thick skulls already. They do have some partners that give additional funds, but most of the budget comes from the kickstarter.

Fun fact. Every major kickstarter campaign has a prolonged paypal thing that is a secondary platform for people who A: don't or can't use kickstarter and B: for people who couldn't take part in the campaign. The only difference here is, that Shenmue 3 didn't have a paypal option during the kickstarter, probably because the organisers were (proven to be)fucking incompetent. And this isn't a separate kickstarter for fucks sake, it ain't freaking Star Citizen.

No PC version available out of the gate for paypal backers is mindbogling though. Awesome Japan's patented "fuck up" maneuvre in action once more I guess.
Do you know how much time it took to get any proper information out of the people? And how much information was contradicted by themselves the moment after? I'd suggest to watch Super Bunnyhop's video about this matter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnvy0yzgVWc