Shenmue Gets An Anime In 2022. That is now cancelled in 2022.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I am happy for the fans, but how do we get an anime of this first, but not Streets of Rage?

We get a Shenmue anime, before a Shining Force or Phantasy Star anime?

We get a Shenmue anime, before a Virtua Fighter or Crazy Taxi anime?

If Sega can afford this, they can afford a Streets of Rage or Yakuza anime!​

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Going to laugh my ass off if this series gets cancelled for lackluster ratings after it is done telling the story of the first two games, squashing yet another chance of the story getting an ending in our lifetimes.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
That trailer is actually all footage from the final episode, which will have all of the plot, ending in a cliffhanger. The remainder of the 10 episode season will be 3 epis of Ryo driving a forklift, another 3 of Ryo fishing, 2 of just buying capsule toys, and a recap episode.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Yeah, I was one of the Shenmue fans a long time ago when I had little experience and it was a technical showcase for the Dreamcast. But nowadays with a fresher mind and a complete lack of nostalgia for anything from childhood, it is beyond cringeworthy to try and go back to, so haven't even bothered trying the 3rd entry, am a full Yakuza convert now and satisfied with that. (tho even if I was interested, the fact the creator had no concern about finishing or forwarding the storyline is pretty shameless IMO). It will be terrible if they're aping the quality of the games, however it's hard to imagine the anime being any worse, dialogue/story/plot-wise...the only way is up, surely?

What I find most annoying about these new Netflix videogame adaptations is Ubisoft green-lighting them all for the franchises they continue to ignore completely in the videogame business. Splinter Cell, Driver, others am currently failing to recall too...come on, what have they got against those fans?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
That trailer is actually all footage from the final episode, which will have all of the plot, ending in a cliffhanger. The remainder of the 10 episode season will be 3 epis of Ryo driving a forklift, another 3 of Ryo fishing, 2 of just buying capsule toys, and a recap episode.
You forget playing Lucky hit and catching chickens to buy expensive booze and being told to come back tomorrow to learn a move that doesn't actually help you beat the guy you need to beat up to advance.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
It'll never work. Shenmue is about screwing around buying capsule toys, asking directions from characters with hilariously stilted dialogue, and occasionally having a short fight every hour or two, they'll never be able to capture the magic in an anime adaptation.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It'll never work. Shenmue is about screwing around buying capsule toys, asking directions from characters with hilariously stilted dialogue, and occasionally having a short fight every hour or two, they'll never be able to capture the magic in an anime adaptation.
Don't worry, it'll be series of 1 of 17 and if you give it a chance, eventually you'll get the whole story. In like 50 years.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And the bad news is...?

It could work. That's why they're called adaptions. They have to adapt. And if they lose the stilted dialogue and some pointless quest, then it's not a major loss.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
And the bad news is...?

It could work. That's why they're called adaptions. They have to adapt. And if they lose the stilted dialogue and some pointless quest, then it's not a major loss.
Then it's not even worth watching.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yakuza would make a way better anime. Shenmue has been a commercial failure at every turn why are they still trying to make it a thing?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Going to laugh my ass off if this series gets cancelled for lackluster ratings after it is done telling the story of the first two games, squashing yet another chance of the story getting an ending in our lifetimes.
Cheers to you, me from 1 year ago.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
It's a strange place to be. I remember the day Shenmue came out. My wife bought me Shenmue and the game guide. I played that game nonstop until she actually got upset about it. It was everything I'd wanted in a game up to that point - An interesting story, a modern world you could interact with, street fighting, collectables, day/night cycle, actually owning and being able to play a Sega Saturn IN GAME. The whole thing was was kinda revolutionary. I could only really describe it as Earthbound mixed with GTA. I think outside of Persona 4&5 no game has really come close to providing a complete modern experience. Despite the cliffhanger I still rank it as one of my favorite games of all time. Sadly the sequel just felt like more of the same I never got more than a few hours in before getting bored of it and I never played Shenmue III, from what I've heard it yet again didn't provide a satisfying conclusion.

I've gotten to an age where I just don't want to go back and try and complete it, nor do I want to watch this anime. I'd rather cherish my memory of the first game which if I recall correctly game out on or around christmas. Good times.

*sleeping dogs and Yakuza 0 came pretty close to capturing that magic.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
*sleeping dogs and Yakuza 0 came pretty close to capturing that magic.
Yakuza was always a spiritual successor to Shenmue's concepts of an interactive world and a long running narrative/life cycle of the main protagonist. I've said it before, and I will say it again: Yakuza is the better version of Shenmue. Some douchebag on the old V1 forum threw a fit and I told him to screw off.