Sherlock to Return With One-Off Special Episode Before Season Four Starts

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Sherlock to Return With One-Off Special Episode Before Season Four Starts

Sherlock' fourth season will be comprised of three episodes, with a one-off special set to air before the new season starts.

Already miss BBC One's Sherlock? If you do, then you'll be glad to know you'll be able to see the detective duo before its fourth season officially starts. Show writer, executive producer and co-creator Steven Moffat had the following to say:

A special, plus a new series of three episodes - it's a record-breaking run! Of course, it's far too early to say what's coming, but we're reasonably confident that the very next thing to happen to Sherlock and John, is the very last thing you'd expect,

Fellow co-creator, writer and also executive producer Mark Gatiss also chimed in for the hit TV show, and mentions "the game is on -- again!"

"Series Four! At last ! It's always special to return to Sherlock but this time it's even more special as we're doing ... a Special! Not only THAT, we'll then be shooting three more episodes which will take Sherlock and John Watson into deeper and darker water than ever before. The whole Sherlock team are terrifically excited to return for four new adventures. The Game is on - again!

Unfortunately, the actual shooting of the Sherlock one-off special will begin no sooner than January 2015, with season 4 shooting later in the same year. This was announced over on BBC One's Twitter, which you might not want to read further unless you've finished season 3 since there's potential spoilers afoot.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/BBCOne/statuses/484326045227966464]

Again, just in case you didn't read what I mentioned earlier, stop reading further if you haven't completed season 3 since the tweet below might spoil the ending for you. Still here? Good. In the season 3 finale, Sherlock's long-time archenemy Moriarty had his face plastered all across London and asked the detective "Did you miss me?," which might have been fine except Moriarty shot himself in the head back in season 2.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/BBCOne/statuses/484083280950882304]

Now, while the wait might be torture for some, at least there's special to placate fans, and a definite date this time compared to season 3, which left a lot of fans waiting on when it was set to air. What do make of season 3's ending and what do you surmise will happen in season 4? Let your inner detective plot it out and share with us in the comments.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/sherlock-return-one-special-before-716293]

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
One hand, I'm angry there's only 3 episodes per season. On the other, they're made with so much quality.

I can't wait for series 4.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
I really enjoyed Sherlock for the first couple of seasons, but the long time between series and the disappointing 3rd series have put me off caring.

I'll still probably tune in when it comes on, but I don't care enough for the wait to affect me.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
frobalt said:
I really enjoyed Sherlock for the first couple of seasons, but the long time between series and the disappointing 3rd series have put me off caring.

I'll still probably tune in when it comes on, but I don't care enough for the wait to affect me.
Same here. Although the second episode in season 3 was pretty amazing, the season finale was definetly a letdown after that one.

More character drama and less mind palace effect montages in season 4 plz. >.>

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
ColdinT said:
Why only 3 episodes per season anyway?
British TV shows often have relatively short seasons. That combined with the fact that the episodes are 90 minutes each means that the episodes are really like 3 or 4 normal tv episodes.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Am I the only one that felt the events at the very end of season 3 happened too soon, and that we hadn't had time to miss Moriarty?

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
but we're reasonably confident that the very next thing to happen to Sherlock and John is the very last thing you'd expect
You mean like the next season not being more or less a complete pile of shit like the third one was?

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
ColdinT said:
They're each like 2 hours long. 6 hours per season isn't unreasonable for a serial TV show like that. They're almost the length of feature-length films and this prevents the possibility of throwaway episodes.

I'm also pretty sure Cumberbatch and Freeman are busy with the Hobbit, even so, I'm glad they've managed to make "later in 2015" when what I was hearing was that we might not get Season 4 until 2016.

Karnesdorff

Nov 19, 2009
renegade7 said:
ColdinT said:
They're each like 2 hours long. 6 hours per season isn't unreasonable for a serial TV show like that. They're almost the length of feature-length films and this prevents the possibility of throwaway episodes.

I'm also pretty sure Cumberbatch and Freeman are busy with the Hobbit, even so, I'm glad they've managed to make "later in 2015" when what I was hearing was that we might not get Season 4 until 2016.
That's pretty much it. The episodes are 2 hours long, which takes a long time to shoot and the stars are getting increasingly busy with other, more lucrative projects. Apparently both Cumberbatch and Freeman love doing the show, but it's harder and harder to get their increasingly busy and conflicting schedules synced.

K.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
The Game is on? The game is afoot surely. Surely Sherlock still knows his Shakespeare.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Imre Csete said:
frobalt said:

Same here. Although the second episode in season 3 was pretty amazing, the season finale was definetly a letdown after that one.

Agreed. The last episode's use of red herrings and inconsistencies was extremely frustrating. I'm actually hoping Moriarty's "return" is a deception- this hugely public super-villain "Did you miss me" nonsense runs completely counter to the modus operandi of the Moriarty we saw earlier in the series, and to actually bring him back so soon would smack of a paucity of imagination.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Callate said:
Imre Csete said:
frobalt said:

Agreed. The last episode's use of red herrings and inconsistencies was extremely frustrating. I'm actually hoping Moriarty's "return" is a deception- this hugely public super-villain "Did you miss me" nonsense runs completely counter to the modus operandi of the Moriarty we saw earlier in the series, and to actually bring him back so soon would smack of a paucity of imagination.
It is and it isn't; Moriarty became a "super-villain" when the public got a-hold of him. The other problem (in my opinion anyway) with the show, despite loving it to death, is that the involvement of the public sphere when looking at Sherlock has caused him to become a seemingly known figure, which really detracts from the show being closed off to him and Watson moving about without much trouble from anyone else. This whole increase in scale feels a bit bloaty rather than natural. I'd much prefer if these incidents were somewhat downplayed, but instead we have hashtags and worshippers, which kind of forces the hand of invention in villains to become "the most dangerous man IN THE WORLD IN THE UK IN THE MEDIA ON THE MOON WITH A PANCAKE MIND PALAC-- GUN." It's less... Fun? I guess? Let's just say I'm glad that the show only has 3 episodes, because I can overlook some parts of Episode 3 and still enjoy it just fine.

captcha: end of story

thanks, captcha.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
It's so long to wait!
I'm excited though.

I hope the next season is more like seasons 1 & 2, rather than 3.
Also, I will be a bit annoyed if they do somehow bring Moriarty back, it makes the finale of season two completely pointless if both Sherlock and Moriarty survived. At the moment, I'm thinking it was a contingency plan by Moriarty just in case Sherlock survived and that it's being carried out by a ring of his remaining followers.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
frobalt said:

Same. I didn't mind that much that they didn't reveal how Sherlock survived, but the first two episodes were especially disappointing. The second episodes seemed like some really weird fan-service.
I liked the third episode, but it didn't really make up for the two previous ones. It really felt like they dumbed down the show. Hopefully they get back on track with season 4, but given the large amount of high quality TV out now, I'm not particularly concerned about this show anymore.