Sherlock's Amanda Abbington Receives Death Threats for Her Role

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
roseofbattle said:
Sherlock and John were never going to be interested in each other romantically or sexually.
Indeed, it's Sherlock/Moriarity from now on!

It's a bit strange really, you'd think they'd wait to see if she dies first. Why hate a character that you haven't even seen yet?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Okay.. serious is this the new requirement for famous people? Receiving death threads?

Or is it just that back in the day when the death threads where delivered by the post they where just thrown away and burned by the managment since fanletters are never read by the stars themselves?

I really have a hard time believing that this is an entirely new thing... just that today its made much much easier due to social media.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
That linked interview is hilarious. Ian McKellen sounds like such a wheeze! Go read it if you haven't and bollocks to your irrational fear of following external links.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
I was more concerned about the fact that a publicly funded body, with a mandate to be impartial launched a barely concealed attack on its main rival/enemy. But hey, slash-fic is more important than legally forcing people to fund thinly veiled left-wing propaganda.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Smilomaniac said:
Ukomba said:
So this is progay fans hating on a straight woman for being straight? Article didn't make that clear.
Unlikely. Since the show is mostly about their friendship(which anyone who has a best friend knows goes beyond a romantic relationship), the new character is sort of a third wheel or a semi-replacement for Mrs. Hudson and that annoys people.
best friends go beyond a romantic relationship? I'm not sure I understand what you mean, or you haven't had much luck in love.

Anyways, the article seems to equate this anger with the disruption of some fans homosexual head cannon.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
WashAran said:
Damn gaming Tumblr community! Dont they know what puts another bad light on us?
Fixed

Any large group will have fringe crazies that reflect poorly on the whole. What matters is how the rest of the community treats them.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Daniel Park said:
The ridiculous thing is that she's actually really dynamite in the role. I thought she'd be a third wheel, but turns out I'm really liking her character.
Aye, writing as usual with Sherlock is stellar, but it's also very easy to see why she's Freeman's partner - they just fit together perfectly.

And that said: it'd just be too easy if they actually declared them gay. It's much more fun if the tension between them remains essentially unexplained.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Ok, the JohnLock fanatics need to fuck off for good. Your stupid ship isn't going to happen, so stop harassing the cast and crew of the show just because your tumblr page says sherlock and watson should start fucking. Keep your shipping in fanfics where they belong.
sorry, i can't stand those who believe their ships should be canon and start leaking their insanity into the real world.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
This reminds me of when some deranged Harry Potter fans petitioned J.K. Rowling to stop writing her own novels because the official romantic pairings weren't to their liking.

Idiots.

JarinArenos said:
WashAran said:
Damn gaming Tumblr community! Dont they know what puts another bad light on us?
Fixed

Any large group will have fringe crazies that reflect poorly on the whole. What matters is how the rest of the community treats them.
Tumblr. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

We must be cautious, lest we be buried neck deep in spinsters who collect cats and men who wear fedoras.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Ukomba said:
So this is progay fans hating on a straight woman for being straight? Article didn't make that clear.
no, this is shippers hating on an actress because the character she plays is with a straight character who they want to be gay for sherlock who is also straight

in other words, shippers being crazy as usual.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
In all fairness, Sherlock and Watson belong together.

Able Seacat said:
Trying to understand the thought process of someone sending these death threats just boggles my mind.
Of course, given how broad the term death threat has become, I wouldn't be surprised if the "threat" consisted of "omg, i wish this ***** would die, Watlock/Sherson/Hotson (whatever these kids are calling the pair) 4eva" by sonixbabe1999 on Deviantart.

Captcha: "what should we call me?"
My answer: "fuck you and your emerging AI jokes"
Captcha error.

Edit: see look, according to the sensibilities of society these days, I totally just threatened captcha with rape. Ain't I a monster?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Let's be honest, it was bound to happen no matter who played Mary.
Though I'm surprised my girlfriend, an ardent shipper of Holmes and Watson, actually likes her.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
While death threats in and of themselves are of course bad. Receiving them is the surest sign of success from the looks of it. Haters don't spend a lot of energy on the insignificant. But if your receiving death threads flooding you're in-box, congratulations. You've made it to the big time.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
-Winston Churchill

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Karadalis said:
Okay.. serious is this the new requirement for famous people? Receiving death threads?

Or is it just that back in the day when the death threads where delivered by the post they where just thrown away and burned by the managment since fanletters are never read by the stars themselves?

I really have a hard time believing that this is an entirely new thing... just that today its made much much easier due to social media.
I have family working in newspapers and tv, and yes, this kind of thing has been going on forever. (Not that it makes it any more ok.)

My dad was a sports journalist and got threats over all kinds of stuff, including apparently making teams lose by reporting on them.

My mom works in a magazine for diabetics and they constantly get calls from people who think they know of a cure for diabetes but are hiding it etc.

If anything, these kinds of things are taken more seriously these days.

In the 80's it was just ignored.

sarahvait

Nov 6, 2008
Daniel Park said:
The ridiculous thing is that she's actually really dynamite in the role. I thought she'd be a third wheel, but turns out I'm really liking her character.
I concur, and I totally do ship Sherlock and Watson on occasion. But they wrote her character so well and I love her in the show. She's a great counterpart to John, and she can bounce off and verbally spar with Sherlock. And the best part is she understands the close connection that John and Sherlock have with each other. I love that she manages to earn Sherlock's respect in a very believable manner. In a way, Mary and John are now both Sherlock's Watsons.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Yeah some people are insane in the brain. We live in a society where, as a courtesy, we extend the assumption of sanity but a surprising number of people are genuinely abnormal for one reason or another.

To be honest I'm not sure it's really fair to comment on their behaviour int he same way you would a sane and healthy person.