Shia LaBeouf Throws in The Towel, Retires From "Public Life"

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Shia LaBeouf Throws in The Towel, Retires From "Public Life"

The actor best known for Indiana Jones and Transformers claims he is "retiring from all public life".

For all you Shia LaBeouf haters, I've got a bit of good news! Following a much publicized case of plagiarism and its ensuing fallout, the actor has announced over Twitter [https://twitter.com/thecampaignbook/statuses/421577950342160384] that he is "retiring from all public life". Since appearing in a movie is about as public as you can get, we can assume that this statement means there will be no more Shia LaBeouf movies.

LaBeouf says the move is due to "the recent attacks against my artistic integrity," referring to his highly publicized plagiarism of Daniel Clowes' graphic novel Justin M. Damiano. LaBeouf's short film HowardCantour.com was a blatant rip-off of Justin M. Damiano, and to make matters worse, when he tried to apologize to Clowes, he did so using plagiarized apologies from other celebrities!

He was also criticized by many other high-profile actors for his subsequent Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/02/authorship-is-censorship-bleeding-cool-in-conversation-with-shia-labeouf/] interview, in which he stated that "Authorship is censorship. ... Simple - should creation have to check with a lawyer?"

LaBeouf, a former child star, is best known for his work in the Transformers trilogy, as well as Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, where he played Dr. Jones' illegitimate son, and helped murder the entire franchise.

He is currently working on the World War II action flick: Fury, opposite Brad Pitt. It's unknown how this announcement will affect the future of the film.

So, we can all let out a sigh of relief, knowing that our favorite franchises are safe from LaBeouf. Although, considering LaBeouf is only 27 years old, I kind of doubt his "retirement" will stick. What do you think of Shia LaBeouf?

Source: IGN [https://twitter.com/thecampaignbook/statuses/421577950342160384]

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Nobody said life was easy, pal. You can be rich and popular, yet life can and will still be terrifying at times.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Time to throw a party!

Unfortunately, this will probably be one of those short retirements, especially since he's still so young. But we can always hope.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
The guy pretty much plays the same damn character in every movie he's ever been in as far as I know and it's not even a good character I wont miss his movies.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
First Bay has a meltdown, then Labeouf.

Next Beiver, I'm calling it!

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
So where exactly is the line between disproportionate hate and you brought this on yourself? I try to stay on the compassionate side of things as far as public figures (major or minor) are concerned, but in some cases like this or with Phil Fish I just have a hard time maintaining sympathy.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Ah if only. This won't last. He's too narcissistic to deprive us all of his wonderfulness for long.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
LaBeouf, a former child star, is best known for his work in the Transformers trilogy, as well as Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, where he played Dr. Jones' illegitimate son, and helped murder the entire franchise.
That's one Movie Defense Force I'm very eagerly awaiting, frankly, because I never thought that movie was that horrible (and if it was, it wasn't because of The Beef).

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I'll give mr Labeouf a most sincere and enthusiastic /shrug

He was pretty much a "meh" entity in the transformers movies and indiana jones movie both. If he hadn't been in any of them, the movies would all remain at the same quality level.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
I could honestly care less. I have no love for this actor or his work. I never heard of that plagiarizing thing till now but it certainly doesn't help. A big meh all around

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Wait...wait...

He's...He's NOT being ironic about that 'artistic integrity' quote, is he?

Feb 22, 2009
It's pretty obviously a publicity stunt though, he'll come back in a year with a new movie and say it was all 'performance art'. Why else would he have plagiarised HIS APOLOGY?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
*Insert neutral response here*

Yeah, I don't particularly care. I didn't think he ruined Transformers, nor did I think they were terrible. They were decent popcorn action flicks, at least. And I wouldn't care if Shia appeared in another movie or not. He's neither an actor I love or hate. He just kinda appears in movies.

As for the plagiarism, couldn't the creator sue for damages, if he made any money off the work? The fact of the matter is that copyright laws exist specifically to protect creators in these sorts of circumstances.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I never really cared for the character he played (yeah, he only ever seemed to play that trying to be goofy but really just annoying character), even back on Even Stevens. I just found him annoying then, and when his bumbling antics brought down Star Scream, I knew that one scene summed up everything wrong with the Transformers movies.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Fingers crossed he goes "Mickey Rourke" and tries his hand at boxing. I would like to see that, hehehe.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
So both Justin Beiber and LaBeef are "retiring"? PHEAR THE POWA OF DA INTERWEBZ MAN CHILDRENZ!