Shia LaBeouf Throws in The Towel, Retires From "Public Life"

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Objectable said:
WOOT
Personally, I know how I'm thinking.
<youtube=GjjZGyYcH9E>
Thank you for posting exactly what I was thinking!

Why with these powers we could, dare I say it, take over the world!

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Honestly I don't get all the hate. He never blew my mind, but he never struck me as terrible or incompetent. Just that guy who does those films.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
SirBryghtside said:
lacktheknack said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
lacktheknack said:
Ah, quit the hyperbolic editorial drama, Steven. The newest Indiana Jones film was not that bad. -___-
I don't get the hate for The Last Crusade either, but that was a long time ago and I think before Shia's career. I don't know what it has to do with this conversation. >.>
oh u.

People's utter hatred for Crystal Skull feels like a baffling worldwide prank against me, because I liked it a bit.
I'm with you on that. After watching it, and seeing all the controversy, I rewatched the older Indiana Jones films to see exactly the same kind of dumb stuff that people were lambasting Crystal Skull for. And that's what made them good, fun films.
I have to admit this is quite true. Every Indy movie had a "lead fridge" moment. Temple of Doom saw them fall hundreds of meters out of a plane and survive by being in a rubber raft. They landed flat on the ground, then slid forward.
Which of Last Crusade's numerous scenes would count as the fridge moment? Hitler signing the diary? Or something more ridiculously physical?

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
wow if you actually read more into the whole plagiarism story he really comes off as unapologetic and kind of a douche-bag i mean if you got called out for stealing someones work, would you immediately try to steal the same persons work again? I don't know he claims he just forgot to credit the guy but the second time he received a cease and desist

and then in his twitter post he says he is the one being attacked

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Not that I'm a fan of the guy, but this article seems a bit too spiteful for no reason.

LaBeouf is obviously throwing a tantrum here, but what francises has he poisoned that weren't already poisoned from the start? It's not like Transformers and Crystal Skull wouldn't be piles of shit without him. I think we got the directors/producers/scriptwritters to blame on that one.
Yeah I agree with that. And like others, I quite enjoyed Disturbia and Holes.

It's not as though a different actor would have made Transformers a pinnacle of storytelling.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
So when trolling and harassment causes people in the game industry to leave the business we feel bad...but if it's an actor leaving a job their passionate about then it's time to celebrate?

I'm not big on movies...I've only seen Shia LaBeouf in Crystal Skull which was a bad movie regardless of his performance. I think less of humanity when we read things like this. If this actor was truly as bad as people claim then he would have been weeded out of the system naturally.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I usually don't agree with 'haters'. Even if they hate someone I personally dislike; because people are usually very unreasonable about it, having but pet peeves about someone and exaggerating endlessly just to have something to rag on. Shia LeBeouf is an exception, because he's a bellend. He's like a walking downgrade, making anything he's in contact with worse.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Did somebody say PUBLICITY STUNT? I could've sworn I heard PUBLICITY STUNT.
Bieber said the same thing. Three days later, April Fools!

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I don't really hate him, but he does seem pretty unlikable. Not really enough to care, though.

But I do think he gets hate for stuff that wasn't his fault. It's not his fault that the Transformers-movies or Crystal Skull (which I didn't mind) turned out the way they did. Blame the writers and directors more than him.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
good riddance, I remember when Hollywood was trying to sell him as the new DiCaprio by shoving him into every single movie. Unfortunately this plan backfired due to him not having anywhere near the same talent, and his ego being out of bounds.

LaBuffoon will not be missed by anyone.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh...not his fault the Transformers and Crystal Skull movies weren't terribly good.

OTOH, though, he comes across as quite a tosser, attacking Megan Fox (though, everyone seems to want to do that).

I don't know about him retiring, but I think he should be told off and made to sit in the naughty corner for a bit.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I really hope Mr. LaBeouf is just a gigantic prick, because the only other explanation for his recent behavior would seem to be an undiagnosed mental condition (I would guess some kind of bipolar disorder), and that would be kind of awful.

Multi-Hobbyist

Oct 26, 2009
He was alright in Holes. That's what I think of him. I could care less that he stole material. Everyone does that. I'm glad he was caught, however.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
oh no shia. whatever will we do without constant updates about your life. oh the humanity.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
It's interesting to see tantrums thrown this publicly. I don't like his work (maybe Holes was his best?), but it must be rough to have any mistakes you make so magnified.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Terminate421 said:
He's a decent guy.
I am pleased to say I have never paid an ounce of active attention to Shia LaBeouf, so this is a genuine question, Terminate421: What is your basis for making assertions about the quality of his character as a person?

Terminate421 said:
Why the fuck are people making this such a big deal?
Because he is a rich and powerful person who stole an idea from someone with less money and power to defend himself with, and when called out on his bad behavior, threw a childish tantrum that included stealing yet more ideas from other people, indicating not only that he has no remorse but intends to try to make a career out of stealing from the less fortunate.

Terminate421 said:
Yeah he plagiarized, but can we stop treating him like Joseph Stalin?
I think we can assume that making fun of him on the internet is considerably less disapproval than would be faced by a brutal, oppressive dictator like Joseph Stalin.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Poor kid, such an undue amount of hate going his way.

Another child star who's been tormented by the media and the public.

Fox12 said:
He is a bit of an asshole. He bragged about sleeping with Megan Fox right when she got married,
Just so you know, that's bullshit. He was asked about the relationship in an interview and basically told the interviewer to mind their own business (inadvertently confirming the rumours in the process). He never bragged about a damn thing.
But of course "Shia Lebeouf brags about doing Megan Fox" sells more magazines than "Shia Labeouf let's something slip then apologises."

The fact Mrs. Fox was keeping this information from her husband is no fault or responsibility of Mr. Labeouf.

Fox12 said:
and once said in an interview that he was open to cheating on his girlfriend.
I can find no evidence of this, are you sure you're not getting confused with the interviews where he said the unsimulated sex scenes in Nymphomaniac weren't cheating? A sentiment many actors (including his girlfriend it would appear) would agree with.

Fox12 said:
His co-stars typically hate him because of his attitude on set. Harrison Ford once called him a "fucking idiot." He's also plagiarized content more than once.
Again, incorrect, he called him a "fucking idiot" to his face when he was schooling him in the ways of acting and publicity. In the interview where he revealed this he also said "Shia is ambitious, attentive and talented and he's learning how to deal with a situation which is very unique and difficult."
Harrison Ford doesn't have a personal problem with the dude, just a particular thing he did.

TLDR: Many people in this thread would do well to remind themselves that they don't know Shia Labeouf in the slightest, all they know is a public image, perpetuated by gossip magazines that have no interest in truth.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Yeah, he'll be back. Just as soon as he needs another paycheck. Of course I'd love for said paycheck to come from a McDonalds. :3

Point is he wasn't the first to say something like this and he sure won't be the last. He'll go into turtle mode for a year or so then come back saying "I just wanted to take some personal time to reinvent my image as an artist/actor" or some such nonsense. Still, a reprieve from him - even if only a short lived one - is better than nothing at all.

Personally, though, I think when you've made as big of a jackass out of yourself as he has you really should "retire from public". I mean you get caught red-handed plagiarizing someone's work, then go on to apologize by copying even more people? I mean fair enough for copying someone else's work...it's not acceptable behavior, but it's understandable: you saw something you really liked and wanted to imitate it to make some money for yourself. But to copy other people's apologies? Really now...what the hell, Shia? Is it that hard to come up with your own apology? That just reeks of arrogance, laziness, or a putrid mix of the two.

But all he has to do is disappear for a bit until the whole thing blows over then he'll be back to crapping all over our movies like he does best.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
1. Seriously, the dude is mad because he got caught and subsequently got shit for it. Sorry bud, you fucked up, you deal with consequences especially since you work (or now "worked") in a public eye job. I'm not sympathetic, I don't give free passes for stupidity. Plagiarism, especially blatant plagiarism, is despicable and deserves public shaming. There's a reason they'll toss you on your ass if you try that shit in college or fail you in High School.

2. Not impressed with his career so it really isn't much of a loss. I don't necessarily blame him for that weird X-Files crossover with Han Solo... That's Spielburg and Lucas' doing and they are the ones who really deserve the shitcanning.

3. I doubt this is permanent, more like the knee-jerk whining reaction of a man with an adolescent maturity. When he does come back though it would behoove him to have some humility. If not it won't be much of a loss either way and he'll be relegated to c-list.

So yeah thats my 2 cents. Word of advice to anyone seeking a career in any fame-level job: If you get famous prepare to have your life dissected by the rest of the world and learn to grow some thickness to your skin. Its not a dig at fame, its your survival tool. Public eyes are heavily judgmental over public figures so don't say you weren't warned. If you don't prepare, the consequences will be dire.