Shia LaBeouf Throws in The Towel, Retires From "Public Life"

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
I kind of liked him in Transformers, him shouting out the window at Optimus and the other Autobots that "My garden is not a truck stop" still makes me laugh

vid87

May 17, 2010
I actually find it sad how so many actors I grew up knowing with so much potential just implode. I read somewhere when he was being cast for Disney and the recruiter asked what his plans were, and he replied that he would win an academy award. I think he was pretty young at the time and I thought it was impressive how ambitious he was. Now he'll be lucky if he ends up on Lifetime at 40.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To clarify this story (it doesn't seem anyone else has mentioned this yet) according to other sources talking about this Shia clarified his retirement as being from social media. Meaning he's no longer going to be running twitter feeds and things like that and monitoring them.

Apparently, his side of the story is that he never actually confessed to plagiarism, and his comments had been taken out of context or edited. His use of intentionally plagiarized apologies, which were intended to be recognized for what they were, was an attempt to mock the guy bringing the suit against him, but it wound up backfiring. He apparently took his stunt to the point of hiring a skywriter to say "I'm sorry" as a joke, but then got called a sociopath for doing so. In short he tried to rally internet support with some amusing antics, trying to make his accusers look ridiculous, and it backfired massively because he just has that many haters.

Shia's antics also apparently included a faux-trailer for "Daniel Boring" which is the title of another Clowe graphic novel.

Basically the biggest epic misfire on an attempt to rally support with social media in history up until this point.

As far as the accusations themselves go, I have neither seen Shia's work or read the graphic novel, however some things I've read have said that Clowe's work is pretty stereotypical here and if you called Shia a plagiarist you'd have to call dozens or hundreds of other people the same thing at this point. Clowe's big claim to fame being that he did it as a graphic novel.

That said, while considered famous, Clowe had a niche following and was famous within specific circles. Honestly he's benefitting more from the attention here than anything. He's probably going to see more people running out to buy his work to see what all the fuss is because of Shia than he has at any other point in his career. In some ways he should probably be thanking Shia, even if he is a plagiarist, since Clowe is probably going to make some decent money off of this from the attention.

At least that's what I've been able to pick up from other articles on Yahoo, and various discussions about the subject. I don't read Clowe's stuff, and honestly don't much care for Shia, so I don't have much of a stake in it. In this case though the outright hate Shia can inspire from his franchise work seems to have turned this on it's head. At the end of the day he was stupid and tried to appeal to a fan base he doesn't actually have, due to a legal dispute that probably never would have went anywhere.

SuperScrub

May 3, 2012
Yep I'm calling it right now. It's a publicity stunt to get attention on him and oversell the value of his acting abilities. He'll be out of retirement before we see 2015 at the bare minimum. Oh and Shia Lebeouf, hmmmm I liked him in Holes and Indiana Kingdom of the Crystal Skull wasn't that bad despite (notice I didn't say because) of his presence and I've already forgot the name of the Disney Channel sitcom he stared in before he got into Movie Acting so there's that. Sooooo yea.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
honestly could not care less, every movie he was in it was like watching the same stupid person over and over, and to me he was the extra push the TF movies needed to be shit.

Nov 28, 2007
Therumancer said:
Thank you for clarifying what the statement actually meant. I had a hunch that "public life" was not the same as "movies", but you can never be too sure.

As for the apology, I honestly can kind of understand where Shia's coming from. Essentially, he tried the "Coinye" method of defense by trolling, but it backfired on him, mostly because Shia Labeouf was plagiarizing a relative nobody, while Coinye is parodying a very visible personality.

In the end, I can say that, while I don't think it's entirely unwarranted, judging from some of the comments on this news article, I can't blame Shia Labeouf for getting fed up with the constant attacks on him. You could say that he should apologize if it bothers him that much, but how many of us would apologize when we don't think we're in the wrong? The difference is, none of us are convicted by popular opinion.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Tanis said:
First Bay has a meltdown, then Labeouf.

Next Beiver, I'm calling it!
That already happened, from what I've read anyways.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
He's an immature little prat that needs to grow the hell up and learn what responsibility means. God, I wish there was a chance in hell of him actually sticking to this and just... going away.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
Therumancer said:
As far as the accusations themselves go, I have neither seen Shia's work or read the graphic novel
Buzzfeed still has the movie up and a page in the comic ... next time you want to type up that much text spend the two seconds to use google beforehand to find out how incredibly bloody wrong you are and save yourself some time.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jordanzakarin/shia-labeouf-rip-off-daniel-clowes-howard-cantour

They are not accusations, they are facts ... the copying is verbatim, it's not similarity by accident, it's not mistaking vague memories for creativity, it's 100% intentional ctrl-c ctrl-v.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Pinky said:
Therumancer said:
As far as the accusations themselves go, I have neither seen Shia's work or read the graphic novel
Buzzfeed still has the movie up and a page in the comic ... next time you want to type up that much text spend the two seconds to use google beforehand to find out how incredibly bloody wrong you are and save yourself some time.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jordanzakarin/shia-labeouf-rip-off-daniel-clowes-howard-cantour

They are not accusations, they are facts ... the copying is verbatim, it's not similarity by accident, it's not mistaking vague memories for creativity, it's 100% intentional ctrl-c ctrl-v.
That's Buzzfeed's opinion, there are others, and while their quotes from Shia seem damning, half the point of Shia "retiring" is that only some of what he said is being used, and taken out of context. He did go into full damage control mode and try an opposite track when his attempt to belittle his accuser didn't work.

Buzzfeed is saying that because the premise (a fairly typical story about a critic) shares similar dialogue and opens with an opening scene starting with the critic watching closing credits, shown from behind the head, that the plagiarism must be true. While it *IS* similar (and this wouldn't have gotten this far if it wasn't) it's not identical and things fall apart after that scene where Shia's work transitions to a bathroom, and the scene transitions in the comic and it's backdrops are quite different.

Again, it's because of things LIKE Buzzfeed that Shia is saying "I'm done with public life". He's saying he's being misrepresented, and he's exasperated with it, so he's not even going to try. Almost all of the quotes are taken from social media you'll notice, which is why he's "done" with it, since those comments are not presented along with the entirety of what he said, nor put in the context of when he said them or why.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of Shia's, I just understand the issue, and in your haste to start running around screaming "Therumancer is wrong" you yourself are not looking at the whole situation and becoming part of the problem and why Shia's statement about what he was leaving needs to be clarified. You are pretty much taking Buzzfeed's word for it, with their biggest actual "evidence" being parts of what Shia said on social media when his initial, ill-advised, plan backfired.

Is Shia right or wrong? That goes beyond the point of what I'm saying. I'm just explaining his position, what he meant, and why.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The Beef's acting was mediocre-at-best so it's not like anything of value was lost.

While I can't blame him for raping Transformers (Aryn Krueger is far far more guilty than LeBeouf) or even Indiana Jones (Lucas here) I haven't exactly heard or seen good things from him outside of that.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Good fucking riddance. He's a remorseless thief and deserved every bit of flack he got.
Therumancer said:
Buzzfeed is saying that because the premise (a fairly typical story about a critic) shares similar dialogue and opens with an opening scene starting with the critic watching closing credits, shown from behind the head, that the plagiarism must be true.
It's not "similar" dialogue. It is exactly the same, aside from a couple colloquialisms.
I didn't know the comic either, but the evidence is irrefutable. This is outright plagiarism.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Ah, quit the hyperbolic editorial drama, Steven. The newest Indiana Jones film was not that bad. -___-

Anyways, I liked him in Holes, and then proceeded to remain neutral for the rest of his career. I'm unaffected by this news.
I'm in the same boat. Never thought he was objectively awful nor was I ever impressed with him. I'm sure he'll be back.

I will say that I could have gone on with life without seeing his penis, though. ;____;
Huh?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Redlin5 said:
lacktheknack said:
Ah, quit the hyperbolic editorial drama, Steven. The newest Indiana Jones film was not that bad. -___-

Anyways, I liked him in Holes, and then proceeded to remain neutral for the rest of his career. I'm unaffected by this news.
I'm in the same boat. Never thought he was objectively awful nor was I ever impressed with him. I'm sure he'll be back.

I will say that I could have gone on with life without seeing his penis, though. ;____;
Huh?
Google "Fjogur Piano", the Sigur Ros single.

...Actually, don't.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Tanis said:
First Bay has a meltdown, then Labeouf.

Next Beiver, I'm calling it!
Didn't you hear? The little shithead retired from music. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/25/justin-beiber-retiring_n_4500332.html

OT:

Addition by subtraction. Hollywood just got a little bit better today.

Of course, if this is all a publicity stunt, I wouldn't be shocked.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Fox12 said:
His co-stars typically hate him because of his attitude on set. Harrison Ford once called him a "fucking idiot." He's also plagiarized content more than once.
If this is true, he probably won't have much of a future anyway. I mean if Harrison Ford who is pretty much in retirement mode and is nowadays mostly phoning it in for the money, can't stand him. It's only a matter of time before his list of enemies grow and other actors start avoiding any project that involves him.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
What is it with celebrities (particularly younger ones) feeling the need to "announce" their retirements. As an actor or singer surely if you want to retire you just stop working? Don't read scripts, don't send audition tapes, don't write/perform any music. The only reason to make an announcement like this is to generate publicity.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
TallanKhan said:
What is it with celebrities (particularly younger ones) feeling the need to "announce" their retirements. As an actor or singer surely if you want to retire you just stop working? Don't read scripts, don't send audition tapes, don't write/perform any music. The only reason to make an announcement like this is to generate publicity.
I believe you just answered your own question.

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
Buhuuu buhuuuu what are we going to do without sheia le flufu.... what ever his name is... really, transformer fans will be devastated!, and Indiana fans, well we are devastated since that awful piece of crap crystal skull thing.