Shigeru Miyamoto Doesn't Make Kiddy Games

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Shigeru Miyamoto Doesn't Make Kiddy Games

Mario games may be bright, colorful and easy for children to get into, but don't you dare call them "childish" to Shigeru Miyamoto's face.

The available in English [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/interview/sb4j/vol1/index.html], and with it yet another look into the mind of Nintendo mastermind Shigeru Miyamoto.

Among the many, many topics discussed by Miyamoto and Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata is the difference between making a game that is played by children, and making a game that is childish.

[blockquote]Unless you're careful, there's a tendency for games like Mario that can be played by children to gradually become childish. Those making the game tend to unconsciously make them that way.

Taking how Mario's line can be scripted as an example, they even propose to write, "Where'd my mommy go?". When someone in their fifties like me hears their player-character speak childishly like that, it doesn't quite sit right. After all, Mario wasn't a game only for children in the first place.[/blockquote]

It's true that Miyamoto and Nintendo make games designed for children to be able to play them. In fact, earlier in the interview, Miyamoto discusses how he directed artists to design enemies such that their purpose was immediately obvious "just by looking at them" - but that doesn't mean they make children's games.

After all, says Miyamoto, "[as] I make a game, I try to keep in mind that guys in their fifties will play it, too."

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5546045/nintendo-isnt-trying-to-make-kiddy-games])

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Absolutely true. This flies in the face of people who hate Nintendo because of their lack of M-rated games and every moron who disregarded Wind Waker just because of the art style. Kid-friendly and kiddy are not the same thing.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
The same logic applies to Pixar. Make something with layers and depth and let your audience draw their own conclusion from it.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
children games are games whos target demographic is children
you do make kid games Shigeru Miyamoto despite the fact you deny it(theres nothing wrong with makeing kid games just don't be ashamed of it)

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
There's a fine line to walk between kiddie and kid friendly, like Thaius said. But it all goes back to what Stan Lee once said about comic books, "you have to remember every comic is someone's first comic". The same can be said about video games, age ratings or not. So by making games that are intuitive (clearly defined goals, controls that make sense, etc.) you can make games that can be played by children (as long as the parent is ok with it) but add in things that don't take away from the game if you don't use them, but that can enhance your enjoyment of the game the more you master it. (Sounds a like the 8 and 16-bit era, huh?)

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
BOW DOWN TO THE MIYAMOTO, FOR HE HATH SPOKEN!

He will f*ck you up with that master sword...probably the biggoron sword by now.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
The challenge of Miyamoto's games have decreased significantly over the years, that's not a deniable fact. Going from 6 health slots in SM64 to only 3 health slots in SMG and SMG2 show this. It's not that the games are becoming kiddy that I'm worried about. It's the fact that I can walk through a Mario game in about 2-3 hours. Beaching Yoshi's Story in 40 minutes was a major piss off. Where the hell has Star Fox been? What about Donky Kong? Kirby hasn't had a true game in two console gens. It seems like the creativity of Nintendo is leaving at a rapid rate.

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
SuperMse said:
Every time I see quote from Miyamoto, it makes me smile. The man is greatest toymaker in history.
THEY AREN'T TOYS, THEY ARE PRODUCTS AAAARRRRGH ASDHASDJASHDJAS, etc etc.

Also i always figured it wasn't for kids anyway, what with a mass murdering italian plumber "rescuing" a princess, all in the name of "love".

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I'm kinda lost on why anyone cares. Surely the people who call them childish are the people who aren't playing them anyway and are probably buying them for their kids. He just has to face the fact that he doesn't get to tell people what to think.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
The challenge of Miyamoto's games have decreased significantly over the years, that's not a deniable fact. Going from 6 health slots in SM64 to only 3 health slots in SMG and SMG2 show this. It's not that the games are becoming kiddy that I'm worried about. It's the fact that I can walk through a Mario game in about 2-3 hours. Beaching Yoshi's Story in 40 minutes was a major piss off. Where the hell has Star Fox been? What about Donky Kong? Kirby hasn't had a true game in two console gens. It seems like the creativity of Nintendo is leaving at a rapid rate.
So that makes Modern Warfare 2 a kiddy game because it's short and easy?

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:

I may not be the best Mario player in the history of ever, but I'm certainly no slouch either. New Super Mario Bros. Wii and the first Super Mario Galaxy weren't exactly a walk in the park to beat.

Although I COMPLETELY agree about the other franchises that have more or less been dropped. Not cool, Nintendo. You've got more than Mario, Link and Samus at your disposal (although I LOVE me some Metroid).

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
To be honest, Miyamoto does kind of have a point. Just beacuse a game can be played by children doesn't mean that it is just for children. Mario was always an example of a game that can be enjoyed by the entire family.

Aug 13, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
the health thing argument's just stupid
i almost never died in sm64 or sunshine from health beacuse of it
but i die so much in galaxy from it, it's brutal
and the daredevil comet whic gives you only 1 piece is literally the cruelest thing ever designed, they want a perfect run?! and some of the levels are not easy to do even with 3 pieces
the rest i somewhat understand, i prefer the design of the 3d games myself so i disagree but that's personal preference