Shigeru Miyamoto Says His Rivals Are Boring, Samey

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
Meanwhile Nintendo keeps releasing the same handheld device every 6 months, living off the same 4 or 5 IPs and making Mario #267.
I love the SNES and all the memories that go along with it but come on, pot and kettle much?
It kind of disappoints me when I see these kind of predictable off-hand criticisms. It's like saying Degas only painted Ballerinas. Obviously Miyamoto would have been aware how easily it would be to superficially dismiss his own games when he said this. But luckily he, and others, know that what he produces is more subtle and groundbreaking than that. Can you honestly say he's been producing the same game over and over if you were to play Mario Bros then Super Mario Galaxy back-to-back? If so, then the world must contain about five different objects from your perspective.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
floppylobster said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Meanwhile Nintendo keeps releasing the same handheld device every 6 months, living off the same 4 or 5 IPs and making Mario #267.
I love the SNES and all the memories that go along with it but come on, pot and kettle much?
It kind of disappoints me when I see these kind of predictable off-hand criticisms. It's like saying Degas only painted Ballerinas. Obviously Miyamoto would have been aware how easily it would be to superficially dismiss his own games when he said this. But luckily he, and others, know that what he produces is more subtle and groundbreaking than that. Can you honestly say he's been producing the same game over and over if you were to play Mario Bros then Super Mario Galaxy back-to-back? If so, then the world must contain about five different objects from your perspective.
That's seven different objects, but let's not digress.
There's something like 300 Mario games and I'm sure most of them look, sound and play roughly the same.