Shigeru Miyamoto Wants to Make an FPS

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
et tu Shigeru? Like we don't have enough FPS's. If he does get to making one, just please don't let it end up being another gritty gun fest.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Innegativeion said:
????? The primes took place in a first person perspective, and the main mechanic was shooting.

FPS

First

Person

Shooter
No, it was a First-person Metroid. All the hallmarks of the series were there. The exploration and the discovery of new weapons and powers to use to discover new areas and get further in the game were still the key focuses to the gameplay. It may have been in first-person, but it was still a Metroidvania in every other respect.

And the main mechanic of the game was as much scanning as it was shooting.

an874 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:
This is hilarious. I wonder what all the Nintendo fanboys who say "Yeah, Nintendo is awesome, they're not making a bunch of DUMB FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE" are thinking right now.

Hey Moviebob! See this here?
Did you even read the story? It sounds like he is more interested in the exploration aspect of what fps games used to be instead of the set pieces they mostly are now.
Still won't work for all the Nintendo fans who say first person shooters are inherently bad.

Hint: MovieBob.
You do realize he never said that, right?
Actually, he has in fact said exactly that. I can direct you to an episode of his Screwattack show "The Game Overthinker" called "Worst Person." I think it was episode 40-something, but I might be wrong. Go watch it, see his full view on the FPS genre, and tell then decide how you feel about his opinion, but he does end it quite inusltingly to people who like fps games (although it was done with comic exaggeration, so it didn't really bother me).
I just watched it. He doesn't say he hates shooters, they just don't interest him, and he doesn't like a lot of the changes in Gaming culture that have come as a result of the genre's dominance.

I do think he will likely have mixed feelings over this, though.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I insist.

People complaining about Nintendo "making the same games over and over again", just look at your shelf of games, heck, just look at the game that's on your disc tray right now and tell me wich one has guns and the classic 3 colors of grey, brown and black?, heck, how many of those games start with a "Call" and ends with "Duty"?. And tell me how many changes has those games had over the span of 4 to 5 years?.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I actually had a nerdgasm at the very thought of Miyamoto making a first person perspective game himself.
I don't think it'll necessary be a shooter, much less something to remotely do with military forces or generic space marines.

But if it is a shooter, he'd better hire Retro Studios for the job or just tell them to make another Metroid game in first person perspective.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
I insist.

People complaining about Nintendo "making the same games over and over again", just look at your shelf of games, heck, just look at the game that's on your disc tray right now and tell me wich one has guns and the classic 3 colors of grey, brown and black?, heck, how many of those games start with a "Call" and ends with "Duty"?. And tell me how many changes has those games had over the span of 4 to 5 years?.

I have two... well, there is also Borderlands...

*enters "Completely Missing the Point" [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ComicallyMissingThePoint?from=Main.CompletelyMissingThePoint] zone*

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Tanis said:
IMAGINE a FPS where it's using actual COLOR and not about killing the 'ethnic baddie of the week'.
Sounds like Halo.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
SupahGamuh said:

Uhh... That adds up to about... four. Out of forty five. Only counting PS3 and Steam.
That what you thought?
Something tells me it isn't.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Tanis said:
IMAGINE a FPS where it's using actual COLOR and not about killing the 'ethnic baddie of the week'.
Sounds like Halo.
or Serious Sam
or Tribes Ascend

Innegativeion said:
????? The primes took place in a first person perspective, and the main mechanic was shooting.

FPS

First

Person

Shooter
I think he meant the whole exploration focus, rather than regular linear level-by-level style
which wasn't all that unique tbh, console Powerslave/Exhumed and even Hexen already had it =P

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
FPS focus with an emphasis on exploration, use of perspective and immersion? Sounds like it has promise. I like many FPS', even the more generic ones can be fun (CoD, BF etc) but I dunno, I do often feel that they don't make full use of the first person perspective and how immersive that can be, how much it limits your sight too.

Bioshock did use some interesting stuff with it but the emphasis there was more on the aesthetic and getting you to believe than anything else, I'm sure games have tried to use it for other things, I just can't think of any that have succeeded.

I dunno, could be terrible, probably will be if it ever happens. Could be nice.
I doubt they'll let him off the leash to do anything fun though...

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Innegativeion said:
Scarim Coral said:
Yes I do know Mario does got violence for stomping his enemies and Legend of Zelda did got FPS element with the bow and arrow (Star Fox was more like a shoot them up).
However consider what most FPS are like these days (Halo, Call of Duty, Gear Of War, Left 4 Dead, Serious Sam, Borderland, Fallout 3, Bullet Storm and etc and etc) I cannot grasp the idea of them doing a FPS like those unless it was quite kiddy in a way.
Well the Metroid Prime series are considered first party titles, and probably some of the best fps'es I've ever played. Right up there with Half-Life. Apparently, Miyamoto also had a hand in those, though not to the extent of mario and zelda of course.

You don't need blood to kill peeps.

The Metroid game actually got pretty graphic, what with all the firing off alien body parts to expose organs gushing with blue or green fluid, the excruciatingly detailed descriptions in scans of how corpses you find died, blowing up a giant womb, fighting possessed corpses, and various other, usually phazon-based, body horrors.
True I guess since I have played and loved the Prime series but wouldn't the alien fuild you just shot would consider to be blood will alien blood?
I guess I can't picture Miyamoto, the creator of Mario to consider making a proper FPS game per say as he always seen games to be fun and playful and not violence like most FPS game. I mean I think it would be similar to Timesplitter as that game was fun and playful while you still kill things in that game.
Legend of Zelda not violent? Despite the amount of sword-slashing going on?

Honestly, I'd be happy to have interesting enemies to fight, instead of just Dudes with Guns.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
teh_Canape said:
I think he meant the whole exploration focus, rather than regular linear level-by-level style
which wasn't all that unique tbh, console Powerslave/Exhumed and even Hexen already had it =P
To be fair, it was a naturally evolution of the early sidescrolling metroid games, which, among a few other games, pretty much invented nonlinear gameplay.

You know, it's called metroidvania for a reason ;).

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
JPH330 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:
This is hilarious. I wonder what all the Nintendo fanboys who say "Yeah, Nintendo is awesome, they're not making a bunch of DUMB FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE" are thinking right now.

Did you even read the story? It sounds like he is more interested in the exploration aspect of what fps games used to be instead of the set pieces they mostly are now.
Still won't work for all the Nintendo fans who say first person shooters are inherently bad.

Yes, he did. [http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-42-worst-person%E2%80%9D]
And not even a full minute into the video that you submit as evidence of MovieBob hating FPS games (about 50 seconds in, if we're keeping track): "I don't hate first person shooters". gg

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Innegativeion said:
teh_Canape said:
To be fair, it was a naturally evolution of the early sidescrolling metroid games, which, among a few other games, pretty much invented nonlinear gameplay.

You know, it's called metroidvania for a reason ;).
yeah I know all that, and that they went with exploration style to keep it... well Metroid
also in the words of Yahtzee, it's literally half the word =P

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
JPH330 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:

Yes, he did. [http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-42-worst-person%E2%80%9D]
And not even a full minute into the video that you submit as evidence of MovieBob hating FPS games (about 50 seconds in, if we're keeping track): "I don't hate first person shooters". gg
I didn't say he hated them. Don't put words into my mouth.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
To anyone complaining about Miyamoto wanting to make an FPS, he's already has one under his belt.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
SupahGamuh said:
Hmm, none and i own 22 ps3 games where 3 of them are first person shooters(Resistance 1+3 and Wolfenstein). Then there´s shadows of the damned and vanquish, which could also be considered shooters. The rest i different stuff (and no, it isn´t madden either^^).

And i wouldn´t exactly call nintendo innovators when it comes to software, last big thing they did was Mario Galaxy. Rest seems to be throwbacks and iterations of wellknown concepts (maybe bigger iterations than Call of duty? i couldn´t say, as i haven´t played any call of duty games since the first one).
Lastly, a nintendo Fps could be interesting, atleast it would be something they haven´t done in a while.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
JPH330 said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
JPH330 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:

I didn't say he hated them. Don't put words into my mouth.
Semantics. He still doesn't say what you think he says in that video. All he says (essentially) is that the FPS genre has grown stagnant; and it has. And this is coming from a person who's favorite games list includes titles like Serious Sam, Fallout 3, and Half Li- well, basically anything from Valve, really. ;P And let's not forget Deus Ex, Killing Floor, and a number of other FPS titles that would be hard to remove from a "Top 10 Favorites" list for me.

Face it, the last time the FPS genre had any innovation was when someone said "Hey, what if it took a realistic amount of bullets to kill someone?" And that was over a decade ago! That doesn't make them "inherently bad", a phrase which is never said through-out that entire video*, by the way, Mr. "Don't put words in my mouth". It just means that they aren't really doing anything. So if you weren't into FPS titles 10 years ago, what's changed that maybe you'll want to check them out now?

*Edit: Okay, so after rewatching the video, he does say "inherently flawed", however he isn't talking about FPS's, he's talking about the first person perspective in general not really working for anything outside of Shooters (not counting games where you just look at stuff).

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
I say Shigeru should go for it. Whether or not he creates yet another gaming revolution is irrelevant. The man has paid his dues many times over, and he's entitled to experiment at this point.