Shin Megami Tensei IV Gets Discount From Atlus

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Shin Megami Tensei IV Gets Discount From Atlus

Atlus is knocking $10 off the sticker price of Shin Megami Tensei IV until October 14th.

The latest entry in the long running Shin Megami Tensei series, Shin Megami Tensei IV <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124432-Shin-Megami-Tensei-IV-Tops-Japans-Sales-Charts>lit up Japanese sales charts when it launched back in May. Perhaps hoping to drive up American sales a bit, Atlus has announced that the game's price will be dropping ten dollars to $39.99 for the next two weeks. The sale, which will end on October 14th, will apply to both physical copies sold in stores and digital editions sold in the 3DS's eShop. Following the end of the sale the price will shift back to its original $49.99.

Following the quest of protagonist Flynn to defend his homeland from demons, Shin Megami Tensei IV elicited <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/shin-megami-tensei-iv>no small amount of praise from reviewers who appreciated the game's challenge as well as the intense depth of its role-playing mechanics. Some had criticisms for the game's story but, overall, reception for the game was positive with some counting it as one of the better JRPGs to come out in recent years.

Granted, 40 dollars isn't, by any means, chump change, but it's still a 20 percent discount on a new copy of a recent game that, on its own, has enough content to pretty much dominate your free time for a good long while. In other words, if you have a hankering a good JRPG, you might want to head to the 3DS eShop while you have the chance.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
What a good deal. Now if only we could actually get the game in Europe, that'd be splendid, Atlus.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
What a good deal. Now if only we could actually get the game in Europe, that'd be splendid, Atlus.
Yeah, I don't need the discount, just getting the game would be enough. However I am completely aware that Atlus isn't the one doing the publishing and they can't really be blamed for this taking so long. They don't have an European branch and all that reasonable stuff... It still sucks though.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Anyone who hasn't gotten the game yet, get it now, easily one of the best games on the 3DS.

Hope it gets released in Europe at least by late January, since I hope to get it for my sisters girlfriend, she has been curious about the SMT series.
Have you beat it yet, can you describe the ending as a "feel good" sort of ending(in spoilers for those who don't want the answer to this)? Endings are very important to me and I've not played some very good games because the ending were depressing.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Anyone who hasn't gotten the game yet, get it now, easily one of the best games on the 3DS.

Hope it gets released in Europe at least by late January, since I hope to get it for my sisters girlfriend, she has been curious about the SMT series.
Have you beat it yet, can you describe the ending as a "feel good" sort of ending(in spoilers for those who don't want the answer to this)? Endings are very important to me and I've not played some very good games because the ending were depressing.
There's three endings. Each determining every desicion you've made throughout the game.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
That's nice Atlus. You know what would be even nicer? An EU release date.
I'm seriously considering buying a NA 3DS and Vita because although I would have to pay to import the games (which I did for both Devil Survivor games anyway), at least they would arrive in a timely manner. The wait for P4A was nigh on unbearable, and I may go insane waiting for Persona 5. Hopefully it won't be region locked.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
RaikuFA said:
-Dragmire- said:
TizzytheTormentor said:

There's three endings. Each determining every desicion you've made throughout the game.
Is that the usual good/true, normal and bad ending?

I looked up the ending to Persona 3 before finishing it and found the ending so depressing I don't think I'll ever finish it. I don't want to spend money on a game that I can't enjoy due to the ending content.

I realize many will consider this a stupid reason not to get a good game but that's just the way I am.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
-Dragmire- said:
TizzytheTormentor said:

There are 3 endings.
The Neutral ending route is by far the happiest (certainly a "feel good" ending)

The other 2 (Law and Chaos) Your milage may vary, from the view of its respective philosophy, the endings are great, they are conclusive and very fun to play, but they are very heavy in emotion (heart-breaking even) But they are both excellent endings in their own right.

For your first playthrough, I say just play and enjoy the game, play through whichever ending route you are locked into till the very end. The game has a New Game+ feature, making a subsequent playthrough quicker and easier.

The Neutral route is notoriously hard to get without a guide (even with a guide, it is hard to get without following it perfectly) So I say try get this ending the second time around if you don't get it the first time.

Also, even Neutral has very sad moments.

Please don't look up spoilers, it would lessen the impact.

Also, play Persona 3, its a brilliant ending even if it is quite sad (sad endings are not bad endings) Persona 3's ending was a perfect conclusion to an excellent game and sometimes, the journey beats the destination, wouldn't you say?

EDIT: Also, this is the Shin Megami Tensei main series, endings where everyone is happy and the world is covered in glitter and unicorn farts are rare and/or non-existent, no matter what ending, someone will get the short end of the stick)
Sorry, the destination colours my view of the journey. I will never say a sad ending is a bad one but it will be one I won't enjoy.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
-Dragmire- said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
-Dragmire- said:
TizzytheTormentor said:

There are 3 endings.
The Neutral ending route is by far the happiest (certainly a "feel good" ending)

The other 2 (Law and Chaos) Your milage may vary, from the view of its respective philosophy, the endings are great, they are conclusive and very fun to play, but they are very heavy in emotion (heart-breaking even) But they are both excellent endings in their own right.

For your first playthrough, I say just play and enjoy the game, play through whichever ending route you are locked into till the very end. The game has a New Game+ feature, making a subsequent playthrough quicker and easier.

The Neutral route is notoriously hard to get without a guide (even with a guide, it is hard to get without following it perfectly) So I say try get this ending the second time around if you don't get it the first time.

Also, even Neutral has very sad moments.

Please don't look up spoilers, it would lessen the impact.

Also, play Persona 3, its a brilliant ending even if it is quite sad (sad endings are not bad endings) Persona 3's ending was a perfect conclusion to an excellent game and sometimes, the journey beats the destination, wouldn't you say?

EDIT: Also, this is the Shin Megami Tensei main series, endings where everyone is happy and the world is covered in glitter and unicorn farts are rare and/or non-existent, no matter what ending, someone will get the short end of the stick)
Sorry, the destination colours my view of the journey. I will never say a sad ending is a bad one but it will be one I won't enjoy.
So unless an ending is totally good with no bad bits in it, you won't enjoy it?

I still say play the games, if you are dead set on getting a feel good ending, go for Neutral, just be sure to follow a guide the whole way through. Its a bit sad (each ending is) But it fits and it still ends on a good note.

Also, because I really have to, the game isn't THAT hard, the beginning is absolutely brutal, but once you get out of Naraku, the game opens up and gets easier.
I don't like it when things turn out badly for the main character because it feels like I personally failed them. I realize this is a silly position to have but I feel very empathetic towards my characters.

Drakengard is possibly the only exception to this and I still can't figure out why...

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
RaikuFA said:
-Dragmire- said:
TizzytheTormentor said:

I looked up the ending to Persona 3 before finishing it and found the ending so depressing I don't think I'll ever finish it. I don't want to spend money on a game that I can't enjoy due to the ending content.

I realize many will consider this a stupid reason not to get a good game but that's just the way I am.
All the SMT games go like this:

Law ending: Total peace but at the cost of freedom. Think 1984 with angels.

Chaos Ending: Freedom at the cost of peace. Think Road Warrior.

Neutral: These are always considered the true endings of the games, but the hardest. But they're always the best though usually your two friends who took one or the other side will die at your hands.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
RaikuFA said:
-Dragmire- said:
RaikuFA said:
-Dragmire- said:
TizzytheTormentor said:

Neutral: These are always considered the true endings of the games, but the hardest. But they're always the best though usually your two friends who took one or the other side will die at your hands.
Thanks, I really appreciate your answer. It's exactly the type of answer I wanted, not too specific and not too vague.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
RaikuFA said:
-Dragmire- said:
RaikuFA said:
-Dragmire- said:
TizzytheTormentor said:

Thanks, I really appreciate your answer. It's exactly the type of answer I wanted, not too specific and not too vague.
Then enjoy/. It's a series that everyone should enjoy.