ShinyLoot's "Forever Alone Sale" Caters to Solo Gamers

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
ShinyLoot's "Forever Alone Sale" Caters to Solo Gamers

ShinyLoot knows that you don't need a co-op partner on Valentine's Day to have a fun time.

Valentine's Day is almost here, which means couples are buying over-priced cards and flowers while single folks become acutely aware of the fact that they're single. But fear not, lonely gamers: offering discounts on over 170 single-player games to keep you company this week [http://shinyloot.com/].

A third of the ShinyLoot library features discounts up to 80% off for the next few days, with each game at its best in single-player. "All you need is a mouse, a keyboard, and your personal computer to warm that bitter heart," the site assures. A big-discount deal will be offered every day to complement the week-long sales, up through February 16.

ShinyLoot is an indie-focused digital distribution site, dedicated to offering exposure to obscure indie titles. The site also has a firm stance against DRM, which has earned some respect from both customers and developers.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
... Goddammit. I just bought Creeper World 3 like two hours ago. "It never goes on sale" I told myself "It won't go on sale any time soon."

Dammit.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Ultratwinkie said:
My god, its like greenlight shat all over that page. Even some of the names are cringe worthy.

I mean, alien shooter 2? Holy Avatar vs Maidens of the Dead? City Sandbox?

I mean, wow, that's the most uninspired names I seen in a while.
Actually "Holy Avatar Vs. Maidens Of The Dead" is the third game in a fairly successful indie series that started with "Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes". Not a huge success mind you, but one that seems to have a reasonable following. The whole series is a fantasy spoof and "The Holy Avatar" is a recurring character and arguably the "hero" of the piece with the character your playing (the protagonist) themself being kind a joke. In the first game for example your character is an emo, and the strategy if I remember revolves around properly timing your fits of angst fueled depression. Directly playing off "Holy Avatar" running around in sunglasses speaking about himself in the third person as "His Humble Semi-Divine Self". The Maidens are another recurring gag, being a ranged attack unit that pretty much drops dead in a stiff breeze, your party runs around rescueing maidens who fawn all over you and then die like flies in battle. Since their central mechanic is to be babes who are rescued and then die, the whole "Maidens Of The Dead" bit is obviously directed at series fans.... the implication being that Holy Avatar is probably going to be in for some "justified" payback for letting all those maidens he rescued die.... I can however see why those who don't know the series wouldn't be drawn in by that title.

Personally I think the whole thing was amusing in doses, not sure if I ever finished one of those games though. They certainly don't deserve to be knocked (even if the trope-based humor and strategy-RPG gameplay isn't for everyone) but I'm not running right out to get the third one either.

personally I thought it was amusing in doses, but needless to say I'm not rushing right out to buy #3. :)

-

Otherwise in response to the article itself... that logo and sales pitch... never have I felt more proud to be someone who likes solo games... :/

I can take a joke though, and it does seem like a decent deal for those really into indie titles who aren't patient enough to wait for a STEAM sale (and some of these do not seem to be on Steam). Personally I'll be passing on it though.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Caster and Spectraball are pretty good for $1 each, though Spectraball gets frustrating.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
That website is a bit of an oddball when it comes to their inventory. I got some rare and weird indie games from there, like They Breathe, Deadly 30, Oknytt and others.

I actually looked through this sale but saw nothing that interested me too much...

Falterfire said:
... Goddammit. I just bought Creeper World 3 like two hours ago. "It never goes on sale" I told myself "It won't go on sale any time soon."
...although those games were kind of intriguing. How do they play exactly, because the info on there is very limited? It sounds like you like the series? What to expect from 'em?

Ultratwinkie said:
I mean, alien shooter 2?
Alien Shooter 1 and 2 are actually pretty good if you like isometric mouse/keyboard shooters. The second one has some improved RPG-features. They're obviously a bit tongue-in-cheek with those name, but played very straightly and a lot of fun. The music is especially awesome if you're into cheesy rock and shooting monsters.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Skeleon said:
...although those games were kind of intriguing. How do they play exactly, because the info on there is very limited? It sounds like you like the series? What to expect from 'em?
I'd recommend either downloading the demo from http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld3/cw3.php (It contains the first five (?) levels of the full game) or watching Paul from LoadingReadyRun do a Let's Play of the same levels over at http://www.twitch.tv/loadingreadyrun/b/500540301

Either of those should give you an excellent idea of what to expect.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Worst possible timing by the way, I have jack-all money despite already starting work.

[small]friggin boss dragging his feet on my contract.[/small]

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
I'm sure quality titles like the Perfidious Petrol Station with Nancy the Happy Whore (not kidding, that's the protagonist's name) will tide you over this Valentine's.

Greymanelor

May 6, 2013
Oh man, Raptor: Call of the Shadows for only three bucks. I played the ever loving crap out of the demo for that game on my very first PC.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Falterfire said:
Either of those should give you an excellent idea of what to expect.
Thanks! The video is no longer up/working, but I played the demo. It's very interesting. A bit like a Tower Defense/Economy Sim/RTS mixture. I'll buy the pack. That said, from the demos, I think I'll enjoy the first and third part best. The second one with the sideways view seems... odd.

Nghtgnt

May 30, 2010
Huh... I had never even heard of Shiny Loot before this. They have enough games that look interesting enough for me to bookmark the site and check it out later, so I suppose this sale of theirs did it's job advertising-wise. Well done.