Shipment Of Splatoon Bound For GAME Stores In UK Stolen

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Shipment Of Splatoon Bound For GAME Stores In UK Stolen

Squid kids nabbed by thieves.

Customers of UK retailer GAME who pre-ordered Splatoon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/13978-Splatoon-Review-Wii-U-s-Kid-Family-Friendly-Shooter], Nintendo's online multiplayer shooter filled with squids, kids, and paint, received disappointing news today. According to an e-mail sent to customers, a truck which was transporting merchandise from Nintendo's European warehouse to the retailer has been stolen. In the lost shipment was the chain's entire allocation of the limited edition bundle featuring the "Squid Inkling" Amiibo.

Due to the theft, GAME will not only be unable to fulfill pre-orders in time for the game's scheduled release on Friday, May 29, but they will not be receiving replacements for the lost merchandise either. This means that nobody will be scoring the Squid Inkling from GAME at all. Ouch.

Customers who pre-ordered the Splatoon bundle with the special Amiibo from GAME will instead be shipped the standard version. As an apology for the inconvenience, GAME will also be taking £10 off the purchase price of the standard edition. Those who wish to cancel their orders altogether, rather than accept the substitution, will need to contact GAME before they ship out copies midday Friday.

Pre-orders of the Boy Inkling and Girl Inkling Amiibo toys will be fulfilled, though they too will be late in shipping.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/a-large-shipment-of-uk-copies-of-splatoon-have-been-stolen-292861.phtml]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Sorry, can't resist.

But in all seriousness, why this game? Of all games, Splatoon? Not like...the Witcher 3 or something more...I don't want to say news worthy, because the article is proof otherwise.
But surely a more high-profile game would be a better target?

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Silentpony said:
But in all seriousness, why this game? Of all games, Splatoon? Not like...the Witcher 3 or something more...I don't want to say news worthy, because the article is proof otherwise.
But surely a more high-profile game would be a better target?
I would say it's more for the amiibos than the game. There's no appreciation value for the game due to digital releases these days but amiibos are already in high demand and the Splatoon ones are no exception.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Now I have visions of a shady man in a trenchcoat, hat and sunglasses lurking in an alleyway. "Psst. Oi mate, I got these amiibos."

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
It's a weird world we live in these days, where criminals are engineering the theft of video games for the market value of little figurines.
Why do you make me want something like that to become a new heist for GTA Online.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
It's mildly amusing, though I feel bad for people who won't be able to get their games on time...

.... actually, I feel the need to check my local Gamestop now, just to make sure. I mean, you never know, I suppose...

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Aerosteam said:
Amiibo might as well be a new type of currency at this point.
"Hello, I'd like to buy some bananas."
"That'll be 3 Mario Amiibos."
"Oooh, I only got 2 Kirby Amiibos..."
"Well, you can buy an orange with those."

OT: Yeah, this is a dumb way to get Amiibos.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Aerosteam said:
After the inevitable collapse of civilisation, the Amiibo will be worth more than food, or fuel

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
To the assholes who stole them: good luck trying to resell them without getting caught.

To Nintendo: this is how bad you've made this situation. You now can not play a section of the game because said section is stolen.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
As people have brought up on other places on the web, does GAMES not even have GPS trackers for their trucks? I mean, in general it would be pretty damn easy to steal any game from that particular chain if they only employ one huge truck of their supply of shipments across all chains. Surely they can pool together the money to put a tracker on the only truck they have responsible for new game shipments?

Either way, I hope the cargo is found soon, and if you see buyers with EU Splatoon bundles on Ebay it's best to report them for they may very well be scalpers profiting off of major theft.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Alfador_VII said:
Aerosteam said:
After the inevitable collapse of civilisation, the Amiibo will be worth more than food, or fuel
I rather see collapse of civilisation resulting in the Amiibo fulfilling the role of the Vault-Tec Bobblehead in our post-apocalyptic society.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Nintendo could screw with the criminals by making more of the bundle and releasing the Squid Amiibo as a regular edition, taking all the value away from the stolen ones. Drop the value of the Amiibo to next to nothing and take away their profits!

Will they? unlikely