Shit just got real moments in video games.

JSF16

Jul 8, 2011
New Vegas, Lonesome Road. I'd just finished blasting down yet another Deathclaw and was nursing my disemboweled entrails on the top of an angled, burnt-out bus when yet another Deathclaw came running. Not I'm almost dead with barely any ammo left, but I'm sure he can't run up the narrow bus roof to get me. He stopped by the bottom of the bus and just stared at me while I laughed at him.

Shit, they can go up the roof.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
So I was playing Counter-Strike on some server that was totally empty except for me and one other guy. Neither of us had mics and we were having good time just having a one-on-one match.

Suddenly, the pings went up. The frame rate dropped. The round restarted. My headphones crackled. A shiver ran up my spine. The dreaded middle schoolers had appeared. None of them had hit puberty yet, they all had mics, and they were all screaming. Nine of them. Nine. Our game had turned into a shrieking hell.

Well, we weren't going to put up with this shit. No sir. Thankfully, the server had deemed me the host, so I had control over the game. I constructed a match with the two of us as Terrorists, and The Nine as Counter-Terrorists. The map was custom, and our spawn point was perfect. We were on a tall building with only two ways up. The Nine assaulted us, howling their death-chants and battle cries of "Fags!" and "Campers!" We held the waves back, just barely. We lasted ten minutes. A grenade finally got me, leaving a hole in our defenses. But, we had had our revenge. Satisfied with the kills we got, and the rage we caused, we left The Nine to screech their slurs among themselves.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Twice in Final Fantasy X. There's opening where this giant monster sucks up a whole city, and then the bit with the port town and the children.

Shit got more real.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
1. Play Infamous. EH, it's not that hard. Actually, it's kind of easy.
2. Reach final boss. Pssh, bosses have been easy so far, do it.
3. Die in less then a minute. HOLY CRAP!

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
The very end of Yakuza 4 when they all put on suits and place billions of yen ontop of a building for one final showdown with there foes

phreakdb

May 1, 2009
Sephiroth Killing Aeris.

It's halfway through BC, and I finally decide to rejoin a guild after Vanilla Burnout. I'm rocking a Tauren Druid as an off-healer in Skittles gear on my first run through Kara. Our healer goes down because our off tank failed. Our main tank finally fails with Morose at 25%. I B-rez the priest and go into bear after HoTing myself up. Throughout the rest of the fight, which lasted a few more minutes than it should have, I flip between tanking and popping HoTs on myself and others. It wasn't the first time i had been forced to do that, but it was a close call throughout quite a bit of the fight, and right after we downed morose, everyone oomed, and i was on potion cooldown, so i died. lol.

Larkin109

Dec 23, 2008
Playing CoD:BO wager match Gun Game on Grid.

For those who don't know, Gun Game you start with a pistol and every kill you get you advance a level through other pistols, shotguns, smgs, assault rifles, lmgs, snipers, rocket launchers, grenade launcher, finishing with the explosive bolt crossbow and finally the ballistic knife, where the knife must be fired at your opponent to count, just stabbing him isn't enough.

As for the map, it's a medium small map, perfect for clan matches on objective based games like Search and Destroy or CTF, but not well suited to Free-For-All style gameplay.

Everywhere i went, i hear rapid footsteps and turn just in time to tag another player, this sees me in good stead through the the sniper rifles with only one death and a matter of seconds having passed from the Python revolver you start with, one of those perfect games where you see your next level walking round the corner just as your gun comes up, but they haven't seen you. First sniper rifle is the L96, i'm running through the centre street towards the hangars when i see a flicker of movement on the balcony above and to my right, i turn and fire, taking out the guy mid air who was jumping onto the roof of the truck in the street. Off the hip... Second sniper, WA2000, my favourite rifle, the rifle i use in clan matches to support my team. I don't even think, the rifle flies instantly to my shoulder, settling perfectly to the remembered groove it's made in my flesh, trigger squeezed, rifle barks, target coming out of the hangar side door dies. I'm barely past the truck. Grim Reaper settles on my shoulder and before the sight is opened i'm firing it into the doorway on my left, killing an unlucky player stuck on the shotgun. I duck round the truck as i open the tube of the LAW now in my hands, heading into the doorway underneath the balcony and through that building, out through the yellow lighted doors and i'm behind my next target. I take my first breath since before i had the sniper rifle, not even realising i'd been holding it in, and take my aim. Right as the rocket leaves the tube, i hear a bang and see a splatter of blood on my own screen, I'm dead, down on one of the hardest..... I'm not dead, that bang was someone catching up to me. Through the smoke and explosion of the LAW hitting the wall and killing my mark, a sniper had fired and killed the guy about to set me back a level with his knife. As a thankyou and a mark of respect to my opponent and saviour in one, i give them time to escape as i draw out the China Lake and run through the grid area at the top of the map, then fire it through the gate in the back wall at the jeeps the sniper fired from. He didn't try to escape when i gave him chance, he got greedy and waited for me. He hit me, but he died. I take a moment to watch the killcam, grinning as i see the 40mm projectile didn't hit the jeep, but flew straight into his face. I respawn in the yellow-lit doorway i'd been at moments before and run straight to the middle road, taking a quick detour round the block infront of me with a pylon on it and reflex-fire the crossbow now in my hands as my screen starts to flash, hiding behind the jeep as the quarrel explodes and kills my would-be slayer. Now, after all that brief firefighting, a round that has lasted 3 minutes roughly, all the heart stopping, breath-catching close calls and shots taken at ranges i really hate, all the "shit gettin' real" already, the shit got so real on the ballistic knife that moments like it should be class B narcotics at least.

I came round the jeep in what felt like slow-motion, heading towards the hangars, and i see my previous mark. The sniper. The one who'd killed me. Killed me using a WA2000. The sniper who now has a Grim Reaper, 4-shot, semi-automatic rocket launcher pointed at me. He fires and i literally jump, as player and as avatar, there was air beneath the feet and air beneath my bum, the rocket flies under and blows up the jeep i was just using as cover. Range: 40m. He fires again and it goes wide without me having to dodge. I feel my heart beat a second time. Range: 30m. Third shot, i'm feeling touched, i hit my prone key whilst i'm sprinting and hope for the best, the rocket flies under my airborne, prostrate body and kills someone behind me, that's not good news for the guy. Range 20m and he's changing weapons to the LAW. He's earnt it and my "honourable gamer" personal code of conduct stops me taking the shot, but it's not long before he fires the tube and i go to stab at my prone key and make it fly over me. I miss the key. I hit lean left. The rocket flies over my right shoulder as i fire the Ballistic Knife. It hits him, clean, professional, right in the heart. I let out my breath and watch the replay, seeing myself lean out the way of the rocket as if it had been intentional, seeing the guy standing there defenceless and reloading a single use weapon as the deadly projectile arcs the 20 meters towards him and hits squarely in the chest, knocking him back to slump against the crates stacked outside the hangar.

That was a very special moment for me and i tried to contact the player through steam afterwards, to congratulate them on a game well played and for managing to keep pace when, on a map like that, usually the first person to get a few kills will finish miles ahead of everyone else. They don't reply, or accept the friend request.

Shit got real for me then and, also, in Red Orchestra 2, the uber realistic WW2 shooter, when i get ambushed by a german MG team, fire my nagant at the first man and he dives into cover the otherside of the sandbag wall i'm using myself, work the bolt and second shot kills the MG gunner and his ammo runner, through-and-through. So i vault the wall to bayonet the first man and as i land and go for the deathstroke, all i hear is gurgling coming out of the body already stiffening in the snow. My first shot had killed him already, just not instantly. 2 bullets, 3 bodies.

Apologies for the length of post, but when you consider that a moment like that can happen in a game like CoD:BO being played on the PC, i like to think it gives a little hope that there is still some good to be had in this world. Even in the darkest places, you can find a spark of light.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Uncharted 2 Last Boss Crushing difficulty

HE WRECKED MY SHIT UP

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
In The First Crysis, When the Big Battles starts (When you have to take out the AA in the bay)

That's before the Aliens!

KuroShinobi

Oct 8, 2011
Playing the HD Remake of Shadow of Colossus. Got all the way to the Colossus that flys, I was unable to climb on the tower it was perching on, so I swam over to part of a building I could stand on and shot arrows at it. It then took of and continued to swoop me until I realised I could jump on it during the attack. I managed to jump onto it and grab it (this was when shit was getting real) only to climb onto it's wing and get thrown off. It took me ages to swim back to the building I jumped on it from. Sad face.

llew

Sep 9, 2009
Oblivion, right at the end when martin says "oh no, he is here, its all over" i replied with "ah he cant be that tough" turned around to see the big guy's shin and all the imperial guards fall to the deidra (or whatever their names were its been ages since i played it) and i basically went "... well fuck me..." and pegged it into the temple with martin on my heels before any of them could get me

Dracowrath

Jul 7, 2011
First time I played Dragon Age: Origins as a human noble. Running into Arl Howe. Just before the fight started, I paused the game. Cracked my knuckles, popped my neck, and let into him. Focusing everyone's attacks on him, and laughing when he fell over.

Also the quest All That Remains in DA2. As soon as Bodahn mentioned white lilies I was all "Oh HELL NO!". Tracked that son of a ***** down and tore him limb from limb with my big-ass sword.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
My friend and I recently got addicted to Splinter Cell: Conviction's coop mode, so here goes:

He gets put into a chokehold by an enemy, who then proceeds to shoot me to the ground. The thing is in this game, if you're downed, you can sit back up and keep shooting, but it makes you a target. My friend elbows the dude in the face, and right as the enemy is about to pull the trigger, I sit up and one-shot him in the face.

My friend starts walking back to revive me when another dude chokeholds my friend. I choose not to wait for him to elbow the dude in the face, and cap him in the forehead, Osama bin Laden style.

Pretty much everything you do in that game is cause for "FUCK YEAH! Shit just got real!"

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
And the Lord of Murder shall perish, and in his wake will spawn a score of mortal progency. Chaos shall be sown in their passing.

So sayeth the wise Alaundo.