Shit! we forgot an election thread for the midterms. Here it is now.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Americans can't handle anything that's more complex than football- two teams with one clear winner to cheer (and loser to jeer).
Played in very short sperts with plenty of time for replays, commentary, explanation, and ad breaks.

It's like if boxing was turn based, and I *like* football

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Played in very short sperts with plenty of time for replays, commentary, explanation, and ad breaks.

It's like if boxing was turn based, and I *like* football
The NFL model was copied and pasted into Congress. That makes a lot of sense. I've never understood why you run a game 10 seconds at a time, except when you need to return a ball like cricket and baseball

Reactions: Thaluikhain

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The NFL model was copied and pasted into Congress. That makes a lot of sense. I've never understood why you run a game 10 seconds at a time, except when you need to return a ball like cricket and baseball
How else are you gonna stretch a 60ish minute game to have over an hour's worth of commercials? Like, we even have TV Timeouts, which are time outs that the networks call to run commercials

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Once again the democrat are the master at clutching failure from the jaws of victory. At first I though it was because she opposed the railroad forced deal, but it turn out its just because now that dem have 51, she wouldn't be special anymore. She probably wasn't going to be able to get picked in primary in 2024 anyway so she's just going to milk her last two year. Problem is, she might split the vote next election if she run as independent, giving the seat back to the GOP.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
So the Democrat finally have a win and Sinema goes ''Whelp, high time for me to reveal I was a Republican plant all along''

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
So the Democrat finally have a win and Sinema goes ''Whelp, high time for me to reveal I was a Republican plant all along''
I mean she's still caucusing with Democrats, so it won't effect control of the Senate at all. Both Angus King (I-ME) and Bernie Sanders (I-VT) do the same.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I mean she's still caucusing with Democrats, so it won't effect control of the Senate at all. Both Angus King (I-ME) and Bernie Sanders (I-VT) do the same.
Technically even if she's an I and not a D, it puts the Senate 50-49 rather then 51-49, which doesn't help the GOP much in voting or committees. Moscow Mitch doesn't get to be Majority leader either way.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
What it does do is insulate her against primaries now that she knows she'd be doomed against any dem. Now there won't be a primary involving her and running one will just split the vote and give the seat to an R.

Reactions: Silvanus

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Sinema did the most rational thing available.

Leaving before she did would have left the Dems without a majority, and empowered the Republicans.

Leaving when she did allowed her to leave the Dems with a majority, but also freed her from having to follow their bullshit horse-trading directions.

Last edited:

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Sinema did the most rational/moral thing available.

Leaving before she did would have left the Dems without a majority, and empowered the Republicans.

Leaving when she did allowed her to leave the Dems with a majority, but also freed her from having to follow their bullshit horse-trading directions.
I would say her decision was less driven reason or morality than her own perverse, egocentric need to be contrarian. She has a history of doing shit like this.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I would say her decision was less driven reason or morality than her own perverse, egocentric need to be contrarian. She has a history of doing shit like this.
Examples?

I'm not knowledgeable about her, so for all I know you may well be right.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Based Biden, I assumed it would at least be 10 billion. Nope. It's 1 billion one time. I love Biden right now. there are literally more than 1 billion people in India. This is so based and greed-pilled. I love it so much.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA

Based Biden, I assumed it would at least be 10 billion. Nope. It's 1 billion one time. I love Biden right now. there are literally more than 1 billion people in India. This is so based and greed-pilled. I love it so much.
Don't forget far beyond Biden's authority as president. He's literally not supposed to be able to shell out 1 billion without Congressional approval. Unless he has 1 billion dollars of his own personal money squirreled away somewhere.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Don't forget far beyond Biden's authority as president. He's literally not supposed to be able to shell out 1 billion without Congressional approval. Unless he has 1 billion dollars of his own personal money squirreled away somewhere.
I can't actually find any statement from Biden promising that amount-- I might just not have found it though. If you can find a source, that would be useful.

At that meeting, only the establishment of the fund was announced, not the source or level of funding provided by specific countries.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I can't actually find any statement from Biden promising that amount-- I might just not have found it though. If you can find a source, that would be useful.

At that meeting, only the establishment of the fund was announced, not the source or level of funding provided by specific countries.
Yeah, I was trolling and looks be real I was also not in a good mood, but to be real, I am shocked it's 1 billion as even I would have promised more on my worst day, and I hate many countries' elites in the global south. But yeah this isn't a great idea, we looked like greedy pricks. I get what Biden is doing. He wants to save face/maintain American soft power via hard power or just don't do what Trump did. But that's like 3.50 for every American. I spend more on Fallout 76 on a sale than this.

We are truly fucked. Gen X will get power, and they will die before the worse effects of climate change. Then older millennials will get power, and they too won't face the worst of climate change as an island nation will.

My question is why the fuck are we delegating power in government via seniority. And don't BS or gaslight me with but le Bernie Sanders or Warren or older progressive democrats. For every progressive older person we have 2 or 3 more conservatives who only care about their families, and are ignorant of the fact that their families won't be making it to the climate bunkers with their one to two million dollars in assets.

All of the business types complain about how unions are inefficient and enforce seniority, but the government does it and nobody bats an eye.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I was trolling and looks be real I was also not in a good mood, but to be real, I am shocked it's 1 billion as even I would have promised more on my worst day, and I hate many countries' elites in the global south. But yeah this isn't a great idea, we looked like greedy pricks. I get what Biden is doing. He wants to save face/maintain American soft power via hard power or just don't do what Trump did. But that's like 3.50 for every American. I spend more on Fallout 76 on a sale than this.
I really don't think the actual amount was pinned down there. It will be dependent on Congressional approval.

Last time Biden requested Congress approve 11bn for climate action overall, and Congress approved only a little more than 1bn. If that's the level we're at, then it won't even be close to 1bn for the Loss and Damage fund, which is a relatively small element of the overall package. But that will be down to Congressional Republicans (and more than likely a few Democrats) torpedoing it, rather than down to Biden's request. He requested more and didn't get it last time.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
All of the business types complain about how unions are inefficient and enforce seniority, but the government does it and nobody bats an eye.
Probably because it's always been that way, since before the country was even founded. Among the people interested seniority has almost always determined who leads. Hell, it's usually seniority that determines positions of power in any system.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Probably because it's always been that way, since before the country was even founded. Among the people interested seniority has almost always determined who leads. Hell, it's usually seniority that determines positions of power in any system.
I mean, historically the choice of leadership has been either seniority, nepotism babies, or revolutionaries, the latter of which usually only showing up when the first two fuck up.

I figure a lot of our business "leaders" are fucking up primarily because they're revolutionaries who don't know jack about shit when it comes to whatever industry they get hired to disrupt or vulture this month. They're just trying to extract the maximum of quarterly value possible, long term consequences be damned

And we're running out of industries to vulture