"Shocking" Modern Warfare 2 to be Raised in U.K. Parliament

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
WrongSprite said:
http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/03/keithvaz.jpg

This, ladies and gentleman, is the awe inspiring force of nature intending to bring down MW2.

I don't think it's going to happen.
What's disturbing, is considering he is so outspoken, that he has to practice what he says in the mirror. There is no way I could stay serious looking at that face in the mirror for long. I can't stay serious looking at my own.
samaritan.squirrel said:
Yet, they don't object to hyper-realistic war movies. Or the whole 'grindhouse' genre, for that matter. What exactly is it that makes games so different?
I guess they feel they can feel detached from a movie, but the interactivity in a game sets a different standard. Besides, when was the last time the media reported on someone going on a spree after watching Death Proof? The media goes after what they want to go after, and the silly politicians think the media only reports what really happens. Silly, silly politicians.
Disaster Button said:
I hate my Government, I really, really do.
I wouldn't start thinking that this guy is going to be taken seriously by most of Parliament. Our own blowhard in the US isn't taken so seriously by anyone, and even got himself disbarred for his outrageous actions.

Shoes

Sep 19, 2009
WrongSprite said:

This, ladies and gentleman, is the awe inspiring force of nature intending to bring down MW2.

You can not be serious.....thats....thats the 2nd coming of Jack Thompson

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
Imagine if there was a 0 point secret achievement for "you know what" part.

Imagine the fallout for that. I have a strong mind (for want of a better way of putting it), and that sequence made even me feel uncomfortable.

This will be alive for a long time.

Shoes

Sep 19, 2009
Textbook Bobcat said:

Imagine the fallout for that. I have a strong mind (for want of a better way of putting it), and that sequence made even me feel uncomfortable.

Uh what?

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
shit, they found out. I'd better go buy it first thing tomorrow before it's banned.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Textbook Bobcat said:

I'm pretty sure that's the whole point.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
I can't help thinking Activision/IW have shot themselves in the foot by the whole airport scene and making the game an 18 rather than a 16 cert. They didn't need to drum up extra interest in the game, seeing as the previous MW was so successful. Yes, the airport scene is very interesting and thought-provoking, it really intrigues me and makes me want to play the game that bit eagerly, but try telling the authorities in Germany and/or Australia that, or any idiot quick-to-anger MPs.
Now they have to field furious non-gamers pleas for the game to be banned, and lose the revenue from under 18s that can't get their mitts on the game AND cop flak from under-fire gamers who are already criticised for their "violent" pursuit.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Well here it is: Proof that our government is more down to earth than Australia OR that they've all got their heads rammed firmly up their own asses. We shall see.

I don't mind either way in all honesty. I just like to see the drama llamas running free.

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
Amnestic said:
Textbook Bobcat said:

I'm pretty sure that's the whole point.
A part of the point. I think the main point is exactly what's happening - media takeover = even more sales. Even my Dad wants to play this game now.
Chaos Theory said:
if this was a film they wouldn?t give a toss.
Films have gone through most of their "bridges too far".

We need the gaming equivalent of the Exorcist, which Dante's Inferno might be able to take the mantle of.

Games and moments like these are what will cause everyone to stop caring - when all boundaries have been surpassed and broken.

LopezMeister

Apr 13, 2009
An aging out of touch politician says that video games are harming our children. Who knew? I'd be surprised if it has any effect tbh and the publicity is good for them. Even though the contraversial aspects of the game are largely for added publicity, good on IW/Activision for keeping them in anyway. Pity they're chargine an extortionate price for the game though.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Okay, so some backbencher is demanding a nationwide ban off one of the largest companies in the world, and he has less than a day to do it in?

Good luck.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Wow, really? THIS guy is going to take on Modern Warfare 2? A game whose poster can be seen every two feet billed as one of if not the most highly anticipated game of the decade" that is having a midnight release in 2 and a half hours upon typing this comment?

Anyone who is concerned about this is probably also concerned about whether theres a monster under their bed.

Epifols

Aug 30, 2008
If I ever make a video game, one aspect of it will be to find creative ways to kill people like him.

The_Bearded_One

Nov 9, 2009
A figuire of authority that is shocked by something the dont understand fully since their youth? (or not at all) thats a shocker!

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
WrongSprite said:

I literally laughed aloud at that face.

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
i hate most governments.

never heard him complaining about other games though.

Randomologist

Aug 6, 2008
For every independent thought we have, there is a government department set aside so someone can waggle their finger.

Do they really have nothing more to discuss than a video game? How about, I don't know... running the country? That is, the organisation of the state and its systems, not the minds of the people.