"Shocking" Modern Warfare 2 to be Raised in U.K. Parliament

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Terramax said:
OK, who here DIDN'T see this coming?

WrongSprite said:
http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/03/keithvaz.jpg

This, ladies and gentleman, is the awe inspiring force of nature intending to bring down MW2.
What IS it? Does it breed? Can it be killed?
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

BenzSmoke

Nov 1, 2009
I understand why they don't like MW2.

But you must remember that these games are developed for mature audiences, not children. I myself am not an adult. But I'm smart enough to tell fantasy from reality.
I consider this an insult to the intellegence of humanity that this man believes people are dumb enough to go out and shoot-up an airport "because it was in a game."

You also must remember that this game is not real. It's not a terrorist training program. It's a game! A form of entertainment, an amusement.

Kellerb

Jan 20, 2009
oh for craps sake. how can the people who govern a country be so stupid and naive. i mean, their are wars all over the middle east, and the government thinks the main threat is a bunch of pixels simulating violence.

http://cdn2.knowyourmeme.com/i/7281/original/blurb_facepalm2_20090622.jpg

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
I hate the way its always the fuckwits that dont actually play computer games of any sort are always to first to moan and complain about their content.... Microsoft should send him an xbox and a free copy of MW2 maybe then he might realise they can actually be enjoyable.

If I was in charge of things, I'd have him and all the morons like him burned at the stake for blasphemy...

Noo_Noo

Jun 4, 2008
Not only am I from the same country that Keith Vaz is an MP of, I also live in his constituency. Bummer.

Is there any way that a lowly student bum like me can meet with my MP? As a gamer I'd like to discuss this game and his problems with it with him.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Noo_Noo said:
Is there any way that a lowly student bum like me can meet with my MP? As a gamer I'd like to discuss this game and his problems with it with him.
Meet personally? I assume you could, but you'd probably have to make an appointment. His contact details [http://www.keithvaz.labour.co.uk/contact_me] probably come in handy for such a thing.

welchcore

Aug 17, 2009
I suppose the other thing is how mainstream this game is. Its gonna sell guzzillions. MW2's market is the public in general, and as such it has a responsibility as far as taste and decency.
nothing beats a good old made up fact

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
Every day I loose a little bit more faith in my government... And my faith ran out about 5 years ago so I dunno where the hell I stand now.

bonnero

Apr 15, 2009
Congratulations Mr Vaz, you're winning. Seriously guys and gals, if he didn't want a reaction he'd not have said anything. Everyone just going off on one when the ideal way to deal with it is to ignore it. He's like a child who wants something so he throws a tantrum to get attention. If people ignored him then he'd not get anywhere, like Nick Griffin. Remember that guy? He was all over the news before going on Question Time, and when he did, there was very little news about it. Dicks deflate if left alone, and this dick pops up whenever theres a chance to get his smug face on telly.

lordswift1

Sep 7, 2009
All these guys ever want is to be put in the paper and get known. Oh look its happening. they win.

i_am_reaper

Nov 10, 2009
Alrighty then ppl! It's a video game 1st of all and it's rated mature. Don't like it,then don't play it. Simple. Im tired of everyone blaming video games, movies, hell even books for crazy shit that happens in the world. Let me repeat myself it's a VIDEO GAME!!

Tony Harrison

Jan 28, 2008
Hate the government if you want, but I'd like to mention that while Vaz predictably raises the issue he doesn't speak for the government, which in actual fact supported mature games.

Mr. Simon (Culture, Media and Sport Minister): The clearest recommendation of the Byron review is that content suitable for adults should be labelled and sold as such, and that it should be an offence to sell such content to children. That is the case under current law and it will be the case when the law changes under the digital economy Bill. The game to which my right hon. Friend refers is certificate 18 and should not be sold to children. The Government's job is to ensure that what adults should be able to get is clearly labelled, and that children are not in danger of being subjected to adult content.

Mr. Tom Watson (West Bromwich, East) (Lab): I have seen the content of the video game. It is unpleasant, although no worse than in many films and books. The game carries a content warning. It is an 18-plus game, and carries the British Board of Film Classification 18-plus rating as well. Does the Minister agree that it would be better for Members of the House to support the many thousands of game designers and coders, and the many millions of game users, rather than collaborating with the Daily Mail to create moral panic over the use of video games?

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
I have come to view this as a good thing, think about it:

More publicity for gaming and more appretiation for it as a Medium.

OT: Is Modern Warfare 2 as good as everyone is making out atm?

moeller

Oct 31, 2009
i just got my game for ps3 and i cant play online and its drivin me freakin crazy. anyone else expiriencing the same??? and anyone have any solutions to it?

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
Well it's of course it's realistic--programming has reached the point that game graphics aren't going to GET much better, so it's up to the game programmers to come up with new material to keep their products new and interesting.