Shonen Characters Battle Westward in J-Stars Victory VS+

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Shonen Characters Battle Westward in J-Stars Victory VS+

<youtube=vN6dvLVmi-U>​
Bandai Namco will release the fighting game featuring characters from Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, and more in summer 2015 on PS4 and Vita.

Spike Chunsoft and Bandai Namco's shonen-inspired fighting game, J-Stars Victory VS+ will hit Western game fans next summer in 2015, the publisher has announced. The game will be available on both the PS4 and Vita.

J-Stars Victory VS released on PS3 and Vita in Japan this year. Bandai Namco did not note any major changes between the two titles other than the different consoles they are available on.

Over 30 series published in Shonen Jump Magazine are represented in the game. Characters from A promotional video for the Japanese version [http://escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/naruto] earlier this year showed off a bunch of the characters.

The game looks a lot like other fighting games based off of anime and manga series (there have been a lot of Naruto fighting games), but with characters from all of the major action-heavy series targeted at young boys. If that's something that interests you, keep an eye out for it come next summer on both PS4 and Vita.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
*googles the roster*
It's got Bobobo AND Kenshin?!

Ahem...well then, it seems that once again siding with the PS4 was the right choice. Now excuse me, I need to fetch a clean pair of pants.

reciprocal

Jun 4, 2009
I'm glad that Sony did two things that Nintendo didn't:
(1) Create a sequel to Jump Ultimate Stars
(2) Bring it to western markets

You screwed up, Nintendo. This could have been bigger than Smash.

Dec 14, 2009
reciprocal said:

Bigger than Smash? That's seems very unlikely, Smash is up there with Pokemon as a game that's guaranteed to sell for Ninty.

A couple of popular Shonen characters mixed with some more obscure ones would never reach that kind of popularity outside of Japan.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
reciprocal said:

Bigger than Smash? That's seems very unlikely, Smash is up there with Pokemon as a game that's guaranteed to sell for Ninty.

A couple of popular Shonen characters mixed with some more obscure ones would never reach that kind of popularity outside of Japan.
Can we also mention how Smash is actually... decent in the gameplay department?

Don't get me wrong, i'm hyped to finally have the opportunity to pit Kenshiro vs Jonathan Joestar vs Goku THE Goku... but Cyber Connect 2 games, ESPECIALLY their 3D open brawlers, have mechanics ranging from lackluster to terrible.

Haven't heard a good thing about this game's gameplay since it's release in JP (Burst Mode being broken, 2 specific support characters able to carry a whole match, certain characters having hitboxes that are just absurd advantage wise, and certain characters just being unviable, ect. ect. THE LIST IS NUTS "Balance patch? Maybe someday never..." -CyperConnect2).
The only thing it has going for it is it's hype as sh*t fan service... and that's about it. :T
So I don't see how Nintendo screwed up when they managed to reach the latter between iconicism and a functional product. :^)

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Characters from Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho, Gintama, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and more will battle it out in the J-Adventure Story mode to determine which character is strongest"

This has the same problem as INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US: It makes no sense. I don't know the full roster, but it seems pretty likely Goku will be the strongest by far. He can blink out entire galaxies with one attack. Is impervious to nearly any damage. Vaporize planets with a fart...

So, even though I love Kenshin, Kenshin vs Goku is basically Harley Quinn vs Superman. A human against a near god. First punch leaves the human torn in half within a literal tenth of a microsecond.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
THIS IS THE ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN

OF ULTIMATE DESTINY

GOOD GUYS, BAD GUYS AND EXPLOSIONS

AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE

AND ONLY ONE CAN SURVIVE

I WONDER WHO IT WILL BE?

OF ULTIMATE DESTINY!

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Kenjitsuka said:
"Characters from Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho, Gintama, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and more will battle it out in the J-Adventure Story mode to determine which character is strongest"

This has the same problem as INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US: It makes no sense. I don't know the full roster, but it seems pretty likely Goku will be the strongest by far. He can blink out entire galaxies with one attack. Is impervious to nearly any damage. Vaporize planets with a fart...

So, even though I love Kenshin, Kenshin vs Goku is basically Harley Quinn vs Superman. A human against a near god. First punch leaves the human torn in half within a literal tenth of a microsecond.
I agree on this one. The power levels of all of these characters are just so widely dispersed in their prime that the only way the game will make sense is if they take the characters from very specific points in their growth. Well, it's all a "wait and see" game right now so... lets wait and see how it rolls.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
JagermanXcell said:
Daystar Clarion said:
reciprocal said:

Can we also mention how Smash is actually... decent in the gameplay department?

Don't get me wrong, i'm hyped to finally have the opportunity to pit Kenshiro vs Jonathan Joestar vs Goku THE Goku... but Cyber Connect 2 games, ESPECIALLY their 3D open brawlers, have mechanics ranging from lackluster to terrible.

Haven't heard a good thing about this game's gameplay since it's release in JP (Burst Mode being broken, 2 specific support characters able to carry a whole match, certain characters having hitboxes that are just absurd advantage wise, and certain characters just being unviable, ect. ect. THE LIST IS NUTS "Balance patch? Maybe someday never..." -CyperConnect2).
The only thing it has going for it is it's hype as sh*t fan service... and that's about it. :T
So I don't see how Nintendo screwed up when they managed to reach the latter between iconicism and a functional product. :^)
Plus this really isn't a Jump Stars sequel, mostly due to them being made and published by vastly different companies (Ultimate Stars being made by Pandora's Tower dev Ganbarion and published by Nintendo themselves while J-Stars is a CC2-made, Bandai Namco-published product). And that's before we get into how Sony had very little to do with getting this Westward; this is all on Bandai since they've been bringing more obscure, anime-oriented stuff over lately like with the Jojo fighting game.

As for the game itself, hopefully they fix a lot of issues considering this is J-Stars+, but even at the base level the game is very flawed. Having these huge, empty stages is kind of a negative. I get they're trying to recreate those huge, landscape-shifting battles from the series at hand, but no one has ever made it work. Mostly because big stages like that are kinda dull and get in the way of people just slugging it out. Ultimate Stars did this so much better with the stage design

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Kenjitsuka said:
I don't know the full roster, but it seems pretty likely Goku will be the strongest by far.
Pfffft, clearly you've never read Bobobo, otherwise you'd know he's the most canonically OP character in that game.

But to your overall point..........I didn't realize that fighting games were supposed to make sense. Should we then go ahead and throw out Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, and Smash Brothers as all being shitty, nonsensical games because each of those games have numerous characters that - in theory - would absolutely annihilate anyone they fought against?

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
J-Stars
Victory
VS
+

That is not a title. I have seen titles. That's just a bunch of words, letters, acronyms and a symbol thrown together, with no coherence whatsoever, trying to be a title - and failing.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
RJ 17 said:
*googles the roster*
I recommend the DS games as well, as those ones are amazing. Funny enough, Bobobo has the most powerful moves and combos in the game if you know how to use them right. The strongest Don Patch is also pretty powerful as well.
Sadly Jelly Jiggler is relegated to an assist attack, but it's still Jelly Jiggler Magnum. :D

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Neronium said:
Funny enough, Bobobo has the most powerful moves and combos in the game if you know how to use them right.
Of course he does! None can withstand the might of the Fist of the Nosehair!

Sadly Jelly Jiggler is relegated to an assist attack, but it's still Jelly Jiggler Magnum. :D
That's always been one of my favorite parts of the series...many of Bobobo's attacks are just him beating the crap out of his friends or using them as meat-shields in blocking techniques. :3

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
josh4president said:

OF ULTIMATE DESTINY

GOOD GUYS, BAD GUYS AND EXPLOSIONS

AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE

AND ONLY ONE CAN SURVIVE

I WONDER WHO IT WILL BE?

OF ULTIMATE DESTINY!
Dear God, why did you dig up THAT fossil?

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Neronium said:
RJ 17 said:
*googles the roster*
I recommend the DS games as well, as those ones are amazing. Funny enough, Bobobo has the most powerful moves and combos in the game if you know how to use them right. The strongest Don Patch is also pretty powerful as well.
Oh yes, the DS games are rip-roaring good fun ? possibly some of the best for the platform. If you don't know Japanese, trying to play through them without at least some kind of guide is fairly difficult, but fortunately there's a mostly-complete translation patch for Ultimate Stars (primarily missing translations for the quiz).

The biggest issue is that unlocking stuff is just a teensy bit tedious ? Super Stars requires a lot of trial-and-error mashing together of comic panels, while Ultimate Stars requires amassing large numbers of collectable gems. It's not so bad, though.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Neronium said:
Funny enough, Bobobo has the most powerful moves and combos in the game if you know how to use them right.

That's always been one of my favorite parts of the series...many of Bobobo's attacks are just him beating the crap out of his friends or using them as meat-shields in blocking techniques. :3
So glad theres another Bobobo fan on here. Sad Viz gave it the same love as Nick gave Invader Zim.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
RaikuFA said:
RJ 17 said:
Neronium said:

So glad theres another Bobobo fan on here. Sad Viz gave it the same love as Nick gave Invader Zim.
I say this with absolutely no exaggeration: Bobobo is the single funniest thing I've ever experienced.

And now for some clips from the manga:

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
RaikuFA said:
I'm upset that the Anime was never finished in itself. It literally ended right before the last 2 major arcs. What makes me even sader is I can't find places to read them, nor have people ever translated the second Bobobo series: Shinzetsu (True Theory) Bobobo. T^T

Risingblade said:
Bobobo <3

Only reason I'm getting this game .-.
Wait...there are other reasons people would get a Jump game? :3