Status
Not open for further replies.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Yes. Cancelling the pipeline is still a good move.
We must never forgive Native Americans for the crime of existing, and must make sure we are constantly carrying out haphazard industrial projects around the open air prisons we setup for them so we can slowly poison them to death. That’s Manifest Destiny baybee.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
This isn't directly related to the story, but I wanted to apologize for some posts I made earlier in the thread. The early reports said the shooter was white, and I went with that to make a point about how a white mass shooter was taken in wounded, while plenty of African-Americans have not been so lucky despite committing far less heinous offenses that didn't warrant deadly force.

However, it seems the shooter was Arabic, not white. While I won't take the blame for following early reports on the race, I should have just not said anything about it until it was confirmed after the fact (preferably with an actual identification, like we got).

OK, back to our usual program of "What the fuck, gun laws?"

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
However, it seems the shooter was Arabic, not white. While I won't take the blame for following early reports on the race, I should have just not said anything about it until it was confirmed after the fact (preferably with an actual identification, like we got).

Yeah, that isn't going to fly with some people.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
This isn't directly related to the story, but I wanted to apologize for some posts I made earlier in the thread. The early reports said the shooter was white, and I went with that to make a point about how a white mass shooter was taken in wounded, while plenty of African-Americans have not been so lucky despite committing far less heinous offenses that didn't warrant deadly force.

OK, back to our usual program of "What the fuck, gun laws?"
Don't worry, you're not the numerous people on twitter still trying to justify their statements by claiming the Killer now counts as White or had adopted "White Culture" or something because of his actions being somehow reflective of supposed "White culture".

Hell you apologising means you're head and shoulders above the people still stuck in their narrative.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Isn’t Tariq like hilariously racist and conservative? This is like bringing up Farrakhan but with a dude even less people know.
I've no idea, I'd never heard of the man. It's just something that came by my attention since the incident's made international headlines.

But as far as I can tell, the shooter would be considered "white" in the US sense since Arabs are grouped under the US census. Also, as far as I can tell, "whiteness" is such an elastic term that it has whatever meaning people want it to mean, this being a case in point.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I've no idea, I'd never heard of the man. It's just something that came by my attention since the incident's made international headlines.

But as far as I can tell, the shooter would be considered "white" in the US sense since Arabs are grouped under the US census. Also, as far as I can tell, "whiteness" is such an elastic term that it has whatever meaning people want it to mean, this being a case in point.
Dude could be any bulky balding white dude in America, but we can't call him a white dude because of things the cops couldn't possibly know in the moment?

This what I mean when I say "white" isn't an ethnicity.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah I mean I'm not in favor of banning guns. But I feel like the restrictions should probably be much tighter.

Then again the argument can be made that a good person could turn bad at any point after long since getting a weapon, so how can you protect against that? I don't know the answer, but we could at least start with tighter gun control and then see if it helps any. right?
Not a bad idea. A lot of mass shooters (I think about half, not sure), have serious warning signs beforehand, people often report it, talk to the police, and nothing gets done. Usually a history of violence, especially domestic violence.

If people in the US were to take violence, especially domestic violence, more seriously, there'd be less mass shootings, and less other violence. Consistently not a priority, though.

(People outside the US often don't consider it a priorit eithery, and doing so would obviously help with violence, if not mass shootings due to less of them)

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Dude could be any bulky balding white dude in America, but we can't call him a white dude because of things the cops couldn't possibly know in the moment?

I mean the problem with that argument is there was a guy taken into custardy for nearly killing a kid and attacking multiple police officers recently. The guy was black.

In this case no looking white probably didn't stop him getting shot.

Literally shouting "I'm coming out, I'm naked" and walking out hands raised in his underwear to surrender himself likely made it so they saw now reason to have to shoot.

There is an argument for more Taser rifles or tasers in use and teaching police to go for the taser first but sometimes guns will be needed and people will be shot to try and make it so they don't harm others

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
He was white, from reports I've read. While I'm not mad that the cops didn't shoot him, I find it to be a bit of a double standard that someone who shot and killed 10 people (as of now), at least one of which is a cop, manages to be wounded and apprehended, when compared to, say, an African-American man getting shot after being stopped by a policeman for not having a light on his bike, then grabbing the officer's flashlight in an ensuing struggle.
Bit late and maybe this got pointed out, but it sounds like he was an active shooter by the time the police even arrived. They're too quick to kill people generally, but not sure they had a chance to be slow on this one

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland

Sami Zayn, real name Remi Sebei, gave an interesting interview on Blindboy Boatclub's podcast about white privilege. Sami is Syrian but with light skin, red hair and a name that doesn't sound too scary. His parents less so. Other wrestlers he travels with also less so. Oddly enough he faces less scrutiny when traveling than his parents or wrestlers like Mustafa Ali.

Now this is all anecdotes obviously but I want to ask a question.

What race is this man?

He's not white, Syrian isn't a race, but apparently it precludes him from being white despite us knowing nothing about his genealogy? So what race is he? If one of his parents happens to be white is he white? "half white"? How many generations would it take to breed the brown out of his line or is it always there? Do any of his descendants get to be white? Is race maybe bullshit? What's a white person? European descent? I mean most of us that aren't British only became "white" fairly recently and even then a lot of Brits still aren’t super on board with that. What's a black person? How many races are there?

Edit : clarifying that that was aimed at the thread in general, not you personally

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
He's not white, Syrian isn't a race, but apparently it precludes him from being white despite us knowing nothing about his genealogy? So what race is he? If one of his parents happens to be white is he white? "half white"? How many generations would it take to breed the brown out of his line or is it always there? Do any of his descendants get to be white? Is race maybe bullshit? What's a white person? European descent? I mean most of us that aren't British only became "white" fairly recently and even then a lot of Brits still aren’t super on board with that. What's a black person? How many races are there?
Race is a social construct. So "white" is a social construct.

Assuming a simple model of a society where a group of light skinned people want to exclude others, "white" defines whatever groups they want to include as part of their little privilege club.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Race is a social construct. So "white" is a social construct.

Assuming a simple model of a society where a group of light skinned people want to exclude others, "white" defines whatever groups they want to include as part of their little privilege club.
I was kind of hoping someone who believes this man can't be white would answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.