Not open for further replies.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Wasn't Colorado one of the first places to legalize the weed? Maybe that attracted a disproportionate number of people with bad motivations?

Also you guys misspell Supers.
Nah, because they had that one theater shooting way before they got weed.
When i think of substances that make people aggresive, i think of the dreaded Devil's Lettuce.

OTOH Colorado(was it Colorado?) did depenalize ALL drugs recently, but i don't think that was the reason here.
I like the term "jazz cabbage" myself.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Apparently the shooter was a fellow by the name of Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa. Clearly some arabic heritage, so that is obviously going to be great for any arab-american citizens.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I think sarcasm died the day comedians said yes absolutely Donald Trump should run for president, what's the worst that could happen, its a great idea!
I mean Biden has barely been in place a couple months and we have illegals in cages, we've cancelled a huge pipeline project that would provide tax revenue and thousands of jobs to americans, bombed Syria again, and the dude can't walk up the stairs in a stiff breeze.

I dunno Biden seems to somehow be sending us further backwards than people claim Trump did. But biden will get a pass because.....he uh....put a black lady as VP?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I mean Biden has barely been in place a couple months and we have illegals in cages, we've cancelled a huge pipeline project that would provide tax revenue and thousands of jobs to americans, bombed Syria again, and the dude can't walk up the stairs in a stiff breeze.

I dunno Biden seems to somehow be sending us further backwards than people claim Trump did. But biden will get a pass because.....he uh....put a black lady as VP?
Well he'll get a pass because he believes the federal government will exist and like isn't such a bold face liar. Trump still hasn't admitted kids are in cages, that's still fake news.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Oh thank god. I was like..."fuck it's 2021, sarcasm or Qanon is a thin line."

On a side note

White House staffers asked to resign, work remotely after revealing past marijuana use

WTF Joe?
It’s the White House, in so much as I believe in marijuana legalisation I accept that some areas of employment - high government positions, the military and law enforcement as examples - are going to have policies limiting if not prohibiting drug use. Currently (that I’m aware) marijuana counts as an illicit drug so it’s covered under the most basic of drug policies, if it gets legalised then there will be separate clauses.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Jumping in early to try and establish a narrative and or just taking twitter idiots at their word and not doing proper reporting because being first with the identity of the shooter gives more clicks than taking the time to be right sometimes.

Gotta try to justify those biases and appease the Chinese shareholders who very much would like you to know how oppressive and racist America is unlike the glorious paradise of the Peoples Republic of China, free from such inequalities and oppression.
You have the weirdest fetish.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I just did a quick seance and Walter Scott said you're wrong. There was a guy behind him, George something, but I couldn't hear him over Scott being shot in the back.

The only thing that keeps the police honest is being recorded and held to account -- and they should absolutely have no problem with that. They should implement a new smart-link system where the gun only works if the body cam is on. Bet they'd remember to turn them on then.
I think there was some trials of camera on the guns themselves. However, there've been police filmed murdering people and getting away with it, so not sure how much that would help. Of course, it means bystanders don't have to film it and get locked up on trumped on charges and get rat poison in their food by some strange coincidence.

Reactions: MrCalavera

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Don't forget when somebody testifies against a cop randomly murdering and then ends up dieting in a drug trade/robbery gone wrong while there's no drugs and nothing stolen.

5 points if you guess which time I'm referring to

Reactions: Revnak

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
we've cancelled a huge pipeline project that would provide tax revenue and thousands of jobs to americans
He's not funnelling additional billions of dollars into propping up an ecologically ruinous, dying fossil fuel industry. In order to artificially create a relatively small number of short-term jobs.

Good.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
He's not funnelling additional billions of dollars into propping up an ecologically ruinous, dying fossil fuel industry. In order to artificially create a relatively small number of short-term jobs.

Good.
Instead he is giving billions to foreign countries while barely giving his own citizens the relief aid they need to get through the economic bullshit that the government caused over the past year.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Instead he is giving billions to foreign countries while barely giving his own citizens the relief aid they need to get through the economic bullshit that the government caused over the past year.
Yes. Cancelling the pipeline is still a good move.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
So have I and I am a white dude.
Ditto. Used to happen somewhat frequently when I was in college, got less common after about 30.

Every few months during my college days I'd get pulled over, they'd take a super long time after they took my license/insurance/registration, roughly half the time backup would show up (3 times said backup was a K9 unit), and after a total of about half an hour they'd return my documents and tell me to "be safe out there" or similar. No explanation given. That was back when I drove a red 2 seat Geo Metro convertible. It sounded like a swarm of angry bees that got angrier as you went faster. Speedometer stopped at 85, taking the car over 70 was a very bad idea that made it make noises car engines aren't supposed to make.

I'd just assumed that they were on the lookout for someone whose description I also met.

Had a friend get pulled over because he was driving in the wrong part of Baltimore and it was assumed by the police that a bunch of well dressed white guys driving in that part of town at that time were either looking to score drugs or looking to deal drugs. They were just lost, they'd made a wrong turn and this was before you could get good directions and GPS from your phone.

Being a road worker is a more physically dangerous job than being a cop.
This would not surprise me. Cars are by orders of magnitude the most dangerous thing most people deal with on a daily basis, and road workers have to deal with at least hundreds of them, at a place where there's a sudden change in traffic flow every day as part of their job. While also working with equipment that is dangerous in and of itself.

Personally I think the body cam should be on 100% of the time the officer is on duty. And any attempt to cover the camera should result in immediate firing.
This. They are public servants in the course of their job - they should be as transparent as possible at all times. The footage of any given incident should also be accessible by the public on request.

So I'm confused, I've seen some outlets report that the shooter was white, and others than he's middle eastern. I know his name is Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa, or at least that's what reported, but that's just a name and no indication of nationality.
And he seems to have been born in the States.
Article linked a few posts before you suggests he was Syrian and born in Syria. He was reported as white because of course he was - he was a mass shooter, therefore he needs to be a white guy and reporting first gets you more clicks that reporting correctly. That's the "correct" story to tell unless and until proven wrong.

The problem? I'd be curious to know how many sign up to become a cop to truly uphold the law versus those chasing a power trip, the feeling of being above the law they'd pretend to uphold. I'm reminded of the Stanford Prison experiment. In a nutshell, a psychological experiment wherein students were assigned roles as either prison guards or inmates, and even in the clear simulation, the perception of power by the pseudo-guards led to the abuse of said power to the point the experiment had to be abruptly ended. Goes to show how easily manipulated, malleable and corruptible a human can be, particularly when they stand to gain de facto dominance over another person or group. Now we have these people out there whose literal, actual JOB it is to wield such power, and those same people come from a society that has traditionally marginalized minorities, those whose basest crime will always be not being white.
Better read up on criticism of Stanford Prison Experiment - there's a lot to suggest it's not as revelatory (or even demonstrative of anything) as has been suggested. For example https://www.gwern.net/docs/psychology/2019-letexier.pdf . Specifically, there's evidence to suggest that the guards knew what Zimbardo was going for and were trained to create that result.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
It's not the price tag or limited resources that is stopping that. The ruling class would just rather people suffer than set the precedent of the government ever providing adequate relief or successfully managing a crisis. Though there are certainly reasons to oppose funding genocide by Saudi Arabia or apartheid by Israel and so forth, foreign aid is far from why we can't have nice things. What we have today is pretend scarcity to enable pretend pragmatism. Adequate COVID aid would shatter that illusion to the extent it isn't shattered already.

Status
Not open for further replies.