Short games!

simo9352

Jan 23, 2008
I know a lot of you like games that run for hours 60+ maybe?
But as a married mortgaged male I really appreciate games that are a bit shorter 12 hours or less is fine. As I find I have little spare time so like the story's to be too the point the action thick and fast.
I wonder how many more gamers have too juggle a family life too, and appreciate the likes of BioShock, call of duty 4 and Assassins Creed. for their shortness.

Any hoo just a thought!

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Short games can be great fun despite, or even because of, their length. Portal for example.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
My dislike of Short Games is as follows...

They still charge me 59.99 for them.

Now if they charged me $20 for a 5 to 10 hour game, I'd be a LOT more forgiving.

simo9352

Jan 23, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:

Now if they charged me $20 for a 5 to 10 hour game, I'd be a LOT more forgiving.
Well that's true. But if it were good enough you might play it through several times maybe?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
If the game is good enough yeah, I don't care. Drakes Fortune, ZOE2, Timesplitters 3, Bioshock and Mass Effect (discounting side quests) are great for replay value despite their shorter running times. Besides, most games are 10-20 hours, not 60, its only when you get under 10 that you start to make people wary.

Zombie_King

May 26, 2008
simo9352 said:
PedroSteckecilo said:

Well that's true. But if it were good enough you might play it through several times maybe?
Both valid points. I'm not married, and I still have an hour or two (at least) every night to play games. But...may I be the first to introduce LOGIC? OK, Simo, this is my theory on time and video games put together: Let's say you get a fairly long game...perhaps 30 hours (it's what I consider long, not you), and you, of course, don't have 30 hours STRAIGHT to dedicate to it, but, you do one mission....maybe, an hour. Then you put the controller down and go away. You pick it up again tomorrow. I'm just saying, you're always gonna have some short time, and cumulatively, it adds up. But honestly, why would you WANT a short game??? You're paying roughly the same amount of a short or long game, and if you can't really NEED to finish games so badly that it's a high for you. Whatever, that's my two cents.

wewontdie11

May 28, 2008
With the issue of time I'm not especially concerned with quantity as I am with quality, I mean I would much rather pay full price for a game that was 5 hours long but was very enjoyable, than a 40 hour colonoscopy disguised in disc form.

Portals is defiantly the best example of this by far, as at the end of that game I felt like I really got my moneys worth just for that, not including the rest of the Orange Box.

But I also think its important for shorter games in particular to have some kind of replay value if they are something like 5 hours long though.

UpInSmoke

May 14, 2008
Many of today's games include a "save" feature that allows you store your progress and resume the game at a later date without starting over. Crazy, I know.

I think your problem might be related to your attention span, not your hectic life.

Do you prefer picture books over novels too?

Kehan Wann

May 22, 2008
i dont like short games all that much but that could be because i am still in school and have nothing better to do. but i bet if i actually were to find a relationship things would change.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
There are a lot of great indie games out there. These are free to download and are basically Metroidvania without the combat. They're really fun actually, like solving a crossword puzzle.

http://nifflas.ni2.se/index.php?main=02Knytt_Stories

Just try one, trust me.

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
Well, if you're going for short, I'd recommend "You Have To Burn The Rope".

Anyway, Zombie_King made a good point. Why would you want a short game, when you're still going to have the same amount of time to play it? If you only have an hour or two to dedicate to gaming per night, then wouldn't you get a lot more enjoyment out of a 60+ hour game, seeing as you would get about a month's worth of playtime?

Hell, Persona 3 is easily over 60 hours long, and every hour of that game was awesome.