Should a good partner know their girlfriend's menstrual cycle?

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Hiya escapists.

I'm slightly bored today, so how about some light hearted relationship-discussion?

It's simple, really: should a good partner find out about their girfriend's menstrual cycle, so that they can adjust their behaviour to where their girlfriend is in the cycle at the moment?

For example, I've read that women prefer more generically masculine men when they are ovulating, so during this time, the partner could change their bahaviour to be a little more wild and reckless.
It would also be good if you are trying to avoid getting pregnant. The guy could try not to make sexual advances during and right before ovulation, to decrease the risk.

What do you people think?

Hisshiss

Aug 10, 2010
For sure, its a major part of a womans social and sexual life, and can do both of you alot of good if its well known.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
plus it would be helpful to know when she is going to be all agro over nothing :)

Dec 14, 2009
What is this...

I do-I... *BOOM!*

OT: Nope, not really, been with my fiancee for 7 years, I just know to be as sarcastic as I usually am.

And that's really hard.

gaiaquasar

Oct 5, 2010
It is absolutely a part of any committed relationship. I know my wife's schedule; I even know the schedule for one of our friends. I wouldn't say it affects my overall behavior, though it helps to know when she/they might need a little extra sensitivity or less selfishness. I never thought about trying to go agro and turn it to my advantage, though! An interesting thought...

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
It helps but my gf tells me anyway. I've always found it weird that people can be such fucking children about bodily functions as if they are somehow evil and subhuman. Just thinking about it is making me mad.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
I dont change my behaviour ever. I dont notice any major changes in behaviour from my gf in "that time of the month" so it´s all cool. As for avoiding pregnancy...the pill usually gets the job done, so no worries.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
It would be pretty difficult to not figure it out after a few months in a 'normal' (as if there's any such thing!) adult relationship, though if you're asking whether a guy should activly try to find out then... yeah, I suppose? I've never really given it much thought, but it just seems like the sort of thing you should do; know each other like that.

If you're trying to avoid getting pregnant though, humanity's made a few advances since 'try to avoid ovulation'.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Well, you kind of tune in to it after a while, I mean, it's hard not to notice.
For example, I recently started dating my GF and in January I noticed that her period was right around the 17th. So I figured that Valentine's day would be less than stellar and prepared for it. But I'll have to remember the masculine thing, I had also read it but had forgotten.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
You don't use capital letters after colons.

OT: Sure, why not? I'm sure you could guess after a while.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Hosker said:

This comment is very misleading :p

Anyhow, it probably wouldn't hurt. It could help you with the more spontaneous passion moments, so you don't get all worked up just to find out the red river flows.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Hosker said:

This comment is very misleading :p

Anyhow, it probably wouldn't hurt. It could help you with the more spontaneous passion moments, so you don't get all worked up just to find out the red river flows.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
Yes you should, for any number of reasons. I don't think I ever dated a girl who turned into a raving ***** when she had her period, or just before, unless she was a ***** anyway, so I'm not sure if this is important, but there certainly are well-established changes of which to be aware:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/science/22tier.html

But honestly I think that any partner in a relationship should try to be aware of anything that will affect the other half. It's just one way to show that you actually care...

Rekrul

Nov 24, 2010
No need for me to go asking, I get told when it's coming around, and you sort of tell anyway, my gf gets hornier at that time =/

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Hahaha!

Umm, depends if the Girl is a complete asshole while on her period, if so, then yes for your sake.

It really doesn't bother me if someone knows or not, it's not a plesant 5 days so there's no need to go shouting off about it. I'll just mention it if it gets in the way of something like sex.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Hosker said:
Curses. It seems I have made a grammatical mistake. Sort of disappointing to hear, really. I think it looks so much neater with a capital letter.