Should a good partner know their girlfriend's menstrual cycle?

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Women do not think it's neccessary. Men are aware that without it life can be increasingly difficult.

A) You know when you have to lay low for a week and just sit quietly.

B) I usualy try to bring her chocolate ice cream when she is in such mood. Cheers her up and makes her happy!

Although some time ago she was in one of the "Moods" and screamed bloody murder at me "You just say yes because you know it's THE week don't you!?". I honestly did not knew what to say.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
It can't hurt knowing your partners cycles. But they aren't going to stay on their set schedules, so don't be surprised if they jump track.

Jonluw said:
For example, I've read that women prefer more generically masculine men when they are ovulating, so during this time, the partner could change their bahaviour to be a little more wild and reckless.
The motives for WHY you would want to keep track of your partners cycles are poor though. You should be you, and never not put up a front of fakeness. Your partner may or may not have these masculine desires- but that's up to you to determine from time spent with her- not a website. further, if she wanted to be with someone more masculine than you think you are, then she wouldn't be with you.

In short; just be yourself. Don't put up a front. Ever. :)

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Firia said:
It can't hurt knowing your partners cycles. But they aren't going to stay on their set schedules, so don't be surprised if they jump track.

Jonluw said:
For example, I've read that women prefer more generically masculine men when they are ovulating, so during this time, the partner could change their bahaviour to be a little more wild and reckless.
The motives for WHY you would want to keep track of your partners cycles are poor though.
That there isn't my particular motivation for knowing a partner's menstrual cycle. I was just using it as an example. Hell, I don't even have a girlfriend; and probably won't in the foreseeable future. I just don't think I'm very well suited for relationships.
You should be you, and never not put up a front of fakeness. Your partner may or may not have these masculine desires- but that's up to you to determine from time spent with her- not a website.
Actually, I didn't read about that on a website. It was in an issue of science illustrated. There had been a study that showed that women's preferences in men changed during their menstrual cycle. More specifically, they would prefer burly masculine men when they were fertile, and when they weren't as fertile they were more attracted to sensitive caring men that would make good fathers.
As a result, they were more likely to cheat on their partners when they were ovulating.

There is much room for variation within a personality, and what I'm saying is that bringing out your masculine side when your girlfriend is ovulating, and your more sensitive caring side when she's "infertile" might very well do a lot to keep your chemistry good.
Of course, a lot of this is the doing of hormones and pheromones, so I'm not sure you would even have to make an effort to do these changes. For all I know, you might do it subconsciously.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
I think it's rather insulting to say that a man should have to make himself more masculine to please a woman during her time of the month. I can tell you that I love my boyfriend all month round just the way he is, without any alterations in appearance or otherwise. In your feminist brain you know it's wrong to expect women to alter their appearance/behaviour to please men, so why would it be acceptable the other way around?

As for adjusting behaviour... I mean, all you have to do to appease a menstruating woman (or me at least) is not be a jerk. If you have to specifically tell yourself not to be a jerk during that week then the main problem isn't the woman's hormones, but the fact that you're a jerk for the other 3/4s of the month.

I think it's sort of unavoidable for sexual or romantic partners to figure out your menstrual cycle, considering there's always gonna be one recurring week where you refuse sex. If a friend or stranger took the time to figure it out though, I'd be pretty freaked out and feel my privacy had been invaded. It's just creepy.

tthor said:
I think it's important to note that not all women get all the symptoms of PMS. Not everyone gets cramps, not everyone gets bloated, and not everyone becomes emotional or irrational, though many do.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Redox Attraction said:
Looking at this thread, I'm not entirely sure I want a girlfriend any more...
Haha, nice.

OT: No, not really. Although, my ex liked to talk about it all the time... not sparing the details. I'd be more inclined to care about it if she wasn't psycho 24-fucking-7 -__-

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
A man should know ALL of his female friends Menstural Cycle, not just his girlfriend. It can help avoid alot of hassle.

Exile714

Feb 11, 2009
Two reasons why you shouldn't ask about her cycle:

1) Women get hormonal at any time, not just before and during her period. You should always be on your guard, though it's more common at that time of the month.

2) Some women, not all, use their period as an excuse to act worse and get away with it. Yes, they're feeling hormonal and emotional, but it's no excuse for going ballistic for 9 days out of every 28. If your girl knows that you know when she's on, it can act like an excuse to treat you like dirt. Blowouts are going to happen, but women will make an effort to curb them somewhat when they don't have it in the back of their minds that it's excusable.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Yes. Because then you know when to DUCK TO FUCKING COVER. Seriously just...build a panic room in the basement for that time. Be extra nice and do whatever she says (or she'll rip your head off)
*hides*

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Well my boyfriend knows when I'm taking the white pills, it's my time of the month.
I think he's determined to irritate me and piss me off more when I am though.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Redox Attraction said:
Looking at this thread, I'm not entirely sure I want a girlfriend any more...
Ya know what, I'm inclined to agree with you.

If you're changing the way you act because your other half is riding the cotton pony, I think you may need to ask yourself why...and then tell me because I don't get it.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Jonluw said:
Firia said:

Jonluw said:
The motives for WHY you would want to keep track of your partners cycles are poor though.
That there isn't my particular motivation for knowing a partner's menstrual cycle. I was just using it as an example. Hell, I don't even have a girlfriend; and probably won't in the foreseeable future. I just don't think I'm very well suited for relationships.
You should be you, and never not put up a front of fakeness. Your partner may or may not have these masculine desires- but that's up to you to determine from time spent with her- not a website.
Actually, I didn't read about that on a website. It was in an issue of science illustrated. There had been a study that showed that women's preferences in men changed during their menstrual cycle. More specifically, they would prefer burly masculine men when they were fertile, and when they weren't as fertile they were more attracted to sensitive caring men that would make good fathers.
As a result, they were more likely to cheat on their partners when they were ovulating.

There is much room for variation within a personality, and what I'm saying is that bringing out your masculine side when your girlfriend is ovulating, and your more sensitive caring side when she's "infertile" might very well do a lot to keep your chemistry good.
Of course, a lot of this is the doing of hormones and pheromones, so I'm not sure you would even have to make an effort to do these changes. For all I know, you might do it subconsciously.
Magazine, website, ancient chinese myth- it doesn't matter. You shouldn't change who you are because you feel it will appeal to your (hypothetical) girlfriend. This is coming from a girl, Not a magazine. I know we all put a lot of stock in science these days, but I like to think I know a thing or two about what a girl wants.

ham and red bull

Dec 2, 2010
Maybe it's because I was mostly raised by a single mother, but how could you not know?
It's pretty obivous.

It's still pretty usefull, since it helps you figure out when your girlfriend is just being a *****, or her hormones are acting up and she's just having a rough time. Duck and cover.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Firia said:
Jonluw said:
Firia said:

Jonluw said:

Magazine, website, ancient chinese myth- it doesn't matter. You shouldn't change who you are because you feel it will appeal to your (hypothetical) girlfriend. This is coming from a girl, Not a magazine. I know we all put a lot of stock in science these days, but I like to think I know a thing or two about what a girl wants.
Like I said: it has nothing to do with changing who you are.
Are you saying that if you see you partner sitting on their bed, crying, you would not be acting nice and try to comfort them?
Would you really claim that I am changing who I am if I do that?

Jay Knowles

Aug 24, 2010
i tried to memorize my girlfriends menstural cycle, but failed after several months of inconsistancy... now i just look out for when she gets pissed over nothing... like when she wouldn't talk to me for two days because i put a poster up in my room of a half naked girl that my (female) flatmate gave to me... i could bang on about that but everyone here knows the score.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Jonluw said:
Firia said:
Jonluw said:
Firia said:

Jonluw said:

Are you saying that if you see you partner sitting on their bed, crying, you would not be acting nice and try to comfort them?
Sorry, you keep using the words like "acting," inferring that you're not being yourself. You're acting like something, if you're acting. If your partner is crying, you should be yourself. One hopes you're a caring and compassionate person.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Firia said:
Jonluw said:
Firia said:
Jonluw said:
Firia said:

Jonluw said:

Sorry, you keep using the words like "acting," inferring that you're not being yourself. You're acting like something, if you're acting. If your partner is crying, you should be yourself. One hopes you're a caring and compassionate person.
The point I'm trying to make is that you can be caring and sensitive when the situation calls for it, and still protect your partner if they're being robbed without changing who you are.
There is more than one side to who a person is.

Edit: I'm not a very caring or compassionate person by the way. I'm not very good with emotions.