Should a good partner know their girlfriend's menstrual cycle?

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
yeah no

I know as a lady, I do not want other people knowing about it. especially my significant other.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
rokkolpo said:
Depends...do you want to be surprised by blood while doing it?
Aaargh, you just reminded me of a movie we watched in elementary school where this 13 year old girl had had sex with her boyfriend while on her period, and she came walking into the room crying, completely naked with her thighs covered in blood...
*rocks back and forth in fetal position*

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
as has already been stated: yes, a million times yes. unless your lady is weird about people knowing that, for some reason. but, typically, it's handy to know. i always used to remind my ex to drink lots of water (more than usual) right before her period so her cramps wouldn't be as bad. 'tis just a sensible thing to do.

THAC0

Aug 12, 2009
Yeah, its good to know. It helps because if you know, then you don't have to worry about accidentally touching her when she is unclean and you can build a little house for her to stay in in the back yard till its over.

i kid. I always had a pretty good idea of my gfs cycles.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
In a good relationship, it shouldn't require effort on anyone's part to learn a females menstrual cycle.

Seriously, not that hard.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
My girlfriend and I know her cycle like the back of our hands. Its good to talk about these things because it helps me get prepared for any mood shit that she goes through on her period.

Plus, I'm mature and don't go all like "Icky! Blood comes out of you once a month!?!?!", so it makes it easier to talk about.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
It's quite a big part of a Woman's life (Them waking up as a kid and screaming because their bed sheet's suddently turned red-ish brown) so yes.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
Jonluw said:
Hosker said:
You don't use capital letters after colons.
Curses. It seems I have made a grammatical mistake. Sort of disappointing to hear, really. I think it looks so much neater with a capital letter.
I just did exactly the same mistake in my very post! Oh, the irony! But it is an easy mistake as in American-English it's optional, so you will see a lot of people over the internet doing it.

WhiteandNeardy99

Jun 8, 2010
In my opinion no because if they are anything like my girlfriend it is hugely varying and impossible to predict, with her often being weeks out (has caused more than one scare). However I do think a good partner should be able to pick up on it when she does come on, without having to be told, and adjust their behaviour appropriately, ie. more sympathetic and understanding.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Hosker said:
Jonluw said:
Hosker said:
Curses. It seems I have made a grammatical mistake. Sort of disappointing to hear, really. I think it looks so much neater with a capital letter.
I just did exactly the same mistake in my very post! Oh, the irony! But it is an easy mistake as in American-English it's optional, so you will see a lot of people over the internet doing it.
"...in American English a colon may be followed either by a capital letter or by a lower-case letter, depending on usage: where direct speech follows, a capital letter is used.."
-wikipedia

It seems that is only the case when the colon is followed by direct speech.
No matter. I shall use lower case letters after colons from now on.

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
What? No. I wouldn't ask any guy I dated to know my menstrual cycle. Quite frankly it'd weird me out a little if he knew.

A good partner should be able to pick up on atmosphere though. Sometimes it's nice to get a hug after a crappy day without having to say anything.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
yup, for the most part.
A woman's menstrual cycle greatly affects their hormones. And hormones greatly affect how people think and act.

The obvious example, is that around the time of a woman's period, their hormone level peeks; this causes them to become highly emotional, and as such, irrational in nature (sorry ladies, just being honest).

Another example of how this affects women is that during different points in their menstrual cycle, a woman will be more attracted to different types of men; so at one point during the month, a woman would probably be most attracted to sensitive and caring men, men who would make good fathers; and later that month, they will probably be most attracted to attractive, muscular manly men.

Menstrual cycle also greatly affects a woman's libido, which is never a bad thing to be aware of~

I understand that men also have a 28-day hormonal cycle similar to women, though I don't know much about it, (I would assume its effects might be similar to the hormonal effects on women)

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
Redox Attraction said:
Looking at this thread, I'm not entirely sure I want a girlfriend any more...
Ninja´d.

OT: No. No. No no no no. No.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Seriously, like, i don´t even...

no.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
WhiteandNeardy99 said:
In my opinion no because if they are anything like my girlfriend it is hugely varying and impossible to predict, with her often being weeks out (has caused more than one scare).
This is where I sit, to an extent (normally within a predictable range, with an occasional cycle freakout becuase apparently my ovaries think I need a little excitement that month.) I do keep my guy posted on the start dates- I also find it interesting that I'm apparently the only female (so far) who prefers doing that.

As for the idea that you can 'be more sensitive/masculine when appropriate'... that's kinda crazy to me. If youf GF's cycle is affecting her enough that you need to adjust your behavior around it, she should probably be see a doctor. That's not normal.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
Jonluw said:
Hosker said:
Jonluw said:
Hosker said:
"...in American English a colon may be followed either by a capital letter or by a lower-case letter, depending on usage: where direct speech follows, a capital letter is used.."
-wikipedia

It seems that is only the case when the colon is followed by direct speech.
No matter. I shall use lower case letters after colons from now on.
And don't forget proper nouns and "I". They are exceptions also.