Should Eleven Year-Olds Play on Xbox Live?

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Should Eleven Year-Olds Play on Xbox Live?

Wired asks the important question every parent has when their children start gaming: Should they play online?

Wired's Chris Anderson has a tough role as a gaming parent. In a recent GeekDad blog [http://blog.wired.com/geekdad/2008/08/am-i-bad-dad-fo.html], he recounts the story of his eleven year-old child's first interaction with online games, specifically Halo 3 on Xbox Live.

"Not five minutes into my 11-year-old's first Xbox Live Halo 3 match with a headset he got called '*****'. Then 'punk' and then worse," recalled Anderson.

Before the accusations about letting his son play an M-rated title were shot, Anderson addressed the issue, stating, "I've not only played the game (start to finish) with him, but I'm IN the game (I've got a voice acting cameo). Also, a rating is a guideline to help parents use their own judgment based on what's appropriate for their own kid, not a law."

Anderson believes that by exposing his son to online gaming, he has built his own leadership skills. After all, the internet is the "school of hard knocks" in the modern world, and an adventure Anderson says could be a "good lesson in real-world survival skills, or a scarring one."

He then opened his entry for comments, resulting in various responses ranging from supportive gamer parents to the more conservative.

Andy P wrote, "As long as you're actually BEING a parent, and explaining that: Shooting other people is bad, talking to other people like a Live idiot is bad, and to always respect people when he's playing, then you're fine."

ikaruga3064 refuted, "Jeez - stop being such a lazy Dad and spend some quality time w/ your kid. The Xbox is NOT a babysitter."

Aeranlaes

Jul 27, 2008
Personally, I don't think the kids should be sheltered. I might give my own complete freedom - the Internet can serve as a simulation of the world, and could certainly aid in one's development as a person.

That said, I do understand the more conservative viewpoint. If I had child, and had a close, emotional attachment to them, and a perception of them being 'fragile,' then I'd probably want to protect them too.

wedrinkritalin

Aug 21, 2008
To an extent, as long as they aren't too annoying fine, they are just as equal as some wigga frat boy or drunken chav but some of them need to learn that 15 or so people telling them to shut up means they should do just that.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Kids should not ever be permitted online, ever. They clog up the fun the Internet is supposed to provide with their infinite spam and whiny voices over VoIP chats AND horrible spelling.

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
I'd rather not have eleven year olds playing in my games. This is more for personal reasons rather than any misplaced belief of 'Think of the Children.'

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Dunno maybe take away the headset until your comfortable enough to let him play, and be sworn at my complete strangers, on his own.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
rougeknife post=7.69562.664414 said:
I'd rather not have eleven year olds playing in my games. This is more for personal reasons rather than any misplaced belief of 'Think of the Children.'
Unfortunately there are people of ages 15 to 25 that are just as bad.

Honestly, I would have had an issue with his kid playing a game like GTA, Manhunt, or Condemned, but I have no issue with a sci-fi shooter like Halo 3. As long as he is a parent to the kid, believes his child is mature enough, and explains the game it's fine.

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
I let my kid on live at 14, but it could have easily been 13 or 15. I play the games so I know what the talk is like so I could decide when I though it was ok. Honestly he can take the smack talk better than me. I tire of it VERY fast.

I also don't tolerate it when he starts acting like the worst offenders. The 360 goes off after a 2 language warnings. (1 warning for the use of "gay" as a generic insult)

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
Jhereg42 post=7.69562.664434 said:
rougeknife post=7.69562.664414 said:
Unfortunately there are people of ages 15 to 25 that are just as bad.
Not in my country
(At least by 18. As the old Australian saying goes; Man the fuck up or get the fuck out.)

American game servers? Shitholes IMO.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Personally I never understood how companies like MS can effectively police its channels.

Sure we know that MS has provided the 'underground' channel on Live for more liberal vocabularies and behaviors. I knew that upfront and opted to join the 'casual' channel based on my own tastes and beliefs, and my very fist day on Live was an eye-opener for me as well.

Now I don't think I'm a prude. I've been known to shout an expletive when I've been ganked or fragged, but the visciouness and language directed at people playing (not the game itself) can sometimes make even a sailor cringe.

And more and more surprisingly it just more jaw dropping when you figure the offending grommit is only a tweener. Did I swear when I was a kid? Yes, on occassion, but the language seems to be more and more peppered with racial slurs, and swearing than there are actual substantive words.

Yes, I know you can report people and 'avoid' them, but if I spent time reporting blatant offenders or avoiding them in my lists, I'd spend quiet a bit fo time doing that well.

Okay, maybe I'm sounding like an old man here and out of touch with reality, but I'm just not sure what to do. If you wanna play on Live, it seems like this is just part of the accepted territory.

Does anyoen know if MS or Sony actually bans people for repetitive offending language/racial comments. They seem to have no problem cracking down on those that mod/cheat/file swapping...so you know someone is out there.

It was just last week (or was it the week before) where the hosts of X-Play even brought this subject up in there own experiences...basically commenting on how ruthless the language can be that they tend to avoid certain rooms if they can.

BioBeast

Dec 30, 2007
It's not really a matter of age. It's all about maturity. I was a mature 11 year old but I knew a lot of people my age that couldn't handle it then or even now, 3 years later.

Xbox live can get really ridiculous. Usually I don't even plug my headset in, since there isn't a reason for me to talk. When I do I encounter younger players, some of which are perfectly acceptable (I have several friends that are around 11 on xbl) but some of which that go out of control with swears. Just the other day, while playing Call of Duty 4, there was an annoying squeaker that was swearing, insulting others, etc. Thank God for the mute button.

Unfortunately you can't really say if 11 year olds should play on Xbox Live, because it all depends on the person. It reminds me of driving; while a 13 year old can be more mature and respectful of rules as an immature 16 year old, age limits allow the 16 year old to drive while the 13 year old has to wait. Age isn't a completely accurate way to rank maturity.

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
BioBeast post=7.69562.664516 said:
It's not really a matter of age. It's all about maturity. I was a mature 11 year old but I knew a lot of people my age that couldn't handle it then or even now, 3 years later.
I was a mature eleven year old...

Then my balls dropped.

Trust me mate, soon as the hormones kick in, for the first year or two you'll be thinking penis first and head last. There are mature eleven year olds, there are mature thirteen year olds, but soon as the puberty monster hits? well, lets just say there is a reason I venomously state; ?people under the age of eighteen should not be handed a Mic.?

Personally, I think half the problem here is the cesspool that is xbox live.

In the end, half the problem is that its not a lack of maturity, its a lack of being able to between when immaturity is acceptable, and when its not. A prime example is the game I?m killing time on right now; Zombie Master Source. One map, everyone is acting like an arse, the next, everyone is dead serious.

I can be immature as all hell at times, but when I need to man up, I man up. Kids just keep going on like tards, and the adults (who where no better five minuets ago) just can?t stand them. Its all about gauging the mood, when it is and isn?t acceptable to be foolish. Context is key.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Call me ignorant or stereo-typical, but I prefer to enjoy what little time for gaming I have left with mature, sensible adults. NOT sexually insecure homophobic children that all want to be the newest "Tupac" or who ever the fuck Soul boy is.

P.S:Tupac owns you.

Mistah Kurtz

Jul 6, 2008
I personally think that if xbox live is going to allow children to play then they should only allow them to play on a designated server. When signing up for your account you should enter your age and it would designate you to play with others in your age group (9-13,14-17, 18+) I think this would be a good compromise as it lets kids enjoy games while letting adults enjoy games without having to listen to children shrieking over the microphone.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
PArental blocks exist, and so does the mute button, WHY DO YOU PARENTS NOT SEE THIS! Read the god damn manual when buying a console.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Mistah Kurtz post=7.69562.664579 said:
I personally think that if xbox live is going to allow children to play then they should only allow them to play on a designated server. When signing up for your account you should enter your age and it would designate you to play with others in your age group (9-13,14-17, 18+) I think this would be a good compromise as it lets kids enjoy games while letting adults enjoy games without having to listen to children shrieking over the microphone.
The problem with that though is that people lie about their age online all the time so they can be "legally" be allowed on the service. I do it, my dad never lets me put in my real birthday.

different people mature at different rates, we all know that. Some mature right away because of a death in the family or something disasturous like that, something similar happend to me like that and I consider myself mature without having to be sad/homophobic/annoying at anyone and still enjoy life.

I also find the parents that shield their children from violent video games quite annoying. I have a friend who's older than me by a few months, ad his parents will absolutely not let him play any violent video games. He's a Nintedno-freak with all things Nintendo, and he's a very mature man, infact he just went into highschool, but it's annoying that his parents won't let him play No More Heros or possibly MadWorld (though even I'm reconsidering buying that) just because it's slightly bloodly because i know for a fact that he could handle it and can be mature about it (we have plenty of debates like this)

Some children can be mature enough for violent games, but the vast majority of the idiots just reinforces the stereotype of the sqeaky 12 year old.

I promise you when I get children, I'll let them play games when I feel that they are mature enough and won't go on dick waving constests.

panda_communist

Aug 26, 2008
kids should not play if they cannot grasp the fact that i dont care about them and the kids with the high voices it makes me go crazy

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Hey, if some guy wants to let his 11-year-old play on Xbox Live, who am I to argue? I just have to worry about my kids; I'll decide if they're ready or not to handle what Xbox Live has to offer. I'm not in the mood to try and tell someone else how to raise theirs.

trooper87

Mar 22, 2008
Amen to that, I have to deal with that kind of immaturity on Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 all the time. Even my roomate has dealt with an 11 or 12 year old on GTA IV multiplayer! Isn't that just stupid/wrong? The sad part is the kid admitted his parents didn't care what he played over the mic.