Should Final Fantasy XII get a re-release?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
5,499
0
0
Kyle Winston said:
I am for this. I really enjoyed 12, though I do understand peoples' issues with Vaan and I found him underwhelming. However, I loved the battle system, loved the story, and I enjoyed quite a few of the characters (playable, villain, and NPC).
For me, Balthier should have been the main character, not just a side party member. I felt that if Vaan was just a side character he might not have been so damn annoying. I really felt like Balthier was supposed to be a main character but someone decided Vaan would be a better player avatar why I've no clue... feels like a focus group decision. Either way it was the wrong one.
 

monkeymangler

New member
Feb 9, 2016
212
0
0
CkretAznMan said:
No, it was a bad game. Probably the worst in the entire mothership franchise.
Hard to say that conclusively. Japan 3 was pretty bad, VIII was the worst of the PS1 FF games, XIII was a nightmare. There's good competition for the top spot (VI, VII, X) and good competition for the bottom spot.
 

monkeymangler

New member
Feb 9, 2016
212
0
0
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Kyle Winston said:
I am for this. I really enjoyed 12, though I do understand peoples' issues with Vaan and I found him underwhelming. However, I loved the battle system, loved the story, and I enjoyed quite a few of the characters (playable, villain, and NPC).
For me, Balthier should have been the main character, not just a side party member. I felt that if Vaan was just a side character he might not have been so damn annoying. I really felt like Balthier was supposed to be a main character but someone decided Vaan would be a better player avatar why I've no clue... feels like a focus group decision. Either way it was the wrong one.
The main character was originally supposed to be Ashe, with Basch as the lead male. But a Japanese focus group determined that players wanted a younger more hip character and love interest, hence Vaan and Penelo.
 

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
5,499
0
0
monkeymangler said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
The main character was originally supposed to be Ashe, with Basch as the lead male. But a Japanese focus group determined that players wanted a younger more hip character and love interest, hence Vaan and Penelo.
I could have dealt with that. Hell I thought at first Reks would have been a good main character but they absolutely killed that hope. Literally. They killed one hope in FF12, they left the shitty Hope alive in FF13. This is why I don't trust Squeenix post-Sakaguchi.
 

Wrex Brogan

New member
Jan 28, 2016
803
0
0
...people are weird about Final Fantasy. It's either amazing or god awful, never seen a lot of inbetween with any of 'em.

Personally, I enjoyed Final Fantasy XII, and certainly wouldn't mind a re-release. It was a fun game, had a lot of interesting side stories (and the main story wasn't too bad, though fairly stock-standard as Final Fantasy stories go), and the characters were quite interesting and well performed. Also really liked the level design, and the 'open world fuck around' thing was great when you could bust into the level 50 areas and steal all their shit 40 levels before you should've been there.

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Kyle Winston said:
I am for this. I really enjoyed 12, though I do understand peoples' issues with Vaan and I found him underwhelming. However, I loved the battle system, loved the story, and I enjoyed quite a few of the characters (playable, villain, and NPC).
For me, Balthier should have been the main character, not just a side party member. I felt that if Vaan was just a side character he might not have been so damn annoying. I really felt like Balthier was supposed to be a main character but someone decided Vaan would be a better player avatar why I've no clue... feels like a focus group decision. Either way it was the wrong one.
I can't quite remember if it's true or not but I did see that apparently Basch was supposed to be the Protagonist instead of Vaan - Vaan was just kinda thrown in after Vagrant Story got backlash for it's older protagonists. Also why his influence in the story tends to fall off about 1/3 of the way through XII, with Balthier and Basch taking the reins instead. I've also heard that Vaan was originally designed to be older but was aged down for the same aforementioned reason.

And fun fact: Apparently Balthier was the only 'original' character in the game, with all the others having some inspiration taken from previous FF characters.
 

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
12,531
0
0
Only if it's the International Version... because it sounds like the better version of the game...

Other than that, might as well... I mean, it would get people to start asking for a PC release... :p
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 18, 2020
7,935
2,730
118
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Gender
Male
monkeymangler said:
CkretAznMan said:
No, it was a bad game. Probably the worst in the entire mothership franchise.
Hard to say that conclusively. Japan 3 was pretty bad, VIII was the worst of the PS1 FF games, XIII was a nightmare. There's good competition for the top spot (VI, VII, X) and good competition for the bottom spot.
You mean III? I have to question if you've played II, because that's the game that actively hates you in so many ways. III is punishing(especially the final dungeons/bosses with NO SAVE POINTS) but it does have a lot of good bits to it. I'd actually want to replay III again(I have the DS/Steam version) but pretty sure I will never replay II.

Though V took a lot of the good parts of III and cleaned it up, making it almost a remake in some ways, as well as not being as hard.
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,765
1,072
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
I'll say yes, if only because if I decide to play it, it would be easier to track it down on a modern console than fishing around for the PS2 version. Certainly the PS3 version allowed me to play FFX, which is the first (and so far, only) game of the series I've played.
 

Arean

Windwalker of Shaundakul
Apr 24, 2008
60
0
0
I'd love to see the International Zodiac Job System version get a "Remaster" on the PS4.

As far as I know that version ironed out a lot of the more annoying things about XII, and it never had a European release. I'd definitely get it if it was available.
 

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
724
0
0
CritialGaming said:
Lightspeaker said:
CkretAznMan said:
No, it was a bad game. Probably the worst in the entire mothership franchise.
Definitely the worst.
*AHEM* I'm just going remind you of FF13.
And I will remind you, good sir, of X-2.

Unless you're not counting the direct sequels. Then I'd just have to point you in X's direction. At least XIII let me see Snow get punched in the face by Lightning; in X, Tidus doesn't even fucking stay dead.
 

CritialGaming

New member
Mar 25, 2015
2,170
0
0
SlumlordThanatos said:
CritialGaming said:
Lightspeaker said:
CkretAznMan said:
No, it was a bad game. Probably the worst in the entire mothership franchise.
Definitely the worst.
*AHEM* I'm just going remind you of FF13.
And I will remind you, good sir, of X-2.

Unless you're not counting the direct sequels. Then I'd just have to point you in X's direction. At least XIII let me see Snow get punched in the face by Lightning; in X, Tidus doesn't even fucking stay dead.
BRO! BRO! You wanna play the sequel game bro?

Okay! I'll take you X-2 and I fucking raise your ass a 13-3 Lightning Returns! Check and MATE BRO!
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,915
0
0
YES PLEASE?!

ITS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE FINAL FANTASY GAME OF ALL TIME!!!

This intro certainly sets the mood as to why I like this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jeLgpb2qvE

Silentpony said:
Musou Tensei said:
No, it's garbage.
Basically this.

To me the only FF games worth a damn are 6 and 7. The others might as well be DBZ filler episodes for all their appeal.
You make me sad and not only you wrote off 12, but also Final Fantasy 1, 4, and 9 :(
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 18, 2020
7,935
2,730
118
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Gender
Male
SlumlordThanatos said:
in X, Tidus doesn't even fucking stay dead.
I think this was one of the big reason I couldn't be bothered to finish X-2(other then it just feeling like a massive waste of time). They finally got rid of Tidus at the end, by having sacrifice himself(though they ruined that moment by having him high five his asshole dad in the afterlife) and then suddenly, they decide to make an entire game about trying to get him back. Because the people who made X-2 apparently got the idea that people LIKE Tidus.

Then again, the creators of XIII somehow thinks that people like Lightening, so I guess madness is a requirement to work on a FF game now.
 

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
1,714
0
0
Hell to the yes, say what you want, but I thought Final Fantasy XII was a step in the right direction for the series and still feels like one of the most mature FF titles, next to Tactics and the non-FF game: Vagrant Story.

Despite it's shortcomings, the plot was intriguing enough, and the game rewarded you for exploring. I get that Vaan and Penelo suck, but Fran, Balthier, and Basch make up for it. Basch should have been the main character. The voice acting and script, was also quite decent, and not nearly as cringe-worthy as X or XIII.
 

monkeymangler

New member
Feb 9, 2016
212
0
0
CritialGaming said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
CritialGaming said:
Lightspeaker said:
CkretAznMan said:
No, it was a bad game. Probably the worst in the entire mothership franchise.
Definitely the worst.
*AHEM* I'm just going remind you of FF13.
And I will remind you, good sir, of X-2.

Unless you're not counting the direct sequels. Then I'd just have to point you in X's direction. At least XIII let me see Snow get punched in the face by Lightning; in X, Tidus doesn't even fucking stay dead.
BRO! BRO! You wanna play the sequel game bro?

Okay! I'll take you X-2 and I fucking raise your ass a 13-3 Lightning Returns! Check and MATE BRO!
Dude, Lightning Returns was waves better than XIII or XIII-2 for that matter. Also X-2 has the best combat in series history. Took everything good about ATB and made it better.
 

monkeymangler

New member
Feb 9, 2016
212
0
0
Foolery said:
Hell to the yes, say what you want, but I thought Final Fantasy XII was a step in the right direction for the series and still feels like one of the most mature FF titles, next to Tactics and the non-FF game: Vagrant Story.

Despite it's shortcomings, the plot was intriguing enough, and the game rewarded you for exploring. I get that Vaan and Penelo suck, but Fran, Balthier, and Basch make up for it. Basch should have been the main character. The voice acting and script, was also quite decent, and not nearly as cringe-worthy as X or XIII.
X had a super solid voice cast all around. Sure, people like to post the laugh scene entirely out of context to hate on the game, but everyone did a decent job, and most did great jobs.
 

monkeymangler

New member
Feb 9, 2016
212
0
0
Dalisclock said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
in X, Tidus doesn't even fucking stay dead.
I think this was one of the big reason I couldn't be bothered to finish X-2(other then it just feeling like a massive waste of time). They finally got rid of Tidus at the end, by having sacrifice himself(though they ruined that moment by having him high five his asshole dad in the afterlife) and then suddenly, they decide to make an entire game about trying to get him back. Because the people who made X-2 apparently got the idea that people LIKE Tidus.

Then again, the creators of XIII somehow thinks that people like Lightening, so I guess madness is a requirement to work on a FF game now.
It wasn't so much that people liked Tidus but that Yuna loved him and people in that world have an alarming tendency to not stay dead. Worth a shot at the very least. Plus the game gave us Paine and the best combat in series history, so I'll forgive its other transgressions.