Should I be wierded out by this "job offer"?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I recently left the US Navy and after some time off finally started looking for employment. I was a mechanical operator/technician/maintenance person with a short stint in military recruiting(and I never want to recruit ever again, which should tell you how much I enjoyed that).

So after putting my profile and resume on various employment sites while I look for more specific positions I want to pursue, I wake up this morning to find this in my inbox.

--------------
Greetings,

After viewing your profile, We feel you
may be a good candidate for a position within our company, and hereby
invite you for an on-line interview on 06/16/2015, 10 AM EST with , of the human resource department. I encourage you to read
more about the position details below.

Job Title: Administrative Executive

Organization:

Key Responsibility: Provides services by implementing administrative
systems, procedures, and policies, and monitoring administrative
projects.

Requirements: Minimum of high school Diploma

Basic Skills: Reporting Skills, Administrative Writing Skills, Microsoft
Office Skills, Managing Processes, Organization, Analyzing Information ,
Professionalism, Problem Solving, Supply Management, Inventory Control,
Verbal Communication

If you meet the minimum qualifications and would like to be considered
for the position, please follow the instructions provided below :

If the time is not convenient for you, feel free to email at
this Email address:

She will be waiting to talk to you on yahoo messenger right away.
Endeavour to get on-line ASAP. I Wish you best of Luck in the
Interview.
-----------------

Am I being paranoid or am I correct at thinking this looks like a scam? I've never heard of the company nor have I ever shown interest in an Administrative Executive position(my resume is far more tech oriented). There's also the fact that the requirements for the job seem weirdly out of whack with what the position seems to entail. Also, no hint of salary, working hours or anything else.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Its not that unusual. Someone has just done a keyword search and people don't read cvs for entry level positions.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Like albino boo said, they likely just found some keywords in your profile on one of those sites. Months ago, I went to a temp agency to get a specific job and filled out their online profile with my CNC certifications and some auto mechanic and assistant manager experience. I keep getting offers to fill out more forms to apply for being a cable technician, despite only briefly mentioning my years of DIY home improvement skills. They are likely trying to fill spots with a high turnover rate. (I've heard from some sources that they sub-contract much of their infrastructure work, and I've already had to deal with working for a semi-incompetent company, their temp agency two states over, and the outsourcing company's managers literally breathing down my neck.)

My guess for your situation is it either was just a false positive, since they rely on computer searches so much (Seriously, they feed resumes into computers at a lot of places now and throw out any that don't have keywords they desire.), or, it is like what I believe my situation is. They might be looking for someone with brains to fill a position, but either can't keep it filled, or want to pay them less by not looking for someone who themselves are seeking an "administrative" job. You could try asking them some questions before agreeing to do an interview, and researching the company themselves. Or, if this doesn't sound like a job you want, decline or ignore it. Ignoring it might not be the best idea, if they have way to leave hidden feedback about you on the job website or their own network of contacts.

Also, ouch for the recruiting duty. I've heard plenty of stories from a close family member about "getting bodies."

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Does look a little bit odd to me, if it's possible I would research the company.

Hairless Mammoth said:
Like albino boo said, they likely just found some keywords in your profile on one of those sites. Months ago, I went to a temp agency to get a specific job and filled out their online profile with my CNC certifications and some auto mechanic and assistant manager experience. I keep getting offers to fill out more forms to apply for being a cable technician, despite only briefly mentioning my years of DIY home improvement skills. They are likely trying to fill spots with a high turnover rate. (I've heard from some sources that they sub-contract much of their infrastructure work, and I've already had to deal with working for a semi-incompetent company, their temp agency two states over, and the outsourcing company's managers literally breathing down my neck.)

My guess for your situation is it either was just a false positive, since they rely on computer searches so much (Seriously, they feed resumes into computers at a lot of places now and throw out any that don't have keywords they desire.), or, it is like what I believe my situation is. They might be looking for someone with brains to fill a position, but either can't keep it filled, or want to pay them less by not looking for someone who themselves are seeking an "administrative" job. You could try asking them some questions before agreeing to do an interview, and researching the company themselves. Or, if this doesn't sound like a job you want, decline or ignore it. Ignoring it might not be the best idea, if they have way to leave hidden feedback about you on the job website or their own network of contacts.

Also, ouch for the recruiting duty. I've heard plenty of stories from a close family member about "getting bodies."
Mind if I ask about your CNC qualifications?
I used to programme and run a CNC router, really enjoyed it and have been thinking about perusing it a bit more.
What sort of course did you take?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
carlsberg export said:
Mind if I ask about your CNC qualifications?
I used to programme and run a CNC router, really enjoyed it and have been thinking about perusing it a bit more.
What sort of course did you take?
I took non-credit/continuing education classes at the local community college. They were 6 classes on setup and operation of mills, programing mills, setup and operation of lathes, programing lathes, blueprint reading, and intro to tooling (detailing how different metals behave when cut and how different tools react to forces put on them). The instructor even said that community colleges are the best for CNC courses.

If you're looking for it as a career, you might even be able to get a job just from your CNC router experience. Otherwise, I sure most colleges should let you take just the course(s) you wish to focus on.

Hope that helps. Also, thanks for the reminder of my goal of making my own custom CNC router in a couple years.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
I would be suspicious especially of the fact they they want to be contacted on yahoo messenger rather than a phone number. The job description and necessary skills are both incredibly general, and if your resume is not geared towards this type of position, that sounds even more suspicious.

Search for the company online and note any contact details they provide (email address, phone numbers). Compare this to the details provided to you in the email. Also if they provide a company web address in the email, make sure this is the same as the company address returned by a search. If that checks out, also research the company to see if it's a real company and not a bogus scam company.

It's common to run into scams while job hunting. Work from home scams where you need to pay them something upfront, Pyramid schemes, investment scams, ones where you actually end up talking to advertisers for training courses who will tell you that you missed out because you're lacking x training qualification (even you have it, they'll tell you that it's "expired"). If this is a scam then it's likely trying to gather personal details (drivers license, bank account number, etc.) through the fake interview.

If you think it could be real and want to see, just remember not to provide any personal information online.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well they only offer an interview so that is fine, if they would ask you to buy shit then it's questionable.
Never the less someone just did a search and one of the many names that came up was yours, probably a waste of time since the guy sending out invites is not the guy who hires people and didn't actually check if you are suited.

Been through that rigmarole far too often, someone sends me to a company that is hiring but they have zero interest in my skillset... burning my time, money and nerves when I'm already running on fumes.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
I'm currently in the US Navy (Yeoman) and that offer looks okay to me, if it were me I'd look into it. You could even accept it so you can have a stable position while you look for the real job you want/go to collage. Just make sure to keep all PII to yourself.