Should I buy Dragon Age Inquisition? Honest Opinions.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Metalmacher said:
I've played through 2 playthroughs of Inquisition as a battle-ice mage elf and a 2-handed reaver warrior qunari, and so far I've played like 24 hours in Witcher 3, still exploring the first map, White Orchard, so you might have to take my opinion with a grain of salt.
What? 24 hours in and your still in White Orchard? How, just how? I 100% the area, did every quest, explored every questionmark and even looked through any look and crany on the map, but i still got through it in 5 hours. How did you manage to still be in the map 24 hours in? Are you sure you're talking about White Orchard and not Velen?

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Nope.

I was HUGE fan of origins and wound up becoming an even bigger fan of Dragon Age 2 because of the more focused story. Inquisition doesn't feel like a dragon age game. You are thrown into a big world without much direction with a million things to pick up, a ton of seemingly random encounters and hundreds of sidequests that don't really push the story along or expand your appreciation of the world. It's just a pretty sandbox with 100's of hours of things to do but no great cohesion.

I've only managed to devote a few hours into Inquisition so at best my experience with the title falls under first impressions but my time with the game was thoroughly boring (beyond the gorgeous scenery).

The main quest completely failed to capture my attention and nor did any of the new OR old characters in the time I spent with the game. Inquisition feels like picking up a higher quality MMO whose story you don't care about and questing in it solo. Your enjoyment of the game will largely be determined by how accepting your are of this type of busy work.

I don't dare risk picking up The Witcher 3 since it's getting essentially the identical response as Inquisition received following it's launch. I have no way to know if this is just history repeating itself or if Witcher 3 is genuine lasting greatness. I'll wait until game of the year version goes on sale and if people still think The Witcher 3 was legit then I'll pick it up.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
babinro said:
Nope.

I was HUGE fan of origins and wound up becoming an even bigger fan of Dragon Age 2 because of the more focused story. Inquisition doesn't feel like a dragon age game. You are thrown into a big world without much direction with a million things to pick up, a ton of seemingly random encounters and hundreds of sidequests that don't really push the story along or expand your appreciation of the world. It's just a pretty sandbox with 100's of hours of things to do but no great cohesion.

I've only managed to devote a few hours into Inquisition so at best my experience with the title falls under first impressions but my time with the game was thoroughly boring (beyond the gorgeous scenery).

The main quest completely failed to capture my attention and nor did any of the new OR old characters in the time I spent with the game. Inquisition feels like picking up a higher quality MMO whose story you don't care about and questing in it solo. Your enjoyment of the game will largely be determined by how accepting your are of this type of busy work.

I don't dare risk picking up The Witcher 3 since it's getting essentially the identical response as Inquisition received following it's launch. I have no way to know if this is just history repeating itself or if Witcher 3 is genuine lasting greatness. I'll wait until game of the year version goes on sale and if people still think The Witcher 3 was legit then I'll pick it up.
Ah, i can personally tell you that The Witcher 3 is much better than Inquisition, but i can understand you skepticism as Inquisition was really well received when it came out.
What i can tell you about my enjoyment of the games is that after 50 hours of gameplay I was bored out of my mind of Inquisition. After 57 hours of The Witcher 3 I still can't wait for the next time I can find some more time to play it.
Maybe you can watch some Let's plays on youtube? I find them always really good to find out how good a game really is and as long as you don't get beyond the videos were they are in the starting area, White Orchard you won't spoil yourself a lot.

Granfaloon

Apr 25, 2013
DA:I is the only game in the Dragon Age series that I have played, started it about a month ago. I made it to the second area/zone, quested around for a bit, and haven't played it since. It's really just kind of meh in my opinion, nothing exciting.