Should i buy Dues Ex:HR and Bioshock 1 ?

jakobhl

Sep 13, 2008
Regarding Bioshock crashing: I had that problem but found an inelegant fix. The problem is caused by the game being in fullscreen while loading. In order to get the game to load (both when loading a save and starting a new game) you need to be in windowed mode which can be done from the options menu. Annoying, but I really love the original Bioshock, so it's worth it (played it on xbox the first time around though).

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Zeckt said:
Forget Deus Ex then, as what is not stealth is comprised of terrible boss battles. You will NOT get any enjoyment out of this game. I don't know how anyone can tell this guy it has great gameplay when he clearly states he does not like stealth which will make this game a waste of his money. Please trust me on this.
If someone doesn't like stealth they can actually play Deus Ex without it. In fact, it's remarkably good at letting players choose between going balls out guns blazing and sneaking through. So I'd say he shouldn't trust you on this at all.

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
I could go on and on about the utter greatness of this game, but TL;DR: Get Human Revolution.[/quote]
mohit9206 said:
Ok thanks for the heads up. Both the games are only $5 each so i'll order both and see which one i like more.
Also should i buy Dead Space 1 or Dead Space 3 ? which one is the better game overall in terms of story, gameplay etc ?
dead space 2 had a decent plot, as good jump scares as DS2 and was a very good horror/kneecapper-shooter

I would recommend it

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
You don't have to play Deus Ex: HR as a stealth game, although I feel that it's weaker as a shooter. Both Deus Ex, and Bioshock, are good PC ports, and they should perform well, given your specs. In terms of bugs, I know that Bioshock used to have a number of sound issues, which could be fixed by turning on Stereo Mix from the sound options in Windows.
As for the story, I don't know your preferences, so there's no way to know which game's story would appeal to you more.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
DE:HR was my favorite game in 2011, and is still really good. You have a thematically interesting story combined with a lot of different options in regards to how to solve every mission. My only real complaints are is the dumb-as-hell boss fights and the endings.
Also, despite what other people say in this thread: you do not need to play this as a stealth game. I think it's better as a stealth game, but you always have the option of just shooting everyone. You just can't run head-on into everything.

Bioshock suffers from the fact that the combat is uninteresting/unchallenging, but it's still worth a playthrough. The story and themes are really well done, even though the game tapers off after the big, iconic scene(which is worth playing for alone tbh).

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
Zeckt said:
Forget Deus Ex then, as what is not stealth is comprised of terrible boss battles. You will NOT get any enjoyment out of this game. I don't know how anyone can tell this guy it has great gameplay when he clearly states he does not like stealth which will make this game a waste of his money. Please trust me on this.
You can stealth or not stealth- whatever you like at any given point. I don't see why you would say it's only non-stealth at boss fights. I cleared most of it not being stealthed around baddies.

Jun 11, 2009
Both games are phenomenal, and definitely worth your time. Plus, they're really old, so you can easily find them in a bargain bin or something like that.

Bioshock is, as Bioshock Infinite's marketing campaign has spared no expense in reminding us, the highest rated first person shooter of all time. While the title is ultimately up to personal interpretation, Bioshock is definitely a contender.

The nice thing about Human Revolution (in addition to it being sick as hell and one of the best games to come out of this console generation) is that it's actually quite well balanced for both stealth and gunplay, though stealth is where it shines.

So, yes. You should definitely buy and play both of them, no matter where your preferences in gaming lie.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Vivi22 said:
Zeckt said:
If someone doesn't like stealth they can actually play Deus Ex without it. In fact, it's remarkably good at letting players choose between going balls out guns blazing and sneaking through. So I'd say he shouldn't trust you on this at all.
Actually he really can. I generally play games on the hard difficulty but in this games case it may as well be called the stealth only difficulty. So you augment stealth and get screwed by bosses that have nothing to do with your present specialization. They put a skill tree and then pit you against bosses that have nothing to do with your present spec. It's just pure garbage that pigeon holes you into playing the way the game wants you to, there IS no choice in gameplay there is only the way the game wants you to play with enough trial and error to make you sick. You say you don't like stealth, I'll say it again. Don't waste your money!

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Zeckt said:
Vivi22 said:
Zeckt said:
Actually he really can. I generally play games on the hard difficulty but in this games case it may as well be called the stealth only difficulty. So you augment stealth and get screwed by bosses that have nothing to do with your present specialization. They put a skill tree and then pit you against bosses that have nothing to do with your present spec. It's just pure garbage that pigeon holes you into playing the way the game wants you to, there IS no guns blazing route.
Ever consider that he might not play it on the hard difficulty?

Not everybody plays games the same way, or for the same thing.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Still, he said himself he did not enjoy playing hitman so I fail to see the point in trying to persuade him he will like Human Revolution. I seriously doubt he will. I see no point in trying to get him to buy something its doubtful he will like just because you all did. Sorry, I stand by it. Don't buy HR.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Honestly, yes, they're both great games.

To me, Bioshock Didn't have a terrible ending, and the journey was DEFIANTLY worth it in the long run, its one of my favorite FPS games of all time (well, so far).

Deus Ex: HR, I personally really liked because of the story and the setting, dont get me started about that soundtrack (its SO good!). Stealth isn't required either, you can go the guns blazing route and have just as much fun, you just have to be a bit careful.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Deus Ex: Human Revolution doesn't pack as much story as the first Deus Ex did (a lot more was going on behind the scenes), but it's a very good game in its own right; offering the player actual choice in their approach.
Which is something you just don't see much of in AAA games anymore unless they're a dedicated sandbox.

And ignore the naysayers; as far as stealth games go it is incredibly forgiving on all but the highest difficulty. You can EASIlY shoot your way through the missions if you want, and the game doesn't really penalize you for it.

Be warned, the ending is very disappointing, even compared to the original Deus Ex.

Bioshock 1: Yes, it's a great game, and now it's dirt cheap. Definitely play it. The story and atmosphere aren't nearly as deep as people make it out to being, but it is an interesting critique on Objectivism and Randian principles.

Mar 12, 2013
I think you can still have fun with BioShock even knowing the ending. It's the journey that matters.

I would start on BioShock as soon as possible though, since most of the FPS don't really age well graphics-wise. You might was well give it a spin before it look dated.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
I don't know what to say about Bioshock, but I know that it's a blast to play Deus Ex with guns blazing; so don't worry about having to be stealthy. The story is nothing to write home about though.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Buy Deus Ex 1 instead, then install The Nameless Mod. There, I just handed you 60-ish hours of (quality) gaming for half the current price of Bioshock 1.