Should I buy SimCity?

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
I've watched a few videos of it and it looks really good and fun. I love games like that.
One thing I hate with it is the always online DRM. I really want the game, but I don't want to support that crap DRM.

What do you think I should do?

And do you think that if SimCity sells well, do you think that DRM like that will be more regular?

EDIT: And I haven't tried Origin yet, but I've heard nothing good about it. Honestly, How bad is it?

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
It's best to think of it as SimCity the MMO, I find it's far far better playing in this design with the segregated city plots in a multiplayer format instead of solo.

I was up with a bunch of friends handling a large 16 city region for like... 4hrs. Only 5 were on then, as we're waiting on more friends to join us. All of us were on voicecomm and covering each other with dedicated city focus, sending money, services, sharing city hall modules and such.

Like I had set up my city to be a mining town, full of industrial buildings. And a neighboring city was almost all residential, so basically they were all commuting to my area to work. So since he didn't have a lot of funds to manage his population, I'd send some money to him on a regular basis to help him out, since he was helping me out in return.

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
For me, it's a dealbreaker. I'm not interested in supporting such odious DRM, not interested in a multiplayer-only Sim game, not interested in a game that will likely leverage social pressure inherent in multiplayer-only titles to force players to buy DLC, not interested in a Sim game that won't work a few years down the line when EA shuts off the servers. No thx.

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
ThriKreen said:
It's best to think of it as SimCity the MMO, I find it's far far better playing in this design with the segregated city plots in a multiplayer format instead of solo.

I was up with a bunch of friends handling a large 16 city region for like... 4hrs. Only 5 were on then, as we're waiting on more friends to join us. All of us were on voicecomm and covering each other with dedicated city focus, sending money, services, sharing city hall modules and such.

Like I had set up my city to be a mining town, full of industrial buildings. And a neighboring city was almost all residential, so basically they were all commuting to my area to work. So since he didn't have a lot of funds to manage his population, I'd send some money to him on a regular basis to help him out, since he was helping me out in return.
Eh, that doesn't really sound like something for me. I like the fact that you can play with friends, but I want that to be a thing I choose, not something I've been forced into by the game.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Cyfu said:
Eh, that doesn't really sound like something for me. I like the fact that you can play with friends, but I want that to be a thing I choose, not something I've been forced into by the game.
The game doesn't FORCE you into playing multiplayer, but it does force you into being connected to EA's servers, and some people perpetually erroneously conflate "online" with "multiplayer", so you're going to have people moaning about how "it used to be a single player game" when...it can still be a single player game. It's just, you know...saddled with DRM.

So...on to your questions...

DO I THINK DRM LIKE THIS WILL BE MORE REGULAR? Yes, whether you buy this game or not. It is the current go-to solution for battling piracy on the PC, and a lot of companies are going to dip their toes in.

HOW IS ORIGIN? Fine, really. Not much different than Steam. Pricier, with less generous sales, and equally abysmal customer service, but there's nothing uniquely horrible about it. All of the game store/applets have their pros and cons you're likely quite familiar with by now.

HOW IS SIMCITY? Pretty fun actually, but not without flaws. There's the always online requirement, the cities are VERY small, multiplayer is somewhat dubious and feature light, and the game is plagued by some bugs and simulation break-downs. On the pro side, it's very clean and intuitive, it looks good, and when the simulation works it's enthralling.

SHOULD YOU BUY IT? If you're absolutely hot in the pants to play SimCity, I guess so. It's a popular title from a historically popular IP, so I don't predict huge price drops in the near future, but you never know. If you're on the fence, wait for more in depth reviews. If you're absolutely eager to play, check out some of the lengthy let's plays. WoWCrendor/Jesse Cox did a 5-6 part series, and TB and his wife did a 1.5 hour in-depth look at the game yesterday. Those should give you a pretty solid impression of what to expect.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
If you want Simcity classic, Simcity 2000, Simcity 3000, Simcity 4 experience, then this game doesn't worth to buy.
If you want Tropico MMO, then this game is exactly for you.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Don't buy Simcity 2013, you will be probably be disappointed and annoyed.

Buy Simcity 4, it is still a great game, I thoroughly recommend it. It doesn't have any DRM and if you need curved roads then install the Network Addon Mod (NAM) and its addons which also improves the pathfinding, which is a bit brain dead by default.

Or buy the latest Cities XL, the only DRM is Steam, it looks better than SimCity 4 (as good as SimCity 2013, IMHO) and is almost as good a game as SimCity 4 and has curvy roads and large city sizes out the box - but they still haven't fixed the memory leak which causes it to crash regularly.

EDIT: Origin in itself is not a problem and is in my experience quite well behaved. It's just another digital distribution service and store. The problem is of course EA tying all their new games to it, but them all Valve's games are tied to Steam.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
No, don't touch it with a f**king barge pole :)

Actual gameplay footage by SWIM:

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Cyfu said:
I've watched a few videos of it and it looks really good and fun. I love games like that.
One thing I hate with it is the always online DRM. I really want the game, but I don't want to support that crap DRM.

What do you think I should do?

And do you think that if SimCity sells well, do you think that DRM like that will be more regular?

EDIT: And I haven't tried Origin yet, but I've heard nothing good about it. Honestly, How bad is it?
Its okay. If you can't run it on FULL settings you might not wanna bother, its ugly as sin unless its maxed out.

Currently there is over a 30 minute queue to login and play on the US servers...."Error 37" ahoy, so take that into account as well.

I'm at work currently, but if I get home and I can't connect and play...I'm calling EA and getting a refund.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I'm no fan but my mate has been spazing out over SimCity 5 every waking hour and apart from multiplayer he said everything is done better in SimCity 4, it is also dirt cheap now and comes with tons of mods, which SC5 will never have.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
DON'T BUY SIM CITY.don't support publishers who shove horrible DRM and always internet required down our throats.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
ThriKreen said:

So is it fun if you don't have a large group of friends? I only have a handful of gamer friends and none of them are into this genre. I'm not interested in making friends to play a game (I'm trying to say that in a non-asshole way lol).

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I wouldn't buy it. People SAY you can just make a region private and own every city in it, and you totally can; but the catch is the city is not ACTIVE if there is no one playing it. So one city will not receive the coal exports of another if there is not a player IN the city currently, for example.

For me, my internet goes down a lot, so I can't play always online games. I also don't really want login queues and server maintenance in a Sim City game.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
It's your call OP.
I'm getting it though. The always online isn't really an issue for me, as I'd be playing it online regardless.
But different strokes for different folks.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
If you want to buy it, sure go ahead. Should you buy it NOW? Fuck no! It's at the most expensive and least stable right now. Wait for a sale. By then the major bugs will likely be ironed out and hopefully their server capacity issues will be resolved.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
yourbeliefs said:
If you want to buy it, sure go ahead. Should you buy it NOW? Fuck no! It's at the most expensive and least stable right now. Wait for a sale. By then the major bugs will likely be ironed out and hopefully their server capacity issues will be resolved.
This!

I'll probably get the GOTY when it's 15 bucks. For now, it's not worth paying 60 bucks to wait in a 30 minute queue to play a single-player game.

Vetta E-dom

Mar 10, 2012
MammothBlade said:

Yep, No other game in the history of gaming has ever had server issues day one, completely unreasonable!

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Gabe Yaden said:
MammothBlade said:

Yep, No other game in the history of gaming has ever had server issues day one, completely unreasonable!
Of course, but I criticise those games just as much. For a game that should not be exclusively multiplayer, this is an appalling standard. Look what I did just now, I picked up simcity 2000 from gog.com and I could play it perfectly well without having to log into EA's server first. That's the sort of smooth pick up and play experience one should expect from a game even on release day.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
MammothBlade said:
Of course, but I criticise those games just as much. For a game that should not be exclusively multiplayer, this is an appalling standard. Look what I did just now, I picked up simcity 2000 from gog.com and I could play it perfectly well without having to log into EA's server first. That's the sort of smooth pick up and play experience one should expect from a game even on release day.
Servers down on day one is lame.

No offline mode is lame.

Servers down on day one and no offline mode is not the entirety of what the game is, either.

I don't know why people can't take a balanced approach to anything any more. They latch on to a single talking point, and beat it into the ground. Servers down for a few minutes on launch day? DE DEVIL! DE DEVIL!

The best part is the OP is obviously already aware of the online DRM and remains conflicted, yet 90% of the thread is people informing him of the existence of the online DRM and insisting he use it as the sole criteria for dismissing the game.

I should start thread-bombing advice threads with "Don't buy this! Playstation exclusive! Don't support exclusionary business practices!". It's about as useful.