Should I move to Australia?

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
I wouldn't, but that's just because I live here. Australia isn't the fun, awesome place to live that it was during the 80s and 90s. The pathetic "Me first" attitudes of the people are more representative of some texas/alabama-type uneducated god-bothering drongo than a hip, forward moving and free thinking crowd.

I'm afraid you've missed the party mate, and there's nothing left but the hangover and vomit to deal with now.

Lonator

Jan 25, 2010
Do it, there is no finer country than Aus, I'd highly reccomend rural towns too, the people are a lot more down to earth as it were. But ive been to most parts of Aus and the whole country is epic, and Atkinson is irrelivent, if there is a game that you want that hes blocking, eBay it up my friend.

Allan53

Dec 13, 2007
The economy is going to collapse at some point in the next 2 - 4 years.

Just so you know.

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
You can still import banned/censored games, so, come to Australia. We have nice beaches, hot women and some absolutely fantastic natural locations.

CroMagnon

Dec 7, 2009
TimeLord said:
I just got asked by my parents if I want to move to Australia.
My dad has a job opportunity there.
Is that a good idea?

I really don't know because as much as I'd love to move there, I'd be leaving my friends behind etc and one man stands in my way....

Michael Atkinson!

EDIT: Just to clarify, I live in Scotland just now so I'd probably explode from the temperature differential alone
Wow, dude, i was EXACTLY THE SAME POSSISION 6 YEARS AGO.

My dad got a job offer at the Aussie Snycotron(sp?) and, well, australia is actualy an okay place to live... exept for games. Everything is FAR to expencive, games dont get released fast enough, and no R 18 raiting.

and if you are coming, Welcome!

PinkAngelKitty

Jan 24, 2010
I certainly would, in your position. Though truth be told I'd rather live in New Zealand. It's much nicer.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
Irridium said:
Oof.
If games are a big part of your life, I say don't do it.
The banning of 'R' rated games has very little impact to anyone in Australia who is savvy about importing, or looking for workarounds. Games like the 'banned' Left 4 Dead 2 are stupidly easy to get, especially via steam, without the use of anonymous proxies, and playasia.com is not only a way to import restricted games, but also a cheaper alternative to buying locally, provided you don't mind waiting for it being couriered.

Any Aussie who complains otherwise is just lazy.

Apr 28, 2008
Don said:
Irridium said:
Oof.
If games are a big part of your life, I say don't do it.
The banning of 'R' rated games has very little impact to anyone in Australia who is savvy about importing, or looking for workarounds. Games like the 'banned' Left 4 Dead 2 are stupidly easy to get, especially via steam, without the use of anonymous proxies, and playasia.com is not only a way to import restricted games, but also a cheaper alternative to buying locally, provided you don't mind waiting for it being couriered.

Any Aussie who complains otherwise is just lazy.
Oh, well, I learned something today.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
It really depends on where in Australia -

Canberra. If you want to be bored.
Melbourne. If you're into culture.
Perth. If you like the beach.
Sydney. If you like enjoy dealing with people.
Brisbane. If you can stand the heat.

Personally I'd only live in Melbourne. I've lived in Sydney and now live in New Zealand.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
TimeLord said:
Is that a good idea?

I really don't know because as much as I'd love to move there, I'd be leaving my friends behind etc and one man stands in my way....

Michael Atkinson!

EDIT: Just to clarify, I live in Scotland just now so I'd probably explode from the temperature differential alone
I live in Australia. Things to know:

* It's hot. No matter where you go. Bring winter clothes though because your body will eventually adjust. Take water with you everywhere.
* Wildlife here is dangerous. The smaller it is, the more likely it will kill you. Don't pick up things that crawl, and don't put your hands into anything you can't see the inside of. Don't stand around under random trees without checking what's in them.
* People are nice but they get drunk A LOT, probably more than even a Scot is used to.
* Girls will dig your accent. Please don't steal any from me, thanks in advance.
* Michael Atkinson has more power in South Australia (the state I'm in as luck would have it) than anywhere else. And pings and server choices for multiplayer play are crap due to distance issues. However even in the worst parts of this gaming wasteland there is always online distro and local servers, so relax. You're only screwed if you go waaaay out into the country where there is no internet or phone lines.
* Lifestyle is awesome. Trust me, you do want to live here. Once you're settled in you won't go back.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
It is my official duty as an Australian to tell you this:

Watch out for the drop bears

EDIT: also if you move here, you can stalk Yahtzee

Puzzles

Aug 9, 2009
It's utterly different to Scotland, I can tell you that much. The weather is basically polar opposite.

If you do, be prepared for:

Meatheads driving around in utes.
Some deadly animals.
A summer that will tear your skin off.
A winter that can't decide if it wants to be luke-warm or hot.
Barely any snow.
Shite internet.
A lack of any culture.

However:

Awesome beaches.
Pretty, tanned girls.
No Glasgow stabbings.
Sometimes the weather is just perfect.
Some other stuff I can't remember.

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
TimeLord said:
Is that a good idea?

Michael Atkinson!

Do not take advice from anyone who doesn't live in Australia. I live in Australia. It is a fucking shithole. It is good to visit but not to stay.

Visit don't stay.

EDIT: Be prepared to pay twice as usual for your games.
$60 for a game turns to $120 for a game. New consoles will be $700. Fell like coming here now?
It's not just games that cost more (oil).

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
You can always import games, so I don't see any reason not to. I must say, I am freakishly envious of you.
S.R.S. said:
Isn't it your dad's decision?
A parent's responsibility is also to keep the family together, not ripping it apart by doing whatever he or she likes.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
Australia is in my opinion the best place to live. We have kangaroos, koalas and some of the hottest women on the planet! The countryside is like nothing you've ever seen before. And, with all the crazy schemes he's come up with, Atkinson won't last much longer.
BTW South Australia isn't as bad as everyone says even though we have Michael Atkinson. It's just very boring here...

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
S.R.S. said:
A parent's responsibility is also to keep the family together, not ripping it apart by doing whatever he or she likes.
But it's for your own good young man!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
S.R.S. said:
Cowabungaa said:
S.R.S. said:
But it's for your own good young man!
BUT I DUN WANNAAAA!!! *kicks and screams and throws a temper tantrum*

Seriously though, if my dad would ask this to our family, I'd faint of excitement. Sadly I know he won't. Ever. So I'll have to do it on my own.

NuclearPenguin

Oct 29, 2009
I grew up there.
If you are adventurous, sure, go.
If you are a cooped up little shut in do not leave.
You will have a hard time defending from all the animals.
And also, if you like animals, a tip, dont have a guinea pig farm in the back yard, snakes get in. They eat them. Lots of them.
Also, if you like fields, always keep some kind of flamethrower or machete with you.
And if you like the heat, awesome, if you dont, no point in going.

Im not even kidding about a single thing there