Should I support Nintendo anymore?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Bellvedere said:
Well, I'm very excited to not buy their products and I can't say I find your analogy very helpful to me. They can brick and I'd be willing to bet they have, and that not all the reasons were legitimate. Regardless, I don't agree with the idea and the policy, ergo no sale. I really don't care about the hacking community at all, as I have no skill in doing so. Anything else?

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Bellvedere said:
Well, I'm very excited to not buy their products and I can't say I find your analogy very helpful to me. They can brick and I'd be willing to bet they have, and that not all the reasons were legitimate. Regardless, I don't agree with the idea and the policy, ergo no sale. I really don't care about the hacking community at all, as I have no skill in doing so. Anything else?
I wasn't suggesting that you should get a 3DS (or the OP for that matter). To be clear, I'm not trying to be hostile or combative. This was not so much aimed at you personally but at providing some extra info since people didn't seem to know what you were referring to.

I don't understand what you mean by not all these reasons were legitimate?
Maybe I was a bit unclear about what I meant in my earlier post? Users can brick their own consoles by making bad/incompatible changes to the system NAND (where firmware is stored) or causing hardware to break. There's not a feature that detects unauthorised modifications and bricks the console.

I honestly don't know why it was a thing specifically for the 3DS, since the WiiU is the same and the policy itself is pretty standard (such as the below for PS4 and XboxOne). I guess the prevalence of flash carts for Nintendo handhelds just made that homebrew/hacking/modding community more accessible as far as consoles go?

3. Services and Updates
Services may include the latest update or download of a new release of System Software containing security patches, new technology or revised settings and features that may prevent access to unauthorized or pirated content or prevent use of unauthorized hardware or software in connection with your PS4 system. These updates, upgrades and services may have effects on the functionality of your PS4 system, and SCE is not responsible to you for any such effects or any harm caused by the installation process

2. License:
b) As conditions to this Xbox Software license, You agree that:
(i) You will not use Unauthorized Accessories or Unauthorized Games. They may not work or may stop working permanently after an Xbox Software update.
(ii) You will not use or install any Unauthorized Software. If You do, Your Xbox Console, Kinect Sensor or Authorized Accessory may stop working permanently at that time or after a later Xbox Software update.
(iii) You will not attempt to defeat or circumvent any Xbox Console, Kinect Sensor or Authorized Accessory technical limitation, security, or anti-piracy system. If You do, Your Xbox Console, Kinect Sensor or Authorized Accessory may stop working permanently at that time or after a later Xbox Software update.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
McMarbles said:
Nintendo's the reason Dragon Quest VII, the Bravely series, and Yokai Watch have gotten localized.
Japan can keep Yokai Watch.

even calling it a poor mans pokemon is still a massive insult to pokemon

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
Yoshi178 said:
McMarbles said:
Nintendo's the reason Dragon Quest VII, the Bravely series, and Yokai Watch have gotten localized.
Japan can keep Yokai Watch.

even calling it a poor mans pokemon is still a massive insult to pokemon
Pokemon had good mechanics. Wasn't Sony/Squaresoft responsible for Dragon Quest VII coming to Western shores for the Playstation 1?

[Edit: Sorry, I just checked the game case; Enix was the company.]

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Leviathan said:
Now this makes me wonder how this works legal-wise. Do you own the rights to USE the 3DS (a la DRM for video games) or do you own the actual 3DS itself?
Uh depending on the wording of the ToS that no one actually reads, it's entirely possible that Nintendo could sue your ass off for it and win. This topic is one that is coming up especially in regards to vehicles and the like even with simple repairs.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/203913-general-motors-john-deere-want-to-keep-tinkering-self-repair-illegal
https://www.eff.org/issues/right-to-repair
http://www.wsj.com/articles/we-need-the-right-to-repair-our-gadgets-1441737868
http://modernfarmer.com/2016/07/right-to-repair/

The corporate overlords giveth and the corporate overlords taketh away

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
McMarbles said:
Huh? Not according to Dragon Quest VII's wiki page. It originally came out in 2001 for the PSX in the US, localised by Square Enix.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Gekidami said:
McMarbles said:
Huh? Not according to Dragon Quest VII's wiki page. It originally came out in 2001 for the PSX in the US, localised by Square Enix.
I'm talking about the 3DS version, which has an entirely new localization.

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
https://youtu.be/L5-nfsEA0Wc

Well, this video seems to have answered my question pretty well. These things talked about in said video were in my mind but never had put enough thought into it. Or realized what I had been missing due to my lack of attention. I won't support Nintendo anymore.

Thanks for posting either way.