Should People Resign In Protest?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So, this has been a question that has bounced around my head for some time, pretty much a LOT in the last 4 years, hmm, wonder why.

But I just saw a news blurb about how more people in Trump's admin are resigning in protest. And I just find this to be incredibly stupid.

So, you have a shitbag doing terrible things, and you don't like them, but you are part of the infrastructure that he uses to be a shitbag. So, you quit when they do things you can't stand....opening up the door for some other shitbag to fill your vacancy, and make things worse.

Wouldn't it be a better plan to stay in your position, if for no other reason than to keep them from filling it with another Yes Man, who might not have the same level of ethics as you?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
The problem is that you basically have two options

1. Resign and then you can speak up and shine a big spotlight on the problem

2. Get fired because you refuse to do whatever shit you're being ordered to do and now you look like you're speaking out because you're bitter you got fired. Unless you plan on just doing the job but just keep complaining about it, in which case I'm not sure you're much better than a Yes Man if you're going to do the job anyway (which will likely get you fired eventually too)

I suppose ultimately it might be a case by case kind of thing. Someone like Dr Fauci who Trump couldn't (directly) fire would be better off staying in his position because he can tell Trump to suck a lemon if Trump tells him to tell everyone that COVID isn't a big deal and masks should come off and we should all greet each other from now on by sneezing in each others face.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I think the idea is they don't want to be seen as being part of the issue. But I agree, they should remain in, clearly voice they're opposition but use their position to try and limit the damage until they're removed.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I always thought the whole resign in protest gimmick was for people who have no power, yet want a political future to distance themselves just enough to claim protest, while also keeping back channels to people in power.

Like Mick Mulvaney just resigned in protest. The envoy to Ireland. So a powerless man resigning to make himself look good, but who here thinks he isn't staying in the Republican party and isn't going to try to get back into power later, partially on the credit of resigning in protest?

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
So, this has been a question that has bounced around my head for some time, pretty much a LOT in the last 4 years, hmm, wonder why.

But I just saw a news blurb about how more people in Trump's admin are resigning in protest. And I just find this to be incredibly stupid.

So, you have a shitbag doing terrible things, and you don't like them, but you are part of the infrastructure that he uses to be a shitbag. So, you quit when they do things you can't stand....opening up the door for some other shitbag to fill your vacancy, and make things worse.

Wouldn't it be a better plan to stay in your position, if for no other reason than to keep them from filling it with another Yes Man, who might not have the same level of ethics as you?
Very few people have the courage to stand up to authority figures so they either cower in silence or make a symbolic gesture at no cost to reputation or future prospects. I guess if you have nothing to lose it's easier but those people rarely occupy any position of significance. Career politicians in particular often licked up and kicked down for years if not decades to get into the good graces of their party's establishment so they aren't going to risk burning it all down by refusing to cooperate with the big bully. Trump is simply too popular among a huge chunk of the electorate so neither the Republicans establishment nor career politicians dare to openly defy him. Since that ofcourse would be tantamount to political suicide. Resigning is then the safe way out.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, no easy answer to that. On one hand, I don't blame people for working with the system they have. OTOH, I don't blame people for not wanting to support a system that is morally reprehensible.