Should Sony and Nintendo Fear the iPhone?

MecaEcco

Jun 30, 2008
bue519 said:
Wow who knew that the powerhouse of this console generation would be the Iphone.
It really isn't...I have an iPod touch and while it is fun it is no replacement for a DS or a PSP. It's the system for people who don't want to be "that guy" playing a DS on the subway.

MecaEcco

Jun 30, 2008
AceDiamond said:
So far the iPhone has only proven to work in terms of small, independent developers. Hence why Apple will soon be segregating content made by big industry into a "Premium Store" where the latte-swigging public will be able to pay $20 much easier on products made by EA and so forth, rather than supporting the little guy.

I'm doubting that Nintendo is really that worried. Sony? maybe. But we have to remember the DS has pretty much been printing money.

And that Nintendo is 10-0 in the portables market.
This is true

Phase_9

Oct 18, 2008
I highly doubt Sony or Nintendo give a crap about the iPhone. The games aren't good, they are just cheaper.

neuromasser

Jan 20, 2009
It failed to hold my attention for a long time, like DS and PSP, so I count it in consoles. Not really iPhone, but interesting enough: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/472735

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Simply put, as a gaming platform, the iPhone/Touch is extremely incomplete, and relies on a huge gimmick. But like Nintendo's consoles, it sells.

I always considered this device as a good introduction to gaming, a first step for Apple, certainly not an comfy end by any mean.

Although I have not hidden my desire to see a true Apple handheld [http://stonebytes.blogspot.com/2008/05/igame-part-i.html] exploiting the Clickwheel/D-pad, I'd say I'm more convinced about the rumors about the PSP 2 pointing at Sony finally coming with a well rounded portable console.

That's also an exciting upheaval for handheld competition.

trombone2007

Aug 14, 2008
The iPhone and iPod touch are unique in that they are almost limitlessly adaptable. Yes, the DSi (anyone else thinks it's a little wierd that Nintendo threw a lowercase i on the end of their new handheld? iPod ------- DSi?????) is getting a camera, had a touch screen before Apple, and has a much larger gaming community than Apple. The PSP got off to a rough start, and is now just playing catch-up to the other handhelds. The iPhone, on the other hand, was a success from the start. The technology that has been present in the iPhone from the start continues to out perform that of other handheld gaming devices.

squirrelman42

Dec 13, 2007
people aren't going to spend $70 a month just to play hardcore games on their phone. It's grea for what it is (assuming you don't count it as a phone, because it drops calls everywhere) but as a gaming platform...I don't see it. Remember the Nokia N Gage? Yeah, I don't either.

Mertruve

Feb 9, 2009
PayNSprayBandit said:
Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of mac, never have been. My first computer was an Apple and it didn't run Starcraft. And so began a long relationship of hate between us. That said, I love my iPhone to death. I got the 3G, it's the first thing I've bought from Apple since the 90's and it's awesome. It's like the Batcomputer, portable edition. When I was 8 I asked my parents for a portable radio that had in it everything electronic that I could name, they looked at me like I was out of my mind. Who would make such a thing? Well, after more than a decade, I found out the answer. Apple.
Uh, you DO know they weren't first?

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
You don't decide if you're a fanboy.
I do.
Frankly, they look shiny, but I'd be happy with my old Nokia phone. It didn't even flip open, but it made calls.
My MP3 player is a lot more compact and sturdier.
I do choose if I'm a fanboy or not.
1) I only have an iphone, nothing else apple, the main reason I was so apprehensive at first to get one is because itunes utterly screwed my old computer
2) I argue on windows' side in the mac vs. pc arguments (as any gamer would)

They look shiny, hmmm, like every other modern phone on the market? Seriously, the looks really don't make it any better. It's like a shiny black brick. Basically it is practical and has a million and one different functions, its only apple haters that don't like it.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Daveman said:
I got an iphone 3 weeks ago. It's been working perfectly until today when it decided I wasn't allowed to navigate back to my main page. I'm still trying to fix it. I REGRET NOTHING.
I'd just say I'm not an apple fanboy but this is something they do well. Games on it are epic.
You don't decide if you're a fanboy.
I do.
ColdStorage said:
MaxTheReaper said:
You know what's better than the iPhone?
Everything.

Not because the phone itself is bad, but because of the aforementioned "iCult."
OK i concede this point, being on a train and having a mac enthusiast trying to talk to me simply because I have an iPhone is an exercise in soul crushing.
Exactly. I don't get why people who own one think they're part of a fucking family of Mac customers.
If I felt a deep connection to everyone with a PC, how many years would I spend just chatting people up?
It is pretty awful, even worse is people stopping me in the street telling me how they think its a piece a shit, you know how good something is when strangers are willing to come up to you and tell you "your a mug for having that".

I've only ever seen strangers tell someone off for owning something before, and that was a Ferrari for fuck sake.
"you should of bought an Aston Martin mate".

what?.
ColdStorage said:
oliveira8 said:
But the iPhone is horrible...
No it is not!.

I have one, and I dont get the hate, its the finest phone I've ever had.
The gaming part is just a sub menu.

For a phone, gaming platform (sniggers), and mp3 player its quite well priced.
Frankly, they look shiny, but I'd be happy with my old Nokia phone. It didn't even flip open, but it made calls.
My MP3 player is a lot more compact and sturdier.[/quote]

I had a Minidisc player for that shit, I loved it with all my heart, and the day after my 3 year insurance ran out I dropped it.

NetMD, I miss you so much, with your intuitive scroll controls.

Since I dont have it anymore, iPhoney works great. Headphones are a piece of shit and a side of arse though, so I've performed surgery on mine.

mikeydangerous

Apr 14, 2009
Whoever posted this, as well as the author of the original article, have obviously never played video games before. Asking if the iPhone is a threat to the PSP or DS is like asking if the Wii is a threat to the XBox or PS3. The answer is CHRIST NO! Playing games on the iPhone, like playing games on the Wii, is designed for ultra-casual games, and anyone who actually enjoys video games will just not bother, because it will be a mountain of crap with one or two mildly glinting exceptions.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
cabooze said:
oliveira8 said:
But the iPhone is horrible...
Apple assasins are already at your front door, bail out the window and then start following the white rabbit.
Apple? hahaha What will they do? Club me to death with their sub-par products? Their apple tracker will run out of battery before they turn it on!

So let them come! I have Creative Mp3, windows OS and Siemens phones to fend myself!

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
mikeydangerous said:
Asking if the iPhone is a threat to the PSP or DS is like asking if the Wii is a threat to the XBox or PS3. The answer is CHRIST NO!
I think you may have undermined your point a bit there. Look at these platforms from a broader perspective than simply "hardcore gamers," and it's abundantly clear which platform is dominating. I'm not saying the iPhone is the next Wii - it's too early to tell on that one. But claiming that the PSP and DS have nothing to fear because the iPhone doesn't appeal to a strictly hardcore audience is a little shortsighted.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Considering the iPhone is twice as expensive as the DS I doubt they are serious competition for Nintendo's handheld. The PSP however is, being a multimedia device, much more similar to the iPhone and will face a lot of competition to it.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
squirrelman42 said:
people aren't going to spend $70 a month just to play hardcore games on their phone.
Jesus Christ is that how much it costs? Glad I just got an iTouch instead.