Should Sony and Nintendo Fear the iPhone?

squirrelman42

Dec 13, 2007
mydogisblue said:
squirrelman42 said:
people aren't going to spend $70 a month just to play hardcore games on their phone.
Jesus Christ is that how much it costs? Glad I just got an iTouch.
yeah, and that's the lowest plan available. it gets up to $165 if you want unlimited everything, plus another $10 a month when GPS comes out.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
squirrelman42 said:
mydogisblue said:
squirrelman42 said:
people aren't going to spend $70 a month just to play hardcore games on their phone.
Jesus Christ is that how much it costs? Glad I just got an iTouch.
yeah, and that's the lowest plan available. it gets up to $165 if you want unlimited everything, plus another $10 a month when GPS comes out.
Well as long as I'm connected to a wi-fi spot I could always just use Skype or the other apps that let me text for free anyways.

squirrelman42

Dec 13, 2007
@mydogisblue. Good call.

Personally I'm excited about the new DS with the same kind of features that the itouch has, plus a camera.

in general, if it starts with "i" I hate it.

toasterslayer

Dec 24, 2008
i get the itouch (WHO WOULD NAME IT THAT!)saturday! If I want to play games on a handheld I want them to be cheap and fun. thats what im geting hopefully.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Possibly, although they should be just as worried about the possiblity of everyone having iPhone type phones in five years time.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
Kojiro ftt said:
But I do get the iPhone. If you are sick of shitty mobile phones with shitty user interfaces, then the iPhone is a breath of fresh air.
ColdStorage said:
I have one, and I dont get the hate, its the finest phone I've ever had.
The gaming part is just a sub menu.

For a phone, gaming platform (sniggers), and mp3 player its quite well priced.
You know, that's precisely the opposite of what I've been saying for months [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.88365#1352807]. The iPhone is not unequivocally bad, but it is distinctly disappointing in many areas. The OS sucks, the whole thing is crippled with its proprietary approach and you don't even get features which every other single smartphone on the market has - what sort of phone doesn't allow you to change the battery or expand memory with an external card?

Tenmar's definitely got it right. If these companies try to chase Apple, they'll just lose in the market. The only hope I have is that it becomes a fad like it justly should, so another company can actually use those innovations that they did make (there are a few - emphasis on "few") on a phone that isn't crippled.
But your praising to the Power market, I've never needed to expand my memory, or change battery, ever.

So I'm glad my iPhone doesn't have a shoddy case cover that'll break off when I drop it, my nokia's had that crap, I'm glad my clumsyness isn't an issue with this phone.

iTeamKill

Dec 17, 2007
I own an iPhone. I had an iPod. To date thats the only apple products I have ever owned. Apple has its fanatics, but at least half the people who own an iPhone do not own many other apple products. I got my phone because I was able to download conversion programs and browse the internet with a full browser when I needed to look up information for work. It makes gauge and measurement conversions fast, I can check on prices of materials, look up different processes for welding and double check metallurgical specs from manufacturers. It cut down on a lot of hassle. Games and youtube vids are just a bonus. who cares if it e-mails pictures instead of sending them from phone to phone. If you really must spam pictures, just download the facebook or myspace app and post them there.

iTeamKill

Dec 17, 2007
RAKtheUndead said:
The iPhone is not unequivocally bad, but it is distinctly disappointing in many areas. The OS sucks, the whole thing is crippled with its proprietary approach and you don't even get features which every other single smartphone on the market has - what sort of phone doesn't allow you to change the battery or expand memory with an external card?
the OS is sleek, simple, and fast. I love it. better then any other crappy korean phone I've ever owned.

as for memory, I bought the 8gig one and have yet to max the memory. I still have my old ipod 80gig for my entire library. secondly, the battery may be a downside, but if the battery lasts for about 3 years, won't there just be a new version of the iphone to upgrade too anyways? my old LG's, nokia, and samsung, I've never owned the phone long enough to actually need a new battery, except for one LG, but that battery lasted me 4 months and they covered it under warranty.

essal

Mar 29, 2009
how about the NES/SNES/GBC/GBA/SEGA emulators?

they were one of the major reasons i got an ipod touch instead of a ds

PayNSprayBandit

Dec 27, 2008
Mertruve said:
PayNSprayBandit said:
Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of mac, never have been. My first computer was an Apple and it didn't run Starcraft. And so began a long relationship of hate between us. That said, I love my iPhone to death. I got the 3G, it's the first thing I've bought from Apple since the 90's and it's awesome. It's like the Batcomputer, portable edition. When I was 8 I asked my parents for a portable radio that had in it everything electronic that I could name, they looked at me like I was out of my mind. Who would make such a thing? Well, after more than a decade, I found out the answer. Apple.
Uh, you DO know they weren't first?
First to do it well; and I am interested to see what is done with androids, but still I stand by the iPhone proudly.

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
oliveira8 said:
cabooze said:
oliveira8 said:
But the iPhone is horrible...
Apple assasins are already at your front door, bail out the window and then start following the white rabbit.
Apple? hahaha What will they do? Club me to death with their sub-par products? Their apple tracker will run out of battery before they turn it on!

So let them come! I have Creative Mp3, windows OS and Siemens phones to fend myself!
Apple assasins take their name very litteraly. Don't walk under apple trees and watch out for cans of apple sauce tossed from rooftops.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I haven't seen any evidence that the iphone/ipod touch sales are hurting either Sony's or Nintendo's handheld market in anyway... so i doubt it'll sell as a handheld device. i AM considering getting an ipod touch though, but certainly not for games.

Phase_9

Oct 18, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Phase_9 said:
I highly doubt Sony or Nintendo give a crap about the iPhone. The games aren't good, they are just cheaper.
Yeah, thats never helped a platform
*couqhWIIcough*
The Wii isn't doing well because it is cheap. The Wii is doing well because there are games that are easy to play and fun for a large demographic.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Daveman said:
MaxTheReaper said:
You don't decide if you're a fanboy.
I do.
Frankly, they look shiny, but I'd be happy with my old Nokia phone. It didn't even flip open, but it made calls.
My MP3 player is a lot more compact and sturdier.
I do choose if I'm a fanboy or not.
1) I only have an iphone, nothing else apple, the main reason I was so apprehensive at first to get one is because itunes utterly screwed my old computer
2) I argue on windows' side in the mac vs. pc arguments (as any gamer would)

They look shiny, hmmm, like every other modern phone on the market? Seriously, the looks really don't make it any better. It's like a shiny black brick. Basically it is practical and has a million and one different functions, its only apple haters that don't like it.
How can you objectively decide if you're a fanboy? Insane people never think they're insane. Being a fan of something is fine. Being a fanboy means you recognize no faults in it, which means you are stupid.

Incidentally, it was a joke in the first place.

Number two means you are not a fanboy. See, simple?

I...know the looks don't make it any better. Why are you telling me something I already clearly know?
Also, "shiny" wasn't really supposed to mean "shiny," but something tells me you never watched Firefly.

Only Apple haters..okay, now you're pulling out the fanboy arguments.
"Anyone who doesn't like it is a hater!"
I just don't care about the iPhone. I don't need my phone to fly and fight crime and pick up whores for me, I just need it to make calls.
I don't hate Apple, I just don't use their products. Well, I used iTunes, but I got tired of paying for music.
I realise it was a joke. I just couldn't take the risk that it wasn't and that I was being called a fanboy.
I still say apple haters say it's horrible because there of plenty of other crappy pieces of kit on the market and to single out the iPhone is unfair and silly. I admit it is fair to do so if they say it's the new Jesus or something.

Shadowlolz

Mar 25, 2009
Iphone is doing well as a handheld but at the end of the day its still a phone and your game being unterruooted by a ohine call is a flow-braker that the systemsdont have anissue with now its not gonna bug you if you interrupt a golf game but when you get stuff like MGS: Touch that is a nail in its coffin. its the Wii of handhelds itll make a stand this year and then ppl will see the gimmick.