Should the mentally challenged be allowed to procreate?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
A friend and I were having a discussion. He mentioned he doesn't think mentally challenged people should procreate. I'm not sure what side of the fence I fall on. I can understand they're human too but also that having more challenged children wouldn't be helping anyone. What do you think?

Starnerf

The X makes it sound cool
Jun 26, 2008
I would think those mentally challenged enough to be unfit parents probably won't be procreating anyway. Or the person they procreate with would hopefully be able to handle the responsibility.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Not all mentally challenged people have mentally challenged children, nor do all non-mentally challenged people have non-mentally challenged kids.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
i guess it all depends on if the mental challenge is genetic or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOcQ3-Q8uZ0

watch this video and you will definaetly be in favour of eugenics

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
a few governments have done this sort of thing before. especially when they were having financial problems. removing the welfare classes that just breed more welfare babies seemed like a good idea at the time.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Restricting the rights of procreation to certain people sounds like a recipe for disaster. How does one determine if they are fit to give birth to children? Will everyone be forced to go through tests? Who will regulate these tests? Why would these people get to decide what is acceptable? I probably trust the government with more things than most people do, but I would never want them to control breeding. It could only lead to one thing; discrimination on a genetic level. And that's one thing our society could do without.

NeedAUserName said:
Not all mentally challenged people have mentally challenged children, nor do all non-mentally challenged people have non-mentally challenged kids.
It's also important to keep this in mind.

HappyPillz

Apr 15, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
Yup.

Anything else wouldn't be freedom.
I have to say I disagree. Some of these people live on wheelchairs and can't even feed themselves. What part about their lives are 'free'?

OT: I realy don't think they should. Not to be mean, but why would anyone want to dilute and weaken the speacies by encouraging the reproduction of the weakest links? Of course it would also depend if their mental condition is genetic or not.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Should the mentally challenged have the basic civil right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness that is the very founding principle of this country? Should they be treated like human beings with human rights and not marginalized by elitist swine who want to "improve the gene pool"? How about atheists (or Christians, or Muslims, or Scientologists)? Gays? Republicans? Where does it end with you?

Anyone who says that another human being doesn't have the same basic human rights as anyone else needs to practice their own form of population control. The kind that was amply demonstrated by Private Pyle in the bathroom in Full Metal Jacket.

And fuck anyone who disagrees. People like your friend make me sick to my stomach.

Free Thinker

Apr 23, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
Restricting the rights of procreation to certain people sounds like a recipe for disaster. How does one determine if they are fit to give birth to children? Will everyone be forced to go through tests? Who will regulate these tests? Why would these people get to decide what is acceptable? I probably trust the government with more things than most people do, but I would never want them to control breeding. It could only lead to one thing; discrimination on a genetic level. And that's one thing our society could do without.

NeedAUserName said:
It's also important to keep this in mind.
Then I would be somewhat screwed. There are no accounts of mental disability in my family, but I have quite a few genetic proverbial kick in the balls. I have a genetic disposition to cancer, stroke, high blood pressure, and I have a the genetic disorder of partial colorblindness.
OT: I'm highly divided by this. Mentally challenged have a higher possibility of their offspring to suffer from disabilities, but high doesn't mean guaranteed. I would go along 100% with them having the full right if the possibility of curing the disabilities during pregnancy or after birth.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Swollen Goat said:
I don't care if they do or not, but I sure as hell don't think the government should have to pay for/raise them when the parents are incapable.
Yeah, especially in America. I mean, when the founders of our country mentioned "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness," they didn't believe they were fundamental to all people.

HappyPillz said:
OT: I realy don't think they should. Not to be mean, but why would anyone want to dilute and weaken the speacies by encouraging the reproduction of the weakest links? Of course it would also depend if their mental condition is genetic or not.
Many of the worst monsters of the last hundred years or two made that sort of argument.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
First, decide on what, exactly, constitutes at "mentally challenged?" Where do we draw the line and decide A is mentally OK, and B is retarded. If we can't come to a consensus, then I'd let the "mentally challenged" retain their freedom to knock each other up.