Shovel Knight Review - Digging For Trouble

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Shovel Knight Review - Digging For Trouble

A charming game that resurrects the frustrations of old school platforming ... for better or worse.

Read Full Article

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Wfinitely getting this game for my Wii U and PC to support the devs. The game sounds just as difficult as how the old Ducktales games were, and seeing as Yacht Club was going for that it sounds as if they succeeded.
Now, time to sit down and wait for A Hat in Time. :D
*sits down and waits*

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Those "medusa heads" are super tricky. Until you get, in the second/third stage, a sub-weapon which, when used in the air or on the ground, makes you temporarily invincible and then, in the fourth stage, learn to use it through a series of challenges expressly designed to teach you how to time your invulnerability.

But as long as you completely ignore the game's mechanics, yes, I suppose those enemies are "annoying" and pose some sort of "risk."

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
I just wanna know when I can BUY it. E-shop says the 26th, but it's NOT FOR SALE YET.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Comparing it to Dark Souls did the trick.

Will pass on this one. As much as the look of the game was enticing.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
RvLeshrac said:
Those "medusa heads" are super tricky. Until you get, in the second/third stage, a sub-weapon which, when used in the air or on the ground, makes you temporarily invincible and then, in the fourth stage, learn to use it through a series of challenges expressly designed to teach you how to time your invulnerability.

But as long as you completely ignore the game's mechanics, yes, I suppose those enemies are "annoying" and pose some sort of "risk."
Or you learn their movement patterns and learn how to use your primary weapon (including *gasp* timing) to knock the medusa heads out of the air as you jump. One of many skills that are taught in old school games.

There might be certain sections of Castlevania and my beloved Mega Man games that I curse when I get to (the moving block sections, especially Heat Man), but I know they can be beaten with persistance. Not everyone has that patience and persistance anymore (or at least don't want it in a game), but I've been looking forward to Shovel Knight :).

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I downloaded it last night and had a lot of fun with what I've played thus far. It does get hard, but I do agree that it is fair, outside of the "medusa head" moments because Jesus Christ. I pretty much agree with the review of what I've played, and I really do enjoy what Yacht Club did with it.

I backed this game when I first heard of it and I'm really glad that it's a pretty solid game. Fun little silly game for my 3DS.

Good review Jim. :D

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
Jumwa said:
Comparing it to Dark Souls did the trick.

Will pass on this one. As much as the look of the game was enticing.
having played it for a bit as a kickstarter backer, while I see where the "dark souls" claim comes in, its not as crushingly mean as dark souls. you can take many hits unless you fall prey to the aforementioned pits or spikes, and the amount of gold you find per level still means even if you lose one or two deaths worth of gold, you'll have plenty left, at least as far as I've seen. so its worth a try despite the difficulty.

Valderis said:
Fuuuuuck! So it has a shitty losing mechanic? I was so hoping this game wouldn't have any bullshit in it.

I guess that's just impossible these days.

Oh gaming, when will you finally grow up?
calling it shitty is a bit harsh I think. Jim may say significant, but when its only 3 bags of a few hundred each, when you're finding a few thousands or more per level, its not really that much. if you still think that's bullshit.......you must have odd standards for a bad "Continue" mechanic

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
I may be a bit biased as I was a backer but I've been loving this game. It's very charming. I haven't run into too many of those "medusa head" moments yet but maybe I am not far enough. Thanks for the review Jim

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Ok, having bought it, played it, gotten through the first few levels (and an hour or so), the death mechanic is both a bit exaggerated and still annoying. it appears to be about 1/3 or 1/4 of your total unspent gold, that will manifest as floating money bags about where you died. it's not ultra harsh, aside from if you died from falling into a bottomless pit...in which case, those bags are going to be floating over the pit, likely out of your reach. The Castlevania analogs are pretty good, it's a 'take your time and be careful' type of game, rather than 'run forward shovels blazing'.

Only really 'unfair' point I've found was Spectre Knight's darkness segments, where you can't see yourself, platforms, or most enemies, except for during itermitent lightning strikes...which seem to be random. Considering some of this takes place on moving platforms, it's the most 'artificial difficulty' I've seen...but again, I'm not TOO far in.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
is there something discouraging you from just dying at a convenient location to refill your health?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Eh, I'd say the comparisons to Medusa Heads are rather poor, not in that it's not a style of difficulty found in Shovel Knight but in that the Medusa Heads really aren't that bad. Yes they can be annoying and are often placed in a such a way that they cause you difficulties, but they also have an extremely predictable movement pattern and always appear in the same place at the same time. Quite frankly, if specifically placed challenges that test my knowledge of the game in a fair and predictable way, just as the Medusa Heads do, is something that I can expect in Shovel Knight then I'm afraid I can't see that as a negative.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I got interested in this game when I saw Epicnamebro's video preview of it on Youtube. Nice to see that the game seems to have delivered.

Now here's hoping it's also released on the EU 3DS E-shop in the foreseeable future.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I got this game as soon as it came out (around 1pm for me), and then suddenly it was dinner time. So thanks, Yacht Games for stealing my entire day. I'm not sure if I mean that sarcastically or not.
Uratoh said:
Ok, having bought it, played it, gotten through the first few levels (and an hour or so), the death mechanic is both a bit exaggerated and still annoying. it appears to be about 1/3 or 1/4 of your total unspent gold, that will manifest as floating money bags about where you died. it's not ultra harsh, aside from if you died from falling into a bottomless pit...in which case, those bags are going to be floating over the pit, likely out of your reach.
It's my experience that the bags will float up a decent ways when you die in a pit. Only once have I died in such a way that one of my money bags couldn't be reached. I'd say that's a small price to pay for not having to deal with an arbitrary life system.
Valderis said:
Fuuuuuck! So it has a shitty losing mechanic? I was so hoping this game wouldn't have any bullshit in it.

A game is always going to have some penalty for dying. For what it's worth, the upgrades aren't so vital that not being able to afford them will hinder you in any great way.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Valderis said:

Oh no, slight penalties for death. How horrid that you lose a small amount of gold that you can easily get back when you die.

Also while I understand where Jim is coming from I think he over exaggerates the "Medusa Head" moments a bit. I've run up against a few of them here and there, but there are several items in the game that make it easy to get past these moments. Heck one item even gives you invincibility for 3 seconds and can be used literally at any point, even mid jump. Why not play the game before saying the game is BS. If nothing else watch a Let's Play before being so harsh.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I picked it up on 3DS like the moment 9am struck the west coast yesterday. I had since made it up to the 2nd level of the Fortress and I didn't find any part of the game too difficult or unfair.

The only REALLY challenging bits were Plague Knight because he is a fucking fleaman on speed, and Propeller Knight's level because it was almost too awesome. Bouncing on cannon balls over large pits, and having crazy wind direction shifts that blow you up and down or up and to the right alternately was pretty crazy.

I also initially cried foul at a room in the first fortress level until I realized I had to watch the raindrops like in Metroid Prime.

Honestly pretty much every level so far (I probably have 1-2 to go) has had something really great, and challenging, or unusual. Some of them honestly make me squee in delight.

There are so many freaking secrets!

I still haven't found some stuff in Polar/Propeller and thats just what I KNOW I've missed.

The bonus levels are even harder and they are FUN.

The bosses are easily on par or better than any Mega Man boss I've fought and I've played practically all of them (the ones in this style anyways).

The first 2 bosses are pretty easy, but fun and they each have their quirks. Then things get progressively more difficult.

I'm one of those people that prefers to do Mega Buster only runs on Mega Man games through the levels, only using the sub weapons as required. This game however scares me at the prospect of ever getting the Feat where you beat the game with no relics.

The Feat system is like the one in MM9 but far more forgiving. For example there isn't a Feat for taking no damage the entire game. There are ones for collecting no money, spending no money, no damage on a level, on a boss, no deaths, no falling in pits etc. so you can tackle them all together or bit by bit as you like.

The one where you beat the game under 1h30m strikes me as being possibly the hardest one as its a pretty beefy game. The levels themselves are a happy medium between say Mega Man 2, and the ridiculously long ones with little to no checkpoints in your more well known Mega Man fan games.

On the subject of money, there are several things to buy, but you should never be in need of cash. There is plenty even if you die often. You can totally get everything you need money for easily with plenty to spare and then its more like having a high score.

Every Relic is useful (though I rarely found myself using the bouncy ball outside of Plague Knight simply to make my life easier) and fun to use. The magic system is not overly restrictive, so you will always have mp for your items if you don't go nuts.

There is even an armor set that gives you 50 more than max mp, and enemies drop more mana pots, at the cost of taking extra damage in case you really wanna burn them with fire.

There are a variety of armors, and some shovel upgrades. I'm surprised there weren't more shovel upgrades though.

The game is FUNNY! While there are plenty of groan worthy puns, a few are quite laughable.

And most importantly there is the Troupple King. Long may his stem grow!

If you are a fan of Wayforward's Shantae series, then this game will probably resolve every thing you were disappointed with in them.

Its much longer, it has more characters, it has better combat, magic, items, music, challenge, and so one. It even arguably has better dancing, though it IS so far lacking in skimpy outfits and cute monkeys.

I eagerly await all the additional (I believe it will be free) content on the way in the future, as well as any future games from Yachtclub. They are the real deal, and I hope they take off like Fromsoftware or Atlus which are just about the only 2 companies left that make the games I like to play.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Valderis said:

Its really not that bad - you lose some money when you die, but if you make it back to where you lost it on your next life you can get it all back. If you're having trouble getting enough money to get upgrades you can always replay earlier stages to farm a bit - as it isn't a finite resource. I haven't really had a problem with it to be honest, I'm about halfway through the game and I can count the number of times I've permanently lost money on one hand.

Really more than anything the most important thing is to explore and keep your eyes open for the secret areas where the games sub-weapons are, because properly using those can make your life much easier. There's one that grants you a few seconds of invincibility in particular that is handy for some of the trickier platforming sections.