Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Ah yes, I remember seeing that video...

Now here's one that shows that we're even smaller:

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
rokkolpo said:
Woodsey said:
Mathematically speaking (and in a similar vain to 0.9 recurring being equal to 1) I'd put forward the argument that we don't exist.
how do you support that statement?
Well, with 0.9 recurring you have 2 numbers separate numbers which are taken to be equivalent. Likewise, if the Universe is infinite (I assume that's still a popular theory) then surely we can't be measured against it in any real way. In theory there'd be several 0.0's recurring before you hit a 1 down the line, but you never really would. Similar, not the same.

Anyway, even if the universe is finite, then I'd still argue the same thing. Look at how small we are compared to Canis Majoris. You can't see us for several comparisons before we even get to Canis Majoris. So, even measured to that star alone, we'd be rounded down to a 0% share of that space.

Then look at the universe, with 100 billion galaxies. We go so far to a 0% share hold of the universe's space that that's what we, mathematically, must be equal to.

I'm not saying we don't exist, I'm saying that mathematically we don't.

Life_Is_A_Mess

Sep 10, 2009
Woodsey said:
rokkolpo said:
Woodsey said:
Mathematically speaking (and in a similar vain to 0.9 recurring being equal to 1) I'd put forward the argument that we don't exist.
Well, with 0.9 recurring you have 2 numbers separate numbers which are taken to be equivalent. Likewise, if the Universe is infinite (I assume that's still a popular theory) then surely we can't be measured against it in any real way. In theory there'd be several 0.0's recurring before you hit a 1 down the line, but you never really would. Similar, not the same.

Anyway, even if the universe is finite, then I'd still argue the same thing. Look at how small we are compared to Canis Majoris. You can't see us for several comparisons before we even get to Canis Majoris. So, even measured to that star alone, we'd be rounded down to a 0% share of that space.

Then look at the universe, with 100 billion galaxies. We go so far to a 0% share hold of the universe's space that that's what we, mathematically, must be equal to.

... wow, nice theory, I totally agree with you. XD

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Personally I cannot comprehend VY Canis Majoris. I Just can't imagine anything that big.

Kinda cool ain't it =]

Dec 14, 2008
Woodsey said:
And operating under faux quantum physics (I really have no idea if I even get the gist of it) I could argue that we create everything in existence.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Woodsey said:
rokkolpo said:
Woodsey said:

damn i thought this was going to be a philosophical argument. i can't beat math. *murble* going all teacher on me *grunt*.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
philosophicalbastard said:
Woodsey said:
And operating under faux quantum physics (I really have no idea if I even get the gist of it) I could argue that we create everything in existence.
Good for you.

I have no idea what you mean.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Simalacrum said:
Ah yes, I remember seeing that video...

Now here's one that shows that we're even smaller:

just when you think they can't go bigger....you realise you're only on 50% of the vid.

mind is blown!

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
It annoys me that we'll probably never leave the solar system, there's too much universe to explore!

The only feasible way to visit anything outside of our solar system is to invent portals of some sort to instantly zap to a location. Or some sort of hyperdrive thing where you travel faster than the speed of light.

Dmatix

Feb 3, 2009
It's utterly terrifying, and amazingly beautiful at the same time.
What a strange and wondrous universe we live in.

Dec 14, 2008
Woodsey said:
Woodsey said:
Good for you.

When you get down to the sub-sub-sub...-atomic level in this universe distinctions between things get fuzzy and undefined. Particles have the ability to be in two places at once in that state. But if its observed the fuzzieniss goes away and everything is clearly defined. In other words, if a tree falls in the woods and no one sees it, the tree didn't fall. Yet if someone goes to the spot where the tree fell and observes a fallen tree, then it did fall.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Woodsey said:
Woodsey said:
Good for you.

When you get down to the sub-sub-sub...-atomic level in this universe distinctions between things get fuzzy and undefined. Particles have the ability to be in two places at once in that state. But if its observed the fuzzieniss goes away and everything is clearly defined. In other words, if a tree falls in the woods and no one sees it, the tree didn't fall. Yet if someone goes to the spot where the tree fell and observes a fallen tree, then it did fall.
Going by your name anyway, doesn't that have far more to do with philosophy?

Dec 14, 2008
Woodsey said:
Going by your name anyway, doesn't that have far more to do with philosophy?
It has philosophical applications, but its real science. The one partical in two places thing also gives some support to the idea of alternative universes.