Shows/Movies/Games that you just couldn't get into

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
How dare he be so specific as to tell you that one of the party members has a warhorse! Sorry, joking aside, I actually reread the chapter since it's fairly short and I was genuinely curious to see if he recycles words that much. He only uses it about 4-5 times. He's just making a point that the one guy has a better horse than the others (and that kind of goes with the smug douchebag's personality).
I'm not saying GRRM is an amazing writer or anything. Just, why'd you pick that out of all examples. Why not point out how he must always be hungry when he writes given the effort he puts into describing meals?
It just came to mind because it stuck out to me so much. Whenever he finds a new big word, he loves to use it a lot. You only need to be told that the horse is bigger than the others once, not remind us of it every few paragraphs.

TheRiddler

Sep 21, 2013
TV

Game of Thrones: Basically, I know it's supposed to be great, but I just can't follow it. Too many characters in too many locations, none that I really give too much of a shit about. Sorry.

Lost: I suspect this is because I came late to the game, watching years after the finale aired. I feel like Lost mostly worked because it was a tenuous, plot-twisty thing that everyone was talking about when it aired, and constantly theorizing about. Without that element, it doesn't really work for me.

The Office: I don't actually have anything specific against it. I don't know, I was just sort of bored.

Game

Dark Souls: Reason should be fairly obvious. The game seems to despise its players. I mean, after two attempts to kill the Taurus Demon with all of my firebombs, followed by five attempts to beat it by just burying my face in its ass and slashing, I just decided that I really wasn't quite masochistic enough to continue.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
miketehmage said:
For me it's Zelda. I know its widely considered to be a great series of games but I never played it when i was young and it never really interested me. The other day I tried to play one of them (couldn't tell you which) at my girlfriends house, because I know they are classic games and I really wanted to try to enjoy it.

But I think I played for about 20 minutes before I stopped.

I had to herd some goats, then I had to buy a slingshot but the shopkeeper refused to sell to me because his cat was missing so I had to bring the cat back, but in order to bring the cat back i needed it to follow me, and for it to follow me I needed a fish, and to get a fish I had to get a fishing rod, and to get a fishing rod I had to bring some woman a cradle or something. And to get the cradle I had to pick a flower and blow it like a whistle so that a hawk would come down and land on my arm so that i could throw that hawk at a monkey.

Fuck you Zelda.

I dunno man, I thought I was gonna get to go on an epic quest and throw a boomerang at bad guys, but 100% of my time was spent dicking around. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance, but I had a feeling that thats just the way the game is, and I wasn't enjoying it. I thought I would likely find myself in similar situations. I imagine coming to a door I need to go through but to get through I need 7 keys which are scattered across the world. Fuck that. I hate that sidetracking shit.

But to each their own I suppose.
You're talking about twilight princess, and the slow start was a fairly big complaint from a lot of fans. Personally I liked it, as I understand what they were going for, and it's the same reason that the first while of lord of the rings is just people chilling out in the shire. The epic questy stuff kicks in about 1-2 hours in, and from there it just builds and builds on this grand adventure that takes you from dark, underground caves to high mountaintops, and everything in between, all leading up to a fantastic finale, and becoming (in my opinion) a perfect game.

But I realise it's not for everyone. If you want a Zelda game that gets into the action much quicker, try link to the past. The 3D ones tend to be the slow starting ones, but your best bet if you want one of those would be Ocarina of time, which makes you dick around a little bit at first, but mostly just to get you used to the controls, before throwing you into the first dungeon.

Sorry, I'm rambling on a bit here. Back to the thread topic.

Played the first few hours of Final Fantasy VII due to the high amount of praise, but I've never cared much for turn-based combat, and I don't like having to level-grind. The story was good, from what I saw, and I'll try to finish it at some point, but it's not really my kind of game.

Bioshock. The story was damn good, but I got so pissed off at the amount of times the game won't let you proceed without dicking around for a couple of hours taking photographs/collecting things/whatever.

Breaking bad. The only character I liked was Mike, and he didn't show up until season 4. I will never understand what people saw in a show with so many annoying characters. I am, however looking forward the spin-off with Saul.

SGT_Noobnuts

May 30, 2014
TheRiddler said:
Dark Souls: Reason should be fairly obvious. The game seems to despise its players. I mean, after two attempts to kill the Taurus Demon with all of my firebombs, followed by five attempts to beat it by just burying my face in its ass and slashing, I just decided that I really wasn't quite masochistic enough to continue.
I think that the Taurus Demon is the true make or break part of the game. It is in a way a good gauge to see if you really do want to play this game and whether you will enjoy it or not. I think that they should've made the boss a tiny little bit easier and actually have a tutorial for the game, might've made the game more accessible and those who've beaten it a little less irritatingly smug.

And Yahtzee did say that that boss was (and I quote) "As forgiving as a stand-up routine at the Nuremburg Trials"

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Game of thrones for TV show. Usually I love a lot of lore, but at the same time, it's too much lore. My brain felt like it wanted to explode.

Games though, it's the Halo series. Except for Reach, I hated every game but Reach. I don't know why. I got why they were good, but I never liked them myself.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
I will only list stuff that I've tried to do stuff with:

1. The Walking Dead (TV/game) - broken premise (yes, your first thought about a zinfestation is to stay in the zinfestation zone), uninteresting characters, predictable plot. Game: also #4.

2. Dark Souls - I'll get around to it when I fix that mess on the PC.

3. Most superhero movies, aside from Ironman - The humans are always, ALWAYS incredibly stupid. You have potential allies, MAKE FRIENDS WITH THEM. What the fuck do you think it is going to happen if you shoot at them?

4. Any game with Player-Mover-Syndrome (Uncharted, Tomb Raider 2013, etc...). So it is a movie but instead of fast-forward, I have to move them from spot A to B with full knowledge that everything I do means fuck all in the game.

5. The Witcher - I'll play it as soon as they get rid of Geralt.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I've been hearing everyone loving Kingdom Hearts and raving about KH3.

So I finally got it to play it and I just simply can't. Maybe it's because I just remembered that I can't stand half of disney's characters or maybe it's because I'm not 14 anymore that the campyness of the game is way too much for me and I couldn't continue with it.

Also..some of the older RPG's from the golden days (Icewind Dale etc) I couldn't get into because of my tolerance of graphical fidelity.

JMan

Jun 18, 2008
Extra-Ordinary said:
TV/Movies:

- Doctor Who: It's just way too long, anything more than ten seasons and that's it for me.
Then start from Eccleston. That way there's only seven seasons.

solidmetal

Jul 11, 2012
- All the RTS, MOBA, Sport and Fighting games. I know, alot of people like it but for me they just... shit.
- Most of anime (surprisingly i like JRPG).
- Recent Marvel movie (guess i'm just sick of them).
- Lost, Firefly and True Blood (i hate all the characters in those show, well Lost have one or two alright character but that not enough)

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
*activates flameshield*

Lord of the rings. I watched them when I was younger and I was really bored. I like the battle scenes but felt everything else was a bit dull. I really want to watch it again as I think id probably enjoy it now that id be able to understand whats going on

It was the same with the matrix. I never really understood it and I like the action scenes. When I rewatched it I really enjoyed it and its one of the best film ever made

JustCallMeJonny

Oct 26, 2013
[Kira Must Die said:
]Spice and Wolf- The trading/economical didn't grab me. I would've prefered it if the show was more about their travels, the various people they meet, and the situations they get into, but they spend so much time on talking about the different kinds of coins that the show kinda bored me. I haven't seen the second season so I don't know if they focus less on that aspect or not later.
There is a story arc in the second season that is pretty much all about exchange rates. I surprisingly enjoyed the economics side of the series. I thought that it would be the most boring thing ever.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me it would have to be any Gundam series. The idea of giant mechs battling it out in space sounds awesome on paper, but I get bored extremely fast. Now I did watch a fair amount of Gundam Seed Destiny. I watched about 30+ episodes within the span of a weekend. Afterwards I felt super ill which was strange because I rarely get sick. So in my mind, I correlate that to the series infecting me.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
Games
Pokemon - I guess I was just too old to get pulled in by it. The way that the pokemon can only say their own name also annoyed me. Either let them talk or don't.
Legend of Zelda - flew completely under my radar as a kid. I played Wind Waker and couldn't force myself through the tutorial. Tried link to the past a couple years later and got stuck on a boss and declared myself done. Some big worm thing that you had to hit in the tail.
Persona - a great rpg buried under a school life sim that bored me to tears.

TV
Battlestar Galactica - by all accounts a great show that a sci fi fan like me should be all over yet zero interest after half a season. No idea why.
Most shows about hospitals - they all either feel like ER ( good actual medical drama supported by mediocre personal drama) or Grey's Anatomy (soap opera drama occasionally supported by actually interesting medical drama). The only exception was Scrubs and even that kinda got old after awhile.

Books
The Lord of the Rings - I finally got around to reading them shortly before the movies started coming out. I hated them and gave up halfway through book 2. Tolkein was an amazing wolrdbuilder but a rather mediocre writer. Most of it felt more like a history textbook than a fantasy epic. The movies were great because they condensed a lot of that. And cut out Tom Bombadil entirely a pointless character that held up the plot for far too long and had no impact later on.

Anime
No Game no Life - not sure how popular it actually is but my roommate can't stop raving about it. 2 episodes in I just don't get it. All I see is 2 neurotic wierdos sucked into an alternate reality by a bored god, a weird oversaturated color pallette and a ditzy moron love interest. I just don't get it.

SGT_Noobnuts

May 30, 2014
darkcalling said:
Anime
No Game no Life - not sure how popular it actually is but my roommate can't stop raving about it. 2 episodes in I just don't get it. All I see is 2 neurotic wierdos sucked into an alternate reality by a bored god, a weird oversaturated color pallette and a ditzy moron love interest. I just don't get it.
Oh thank god! I'm not the only one who really doesn't care for the show! I recognise why people would like the show. I really do, but I just can't stand it! The colours are so garish, the main leads are amazingly unlikable, it really has its head up its own anus in regards to the laws of probability and stratergising and it is really insultingly creepy with its fan service elements as well as being a very VERY moe show.

Though again this is my own opinion but the shows staggering popularity this season is truly mystifying to me.