Shut Out The World With This Japanese Isolation Booth

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
Micalas said:
IanDavis said:
The Japanese manufacturer depicts various ways they anticipate the pod being used, such as ... watching The Phantom Menace while drinking alone ...
Possibly the greatest thing I've ever read. I want to buy one because of this single line in a news post.
"Virgin Bourbon", no less. I think a certain "Japanese manufacturer" enjoys a little joke. :)

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
As others have said this doesn't make sense outside the context of Japan's very cramped cities. But I could see a soundproofed DIY version gaining popularity elsewhere.

LG Jargon

Feb 9, 2012
I love how 90% of the posts are people complaining about how it's not soundproofed and that they could make one for much less. I'm not mocking anyone, either; I actually agree with them. I'm just getting a good chuckle or two.

But yeah, all the stuff that ought to be in the base model aren't there, most notably soundproofing and ventilation. Even if you requested additional features, an $8,000 price for the bare-bones pod is ludicrous. The only thing I could see me using it for is either studying or napping: just set a pillow on the desk and pretend it's a desk at school.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I feel like it'd get hermatic in there real quick.
weirdee said:
Screw contemplating a Gundam collection, I'd just build my own pilot cockpit inside that thing.
I like the way you think n_____n

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Decent concept. Make it soundproof, provide some HVAC, and I'm there.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Pretty much the materialists sensory deprivation chamber. I really don't know who the target market is.. well, not with that price-tag anyways.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Line this bad boy with acoustic tiles to sound proof it, and like mentioned earlier, drill a hole to keep your rig/electronics outside to keep the heat down. I can use that. I can use some peace and quiet for a change.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I sort of feel like this isn't worth eight thousand dollars. It's a small desk with a chair, non-soundproof walls and a shelf. It doesn't even have a monitor or anything in it. My current desk is way more spacious.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
I can see it being a really good tool for studying... but if I really wanted to study something, I'd go to a library or something. :/

Burchy22

Oct 1, 2012
I.....don't get it?
There is just so many Japanese inventions that make me take a step back and think "What is the point?" And I never figure it out. Its as if whenever the Japanese invent something they never ask themselves "What is the purpose of the thing we are about to invent?"

"Necessity is the mother of invention" Unless you are from Japan in which case "I'm bored and I feel like it" is the mother of invention.